PDA

View Full Version : just a ?

ctdcb18b
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
why do people not like gerber ?
now dont get me wrong i am not a fan of the bear grylls series of gerber broducts but i do like the lines of other fixed blade knives gerber has to offer just wondering other than the bear stuff why dont people like gerber

Sourdough
10-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Beats me, some of my best fleshing knives are Gerbers. My favorite knife for skinning bear is a deep bellied Gerber.

AR7
10-11-2012, 06:31 PM
I Like Gerber. I have a Gerber BMF bought in the '80s, it's a great knife. And I have a Gerber Profile fixed knife and I'm very happy with it: Cost $20, razor sharp (hollow grind) and easy to resharp

ctdcb18b
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
cool thanks guys i just picked up the prodigy today love it so far cant wait to put it to work lol

wholsomback
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
My knife I carried in the Marines was a Gerber bootknife and I also have several others,I think it is because Bear Gryls is a moron.

jfeatherjohn
10-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Gerber has had some quality control problems in the last few years.
I bought a Gerber folder a couple of years ago, while out on the road. Within a week I was having probpems with the lock. I took the knife apart and fixed it. There was nothing wrong with the parts; it uad been assembled improperly. I still have it
A Gerber BG is my back-up survival knife, and I have put it through its paces; good knife. Unfortunatly, I also bought.the Parang, which has been recalled. Service related to this recall has been lousy. This hasn't helped the rep.
So, I've moved on to Camillus (and my Esee 4).
Too bad, because I was a big Gerber fan for a long time.
One guy's story.

crashdive123
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I have a few Gerber knives and like them just fine. I don't own any Gerber BG knives and doubt seriously that I ever will.

ctdcb18b
10-12-2012, 11:15 AM
yea the bg stuff is a poor quality in comperison to gerbers probucts however my friend ownes the bg compact survival knife and i have used it a few times i got a buck skinner knife for 20$ whal my friend spent 50$ on his bg his knife has held up better but thats likely cuz i have seriously bin misusing my skinner but i do like the compact bg knife the sheath is not so nice its like a cheap copy of the timberline mini pitbull kydex sheath only bg uses cheap plastic

i heard the bg parang had actually hurt a few people in use due to defects for a machete id go with a coldsteel product cuz dang you ever seen the product videos on them nuts crazy stuff

thanks for the input guys

Jimmyq
10-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Gerber Prodigy is my outdoors knife for the last couple years, no complaints. I think overall the opinion of the offshore manufactured Gerber products is the negative one, the product made in the US still gets respect as good quality. Their warranty dept helped me out well this past year also, my wife tossed my M600 multitool in the fire by accident and in the morning when I found it, it had the buttons melted off and wouldn't open. I emailed Gerber, told them what happened and they said send it in, we will send you a new one. They did and I am happy.

ctdcb18b
10-12-2012, 11:33 AM
yea on the back of the prodigy box it said lifetime warranty

pete lynch
10-12-2012, 12:01 PM
I have a couple caping knives from Gerber. I bought them because, more than anything, their size is right for a couple of my kits, but they are nice small fixed blade knives.
I have 5 Gerber multi-tools, 3 Suspensions and 2 Vises.
No GBs, though.

ctdcb18b
10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
nice lets see some pics of are gerber stuff loved or not

ctdcb18b
10-12-2012, 12:21 PM
so these are my gerbers
the gator back machete i have had for 3 years and its bin loved hard lol i have used it to cut through trees over a foot think and it has held up so far upsides i saw back works good holds an edge ok and has held up ok downsides it is possable because i have done it to cut your hand bad whal sawing if the saw stops and your hand dose not as the bace of the blade holds its edge very well 2 it is not full tang and part of my handle has chipped off 3 the allen head screws the hold it all togeather are through plastic and well over time you tighten them up so much you can feel it on the other side
my little gerber ez out holds is edge very well just keep it as a small knife in my pack
and my gerber prodigy i just got i yesterday its sharp as heck out the box and i cant wait to use it out at camp
cant wait to see yalls pics and stories about your gerbers

ctdcb18b
10-12-2012, 12:52 PM
so these are better pics of the damage on the gator the chip and the screw issue

Ted
10-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I love all 2 of my gerbers...lol. I may have given people the impresion I didn't in another thread ,but every deer I every skinned and fleshed were with those 2 gerbers. That is till I started making my own knives, now mine are all I use an buy.

oldsoldier
10-28-2012, 07:38 PM
,I think it is because Bear Gryls is a moron.

I agree with you although Your being a lot nicer than I would:blush:

your_comforting_company
10-29-2012, 07:55 AM
I like Gerber knives and have several. I like them because they are cheap, somewhat durable, and easy to sharpen. I have lost a couple over the years and replaced them with similar models. I don't like them being made in china, or whatever foreign country, but I tell ya, it's aweful hard to find anything these days that is made in the US...

The knife I'm carrying right now is a gerber that has all the black worn off the blade. It's what I've used for several years in a row for every skinning project I've had, birthday cake, splinter or thorn in my hand, steak, etc.

Rick
10-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I like Gerber as well. They were just looking for a way to boost sales, GB was popular and they went for it. Sometimes marketing ideas don't work out or backfire completely. (Anyone remember WKRP dropping live turkeys from a hovering helicopter? Too funny. Or the real life ones like New Coke or Sony Betamax?) Somewhere in the hallowed halls of Gerber is a marketing exec now working in shipping and receiving.

Daniel Nighteyes
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
nice lets see some pics of are gerber stuff loved or not

Y'all wouldn't want me to do that, 'cause I'd take up a whole danged lot of space. As many of you know, I'm documenting the Gerber BMF and original LMF knives. Of course, in the doing of that I've managed to acquire quite a few of 'em. In my personal collection are six unique BMF's and seven unique original LMF's. And then there's the "left-overs."

