PDA

View Full Version : calling all bow hunters

hollywood88
10-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Who all out there enjoys bow hunting. Whats your favorite setup and what all do you hunt. My 2 hunting setups are a parker python at 74# and a morrison 17" ilf riser with 43# hoyt gold medal carbon plus limbs. I hunt deer,turkey, squirrel, rabbit, frog,..... well basically anything that walks, crawl, hops, swims, or flies with my archery gear

postman
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Bowhunting is the only way I hunt, I use primitive gear and hunt on the ground. I primarily hunt small game as it is fun and has way more action than deer or moose. I do hunt deer, but generally I'm small game hunting with some broadheads in my quiver in case I see a deer and can put a stalk on it. I love heading north and hunting moose, but it is very expensive, so I only go every few years or so.

Old Professor
10-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I used to be a traditional bowhunter...until I blew out both rotator cuffs! I hunted both from the ground and a tree stand but prefered the ground. I have shot with as high as 65# long bow but as my shoulder injuries got worse, went to 55# then 45# then had a custom 35# built. Now I can't even pull that! Getting old sucks!!!! The last several long bows were all custom bows. I have killed deer and bear with traditional bows along with small game.

glockcop
10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Mathews Z7 (2010 model) set at 65 lbs with an 28" draw. Hoyt cyber tech (2002 model) set at 65 lbs with a 28" draw. PSE Carbon Force Hunter arrows or Victory V6 arrows both cut to 27.5 inches with 2" blazer vanes (florencent orange cock vane, neon lime drop vanes). Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade broadhead for hogs, Rage 100 gr 2 blade expandable for deer. Apex 3 pin sight on the Hoyt and Montana Black Gold 3 pin sight on the Mathews. Mathews drop away rest on the Mathews, QAD drop away rest on the Hoyt. I use a Cobra wrist strap release with the Hoyt and a 3 finger True Ball thumb release (LOVE IT) on the Mathews. Both bows sighted in to 50 yards (first pin=20-30 yards, second pin = 30 yards, 4th pin = 50 yards). I LOVE my Mathews but the Hoyt is not far behind for an older bow. Last year while in the tree stand hunting deer I put a Rage broadhead right between the eyes of "yeller dog" at @ 37 yards with the Mathews Z7. He came in chasing a chipmunk and never knew what hit him. An hour later I got to harpoon a nice old doe 15 ft away from the dead coyote. Sweet! Took three more deer later in the season with complete pass throughs. Rage in the cage = meat in the freezer.

mountainmark
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM
I just landed my first archery deer today! 118 lb Doe. Pretty happy with the shot. Got both lungs at about 10 yards. Ok it was an easy poke, but glad to finally join the archers club!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-25-2012, 07:24 PM
I am still.......setting up for Bowfishing. Wiring the lights and building the platform is proving to be a job!

Sparky93
10-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I love bowfishing, I got an old Bear for that and then I got a Diamond Razor for deer. I also love frog stick'n with my bowfishing rig.

carnivor way
10-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I just landed my first archery deer today! 118 lb Doe. Pretty happy with the shot. Got both lungs at about 10 yards. Ok it was an easy poke, but glad to finally join the archers club!

mountainmark congrats & welcome . hunting doesn't get much better than when you get in close for a kill . i find it to be an incredible feeling!

carnivor way
10-26-2012, 03:40 PM
hey yall . im a deer & turkey guy mostly . shoot a Ben Pearson pride . 70# 28'' draw . i use a trophy ridge inline pin site. limb saver stabilizer . epic st arrows , zwicky broad heads. rancho safari cat quiver/lumbar pack.
ya that sums it up. i truly love the hunt . my bow is all i hunt with .

mountainmark
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
mountainmark congrats & welcome . hunting doesn't get much better than when you get in close for a kill . i find it to be an incredible feeling!

