PDA

View Full Version : Canned Meats

Rick
03-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Here is a link for canned meats if anyone is interested. I've ordered from these folks just to see what kind of quality they had and was pleasantly surprised. Canned meat is pretty unappealing when you first open it but the taste and texture was quite good. Short of canning meat yourself, this is a good way to stock up on protein for an emergency.

http://www.werlingandsons.com/

BraggSurvivor
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Sorry Rick but Ive tried several canned meats and I cant bring myself to choke that crap down. :(

Smoked or jerky is the way to go IMO.

Rick
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Okay. Just don't come knocking on my door when your 7 tons of beef run out and the freezer is empty.:rolleyes:

BraggSurvivor
03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
No problem buddy, if it came right down to it I'd rather eat the lint from my wifes navel than eat that canned meat. Probably taste better too. :D

crashdive123
03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Hmmmmmm. Never mind.

canid
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
i'm a fan of canned roast cuts, particularly if corned first.

LudwigVan
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Am I weird for liking the canned stuff? Corned beef hash especially.

crashdive123
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Am I weird for liking the canned stuff? Corned beef hash especially.

Nope, not at all. I love the stuff for it's convenience and taste.

Beans
01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
I have taken the small cans of corn beef hash with the pull top lids on many a camping trip. I have eaten it hot, warm or cold. and still liked it.

I lived in an area of Missouri that had a RED DEVIL ( Underwood) processing plant and I watched them make the canned deviled ham, They used nothing but cured hams and no by products. They also made canned chicken spread,

I would and do eat either of these products without hesitation.

Stairman
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
My daughter loves vienna sausages.I could eat them but dont.Im a chicken,turkey,fish guy.Trying to keep the arteries clean makes sence to me.I also eat venison but it doesnt last long.I eat a ton of fruit and mainly steamed veggies.Canned meat in a pinch would be ok but were not pinched as yet.

Runs With Beer
01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey when your hungery all those caned meats taste realy good.

Beans
01-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey when your hungery all those caned meats taste realy good.

When you are hungry almost anything will taste good,
even mystery tea with leaves, boiled rice and steamed fishheads out of a blacked tin can off the back of a sampan

Badawg
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
When I was a kid, My dad had a bunch of apartments and most were full of Welfare moms. Many would move out or get evicted and they would leave commodities behind. No foodstamps back then, they got food in white label that said USDA on them.

Two of the most common things they left behind was canned chicken and canned pork. My dad would always bring it home and make Mom cook it(Both were kids in the depression). It stunk pretty bad when you opened the can but she made som damn good chicken Tacos and some sort of casserole out of the chicken, and we made pulled pork sandwiches out of the pork by frying it up and loading it with Chris and Pitts BBQ sauce. These were #10 cans so we would eat it for 3 days and get real sick of it...

Nowadays I like the canned roast beef and Corned beef for breakfast hash, and use canned Chicken all the time . Most of it is chock full of nitrates though and not particularly healthy...

Dragonfyre
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Yum Yum. I like the canned meats. I eat the deviled ham, chicken spreads, corned beef hash, spam...........whatever, they all appeal to me. I store plenty of this stuff as well as rotating it in and out. I don't know if you guys know it but stuff like this isn't just the scraps they can't use, it's purposely made! Spam for instance was an invention because people were'nt buying pork shoulder, so they ground it up and canned it. I love SPAM, now they come in little convenient slices in a foil wrap, pre-cooked (as the cans are too) I pack some in my BOB when I head out to the woods! I'll fry it up until it's nice and crispy, throw some spicey brown mustard on it throw it on some toast and WAHLAH, lunch! I just had corned beef hash yesterday with some over easy eggs. This stuff is around on a regular basis here in my house.

crashdive123
01-08-2009, 03:22 PM
SPAM = shoulders, pork, and ham.

primitiveroots
01-08-2009, 10:02 PM
A friend of our canned a lot of his deer this year and it was really yummy. I was surprised as I am not a big canned meat fan. We do can tuna when we can get our hands on it and it is far superior to any canned tuna I've ever ate from a store. I don't think I'd want to live off canned meat but in times of need, I'm all for it.

Badawg
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm a big fan of the canned chicken. One can with a teaspoon of curry powder and 2 of those single use mayo packets, a handful of sliced almonds and a celery stalk. Add some grapes and it's even better.

Also, you can buy #10 cans of Argintinian and Brazilian beef fairly cheaply. They have it at Smart and Final.

pgvoutdoors
01-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I love to cook and appreciate a well cooked meal like the next guy, but I don't mind canned meat. Some are better than others but if the Marine Corps didn't teach me anything, it did teach me how to fix a meal out of can goods.:)

My Grand Parents were from West Virginia so I was raised on canned meat. For emergency purposes it stores well. I've found that it tastes really good when your downright staving. (been there/done that):o

welderguy
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
We eat some canned meats. Ham, spam,sardines,potted meat , I have a whole list of receipes for spam by the way.

It isnt my first choice but for lunch or out camping ,boating it is great.

Beans
01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
but if the Marine Corps didn't teach me anything, it did teach me how to fix a meal out of can goods.

A skill well learned and not forgotten

Semper FI