PDA

View Full Version : squirreles questions

ctdcb18b
10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
ok so i hope this is the right place to be posting this one so here we go
so i live in ct and we are hmm overpopulated imo there are little patches of woods left that are private non sate land and i have my camp set up on one of them its 470 acres of land and i spent 6 hrs out there scouting the game trails and what not i did not see one squirrle so i am wondering if i where to trap say 5 of them at my home in town where there are tons of squirreles and i relocate them to the 470 would they stay there is tons of acorn trees and a 12 acre lake and beaver pond on the property
id like to hope they would say i would have to do this in the spring and early summer im guessing so people let me know what yall think please
thanks guys

mountainmark
10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd bring in some grey ones. Leave the reds behind...... small and loud......

Though if there aren't any, may be a reason. High domestic cat population? May have to deal with them first.

My thought is that if the conditions are right for squirrels, they will come on their own. If you wan't to try introducing them, go right ahead.

Mischief
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Do a mast survey first,you may find the lack of mast the problem.

Rick
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
If it's private land you might want to clear that with the owner. And just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. 470 acres is a bit of land to survey for a tree rat. They can see you generally long before you see them.

JPGreco
10-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Also forest critters tend to be more skittish. The urban squirrels will take food out of your hand.

pete lynch
10-20-2012, 05:27 AM
You would see more of them if you stayed in one place for a while.

ctdcb18b
10-23-2012, 12:18 PM
thanks guys
yea there are no leaves on the trees up here anymore and i spent a few hrs hiking around from the lake to the road and back looking up for the little guys but i saw no nests or squirrels but i saw plenty of acorn trees
last year we had a snow storm hit us bad in oct it was early in the year so i think that might have messed them up a bit
and i was thinking if hey all moved into the neighborhoods because its easier for them to survive then there are no new population happening in the woods its in peoples back yards now

as for the property it belongs to a bank who has owned it for the last 25 years the property is selling for 8 million $$$$$ no one will pay that to live in that area lol thats why its bif up for sale for 25 years

so this was my thought i figure ill make 10 to 12 wooden boxes with a whole on the tops like pre made homes for the guys and put them up in trees neighborind the acorn trees then my friend and i will do like a weeks worth of live trapping of squirrels and do a mass release of them from are shelter then they will have homes to go to already built so the population we release should stay in this pre made area so my thought is that any others released in the area may stay and stick whi the others right ... well i will find out

as for big cats we dont have many big cats here in ct

Bazz
11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Here in the UK we are being overrun by grey squirrels,they are actually pushing our red squirrells out.The greys are a pest,they take eggs and chicks out of nests and damage trees by stripping the bark.Some misguided town folk actually like them and put food out for them.The local Gamekeepers and farmere detest them and trap,poison or shoot them.We have had them in our garden pinching the bird food,i have actually trapped two shot one and my son has shot one.

ElevenBravo
11-04-2012, 05:00 PM
You would see more of them if you stayed in one place for a while.

Yup! When hiking I may see 2 or 3... If I cop a squat and rest a while, Ill see dozens zoom in and out my A.O. HA HA!

pete lynch
11-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Yup! When hiking I may see 2 or 3... If I cop a squat and rest a while, Ill see dozens zoom in and out my A.O. HA HA!

Going to get my acronyms dictionary. Be right back!

Rick
11-04-2012, 07:02 PM
You must have a pretty large A.O. for squirrels to zoom in and out. Mind you, I've seen some mighty big A.O.s before but never one THAT big.

hunter63
11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
You must have a pretty large A.O. for squirrels to zoom in and out. Mind you, I've seen some mighty big A.O.s before but never one THAT big.

Yeah, especially a cop squatting an A.O..........

Wildthang
11-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Well my friends all calle me an A.O., and I have gotten accustomed to it being an affectionate term. Hunter and Rick are big A.O.'s as well:smartass:

ElevenBravo
11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Area of Operation (AO), for my rest it was 50X50 meters square. :-)

ElevenBravo
11-06-2012, 02:19 AM
I think you are thinking of Alpha Hotel, not the same... But Ive met a few!

ctdcb18b
11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
my little A.O is 370 acres but in my time there i have seen sign of deer bear and beaver actually saw a few deer but still no squirrels just a few chipmunks and im not really lookin at them as a food source
but now its far to late to try a transfur any tree squirrels as we are expecting are first snow today ugh tooo early imo lol

kyratshooter
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Chipmunk are squirrels.

They are very good with ramen noodles!

hunter63
11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Well my friends all calle me an A.O., and I have gotten accustomed to it being an affectionate term. Hunter and Rick are big A.O.'s as well:smartass:

we know.....

crashdive123
11-07-2012, 01:48 PM
we know.....

Now that right there is funny. I don't care who you are.

tipacanoe
11-07-2012, 09:10 PM
It's never to late to trap greys. Just put your hava-heart under a bird feeder, and you will get them more often than you would think. Without any effort at all this summer I trapped 32. They did quite a bit of damage to the neighbors house. I have put to bridges between me and where they now live. I hope.

ctdcb18b
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
it is to late to transfer squirrels from my suburban squirrels to my little camp area i got set up