Thanks CW, an incredible feeling indeed!

glockcop
10-28-2012, 11:01 PM

Congrats brother. "You have earned a badge many "hunters" will never earn or deserve to wear... You are now an "elite" amongst your hunting peers... You have put in the effort and have the experience to get close when a rifle shot would have been so much easier.... If it was "Easy" everybody would be doing it".... Yea, I know, it sounds like an archery company's TV commercial but it's true. Good luck with the rest of the season.

mountainmark
11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Thank you sir. You should get paid by the archery equipment manufacturers :cool2:

Thomas Johnson
11-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Love bowhunting! I have been using a recurve the last couple of years! Dunno why, but feels more like a real bow to me rather than compounds.. But it is the best rush you can possible get.. stalking and making the kill!

dizralph
11-20-2012, 06:07 AM
IMO, this is the best way to hunt animals.

I use a self bow.

hunter63
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
IMO, this is the best way to hunt animals.

I use a self bow.

What is a 'self bow"?

postman
11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
A self bow is a bow made from a single piece of wood that is not dependent on any man made materials that aid in its performance. It could be made from either a board or a stave.

hunter63
11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
A self bow is a bow made from a single piece of wood that is not dependent on any man made materials that aid in its performance. It could be made from either a board or a stave.

Thanks for clearing it up........Never heard that term.

FVR
11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Been making and hunting with selfbows up to about two or three years back. I found the perfect bow for me, a 1968 Bear Kodiak Hunter in 65lbs. A gent gave it to me in trade for teaching he and his son to throw knives and hawks. Hell, I gave them the knives and hawks and he gave me the bow that his father left to him. Needles to say the agreement is that I would never sell the bow, which is no problem. I just sold off an Oneida compound and still have the Bowtech. All are pretty much collecting dust right now. Last two bows I made were documented on this site, what 4 / 5 years ago? Wow.

crashdive123
11-20-2012, 10:19 PM
FVR! Good to see you back.

Old Professor
11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I have also made several selfbows from Osage. There is a tremendious feeling of accomplishment to hunt with a bow you made yourself. I wasn't able to take any game with my self bows before I blew out my rotator cuffs but I sure enjoyed shooting them.

FVR
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks Crash,need to get back into woods mode. Been to long.

Adventure Wolf
11-22-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a custom composite recurve that I love to use. I string it up with a double loop string and a quiver of broadhead arrows.

It's simple, but it gets the job done.

Camp10
11-22-2012, 10:17 PM
PSE Compound. I am pretty anal about my shot placement and I just could never get the kind of grouping I needed with anything but a compound. I want to be able to put my hand around my entire group of 5 before I feel responsible enough to make a clean kill. I've taken a few with this bow and enjoy it much more than crowded rifle season. Deer is the only animal to date I've taken with a bow, perhaps I will find a bear or moose sometime to add to the list.

Camp10
11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
I am still.......setting up for Bowfishing. Wiring the lights and building the platform is proving to be a job!

Hey Brother, I've moved much closer to you now... we should attempt a hunt sometime, it would be nice to shake your hand and share some beer!

Batch
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I've got two recurves and a compound. One recurve is set up for bow fishing and the other is just for slinging arrows in camp.

I mainly hunt archery and mainly use my compound. The bow fishing bow is a take down. The compound is a Redhead Kronic made by Bowtech. My brother still has the Darton recurve I had when I was a kid.

Batch
11-23-2012, 01:54 PM
BTW, my nephew used a cross bow to take his first deer yesterday morning. My dad and brother were beside him. My brother snapped this picture with his iphone.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/Corybuck.jpg

crashdive123
11-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Awesome first deer.

Batch
11-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, down here that may be the deer of a lifetime. Up there its a walk out the backdoor.

Still he was pretty pumped and my dad lives down here so how cool was it that he got to be there for his grandsons first buck.

mikebarone
01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
i have a mathews mq1 at 65# 28" i hunt deer and squirrel but trapping is my true passion

Psalm25
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I use primitive bows for bow hunting whatever is in season. Wish I could try bow fishing... not legal here.