I also have a rather impressive collection of Gerber Mark II's including one very-very-rare example, three very-different Gerber Guardian II's, and what-have-you. And, of course, there's always the Gerber Multi-Pliers and their progeny...

Generally speaking, pre-Fiskars Gerber knives have much better quality than post-Fiskars Gerber knives. There are obvious exceptions, of course.

Phaedrus
10-31-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm not really against Gerber but I'm a bit of a knife snob. Most of my knives are ESEE, JK Handmade, Knives of Alaska, Falkniven, Helle, Bark River, Busse, etc. Mostly I'm just a knife nerd!

Bushman
11-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Gerber Guardian MkII. Model 22-01874 Black oxide coated, 420HC double serrated 6 ½” blade/ 11 ¾” o/a

Gerber ‘Crucial’ multi-tool 2 ½” serrated blade, pliers, screwdrivers PH/Flat, carabiner/bottle opener

Gerber "Applegate Fairbairn Combat Folder"
10" o/a, 4.1/2" partially diamond ground single edge blade with false edge, 1.1/2" serrations,plus thumb stud.. Liner lock, black aluminium grip with small 'back lock' on blade. Lanyard hole & pocketclip 5.1/2"grip. Etched on blade "Rex Applegate" "WE Fairbairn"

Gerber USA Multi tool
Black anodised stainless 4.5/8th" closed. Lockable, Slide out pliers square cut pliers, multi grip and fine grip with wire cutter.., lockable main blade & saw blade 2.1/2" long, 2 sided file, 3 flat screwdriver blades (various sizes) can opener, phillips head and lanyard loop(?) on other handle. Sliding blade lock on both handles. Nylon Sheath Included.

Gerber Belt knife
Hunter/skinner type blade 3.3/4" bead blasted stainless, undercut thumbgrooves on spine, upswept blade, false edge, 3/4" choil......full tang design, composition two tone black/gray scales. Triangular thong hole, scales bolted on with torx head machine screws. Moulded Nylon sheath, 8.1/2" o/a. sheath marked 'Made in China', so one would assume the knife is 'not' ?? O/A VGC.

Gerber Game Pro
Integral liner lock surgical stainless folder Model No 22-08460, 7"o/a, 3" upswept skinner type blade. Matt bead blasted, false edge,thumb assist screw on back,black softgrip insert on lhs grip, pocket clip on rhs.

All GOOD knives........the MkII is now banned in Victoria, apart from Collectors... had an original MkII gray handle, leather sheath that served well on my webbing for quite a few years until 'lifted' at NKP.

The Crucial tool is in my pocket ALL the time and has been used hard.... the phillips head screwdriver is crap, but the rest works well.

likewise the Multitool, a 'useful tool' !!

The Applegate is a 'collector'

The Gamepro has skun out a number of deer and other critters (good edge)

The Gerber belt knife I've yet to test........(there are a few hundred ahead of it.......) good knife, crap sheath....

99% of my knives are American, the other1% either British or German.....I figger the Yanks had the Hunting/Fighting knife biz sewn up right until the 90's when they started dropping brands or making them in China. I'll buy 'Taiwan' made, but NOT 'Chinese' !!

Have used/owned many other Gerbers over the years, lately been buying Prodigys to send to our boys in A/stan........they seem to like em...........

Wildthang
11-12-2012, 01:20 PM
So, it looks as though everybody does not hate Gerber after all:smartass:

natertot
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I have a MT. I have had it for eight years and have beat the crap out of it. Broke the blade a while back. Sent it in to Gerber and they reconditioned the entire MT to new condition. Even gave me a new sheath. Godd company in my expierence.

No BG stuff for me. I can't own something with a morons name all over it. Just my .02.

ctdcb18b
11-12-2012, 02:44 PM
thats why i got the prodigy

Daniel Nighteyes
11-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Generally speaking, pre-Fiskars Gerber knives have much better quality than post-Fiskars Gerber knives. There are obvious exceptions, of course.

Now to actually answer [GASP!] the original question: Fiskars acquired Gerber several years back. The quality of the pre-Fiskars Gerber knives is absolutely outstanding. The quality of the post-Fiskars Gerber knives is all over the map, though (IMO) none of them approaches the quality of pre-Fiskars Gerber knives.

Would I advise folks to stay away from post-Fiskars Gerber knives? My answer will always depend on the GKIQ (Gerber-Knife-In-Question).

Would I advise folks to trust the quality of pre-Fiskars Gerber knives? Abso-danged-lutely.

Daniel Nighteyes
11-16-2012, 07:50 PM
...the MkII is now banned in Victoria, apart from Collectors... had an original MkII gray handle, leather sheath that served well on my webbing for quite a few years until 'lifted' at NKP.

I'm curious -- if you recall, did your Mark II have the "cats-tongue" gray handle or the "ArmorHide" gray handle? Also, did it have blade serrations?

-- Nighteyes

Florida-Mike
11-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I have a nice Gerber mashete to hack away the florida swamp weeds that get in my way when i go camping.or hack a snakes head off for lunch.Gerber is good

Bushman
11-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Daniel.........NOW yer stretchin the friendship....not to mention the 'memory' !!

Handle was pretty rough as I recall (cats tongue?) and the blade was 'offset' to the line of the handle........looked 'odd' but worked well.........

no serrations until I put some in on one side with a chainsaw file for rope cutting (doing a climbing course at the time......and I've always 'modified' my guns & knives.....can't seem to leave well enough alone........ :( )

Adventure Wolf
11-21-2012, 11:54 PM
In the knife community there are elitists that think if you don't spend more then 100 dollars and the knife isn't made out of a certain level of steel then it's crap. Usually those are the people that hate on Gerber.