PDA

View Full Version : Coyote!

kyratshooter
10-04-2012, 11:28 AM
The chickens started raising holy he!! a few minutes ago and I looked out the back door to find a coyote skirting the parimeter of their pen. When he heard me open the door he scooted into the brush and i did not get a shot.

It is 11:00 am, a bright sunny day, what is the matter with these critters?

I will guarentee he will be back after dark tonight. I suppose I better get ready for the fireworks. I want this one DEAD! No .22 long rifles for him, I am leaning toward the buckshot and a quick end to the problem.

I think I need to invest in a predator call.

Sourdough
10-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I have been buying Predator Calls as a survival food procurement tool.

rebel
10-04-2012, 01:03 PM
What about traps and snares too?

hunter63
10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
We have them running down our street in the city...(or edge of the city)...pretty regular, but mostly at night......my garbage was messed with last night.....but we also have the coons and possums

Rabies?......sounds like coyote season to me.

Rick
10-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I've seen several in the daylight around here lately. We've pushed them out of their habitat so they are moving into the sub divisions. They don't seem to be bothered about it either. I watched one a couple of weeks ago walk down the sidewalk and around the corner of Ace Hardware and another cross a busy street and walk behind a church. They are getting pretty comfy in town.

Old GI
10-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Saw one about two weeks ago. He was moving toward the alpaca pens, but decided to give them a wider birth (about 100 yards) when he realized our guard llama was there. Batman, the llama, was doing all kinds of alerting behavior.

kyratshooter
10-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I kept the chickens in their pen all day. Finally let them out for a few minutes around 5pm.

I was working on the back porch, out in the open, hear the chickins squak, look up and that coyote is right in the middle of the yard standing in what looks like a chicken bomb!

He is so confused he does not know which one to grab, the rooster is clawing at his head and about that time one of the hens breaks away and the coyote decides that is the one he wants.

In true KY hillbilly fasion I have been working with the 12 ga propped against the porch wall. All this has happened while I am reaching for the gun and jacking in a load of #4 hi-brass.

By the time I get off the porch for a shot I have discovered that an Australian chicken with a coyote in hot pursuit is the second fastest animal in the world, an Ethiopian chicken from the 1980s being the absolute land speed record holder. No kidding, you would have thought it was a Road Runner cartoon.

By the time I touched off the round they were a good 40-50 yards out but I got a chunk of the coyote since it shifted into a higher gear and lost interest in the chicken.

The chicken, not taking time to look back over her shoulder, continued on her olympic quest finally junping a ditch, taking flight and landing in the limbs of a tree nearly 1/4 mile down the road. She stayed in the tree until nearly dark, cackling and pacing along the limb, when the rooster began crowing trying to get her to come home. She finally came home and ran into the coop, stood there and talked to me about the situation.

I think some of the conversation was about really bad shooting, slow reaction time and a lot of wasted ammo at the trap range!

At any rate I have the lights fired up tonight and the place looks like an arport.

I think the chickens will remain in their cage until I eleminate this pesky critter. He waited in the brush all day anticipating that I would let the birds out eventually. I think I will run up to Basspro tomorrow and buy a predator call. As brave as this one is he will come into the open and I will get him.

And again, I have learned that what works as good theory for the urban, armchair speculator is not fit for real world situations. I needed every bit of the modified choke and long barrel on that pump gun.

intothenew
10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Bear are my problem this time of year, at home and the cabin. Mom runs the boar cub off this time of year, a juvie on the loose. Coyote and coon not so much, but it does happen. ROTC(Run Off To Civilization) game?

hollywood88
10-04-2012, 10:42 PM
my girlfriends dad is having problems with yotes gettin the quail he raises. looks like this weekend while notdeer hunting ill be out at his house with my 308 waiting

ElevenBravo
10-05-2012, 01:14 AM
.308 should make an efficient dispatch...

Echo2
10-05-2012, 06:52 AM
If you get a call.....can you set it up to take the shot from indoors?.....they'll be less skiddish if the cant see you.

We generally use a .223 or 5.56.

Jimmyq
10-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I live in the concrete jungle and I have encountered coyotes at 10 feet or less that couldnt care less that I was there. Usually after dark but not always. A family of raccoons regularly comes to my small garden as well but I am not allowed to shoot anything over 500 fps so all they get is a warning shot or worse from my pellet gun if I am feeling ornery.

Echo2
10-05-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/awc_amphinian_mk2_ss.jpg

Rick
10-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Leave the door open to the chicken coop and let the ladies on the back porch. When the yote goes inside to investigate. Slam the door shut. The chickens will be safe, you can sell tickets to the local kids to pet the yote and you'll save on ammo, not to mention not having to listen to a back talking hen.

Winnie
10-06-2012, 08:56 AM
*Notes to self*........ Stay on porch at night time. Run faster than the chicken in the yard.

kyratshooter
10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
If you get a call.....can you set it up to take the shot from indoors?.....they'll be less skiddish if the cant see you.

We generally use a .223 or 5.56.

I can not shoot from inside any more. I joined the ranks of the civilized and put the glass back in the window after the "Great Racoon War". I am also a bit hesitat to shoot across the back lot with any of my centerfire rifles, the Judge lives on that corner of the woods about 300 yards away. And this is a BIG 'yote, almost german shepard sized and not a cantidate for .22 LR work.

I chose the 12 ga as the best compromise. Espically since this 'yote can jump out of the brush and be on the chickens in a split second. Before I could grab the shotgun and bring it up he was nearly 50 yards gone. He can also jump out of the brush and back in rapidly. The back fence/brushline is only 40 yards from the house. If he takes off to either side he is clear but moving fast and if he jumps out and back he is only exposed for a split second.

The girls have gotten real wise about predators too. I have learned their distress calls and they are almost as good as a watchdog, except they don't have teeth. when they start cackling and flapping their wings you will know to head for the porch Winnie.

hunter63
10-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Those thing get smart in a hurry......was watching a yote trotting across a hill in a field,....on the down hill side is where I had my turkey decoy, and he couldn't see it till he got close.
Came up over the hill, stopped dead in his tracks, hunched down and his ears went back......Like "Oh shut, I played THIS game before, there is fixin' on being a big boom shortly, and pain....I'm otta here!"

I suppose I could have given him a 60 yd load of 4X6's....but didn't....just watched the show.

shiftyer1
10-12-2012, 11:10 PM
You just reminded me that I forgot to shut the coop door, not good, I have coyote and bobcat problems myself. I'm down to 5 hens and 4 roosters from predation. I'm thinking about getting some guineas to help with that problem?