PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm locks down N.E. Ohio!

pgvoutdoors
03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
We were hit with a really bad ice storm two days ago. I just got my power restored today. The weather forecasters didn't give us any heads up, the weather went to H*** quickly. Now were expecting possibly heavy snow over the next two days. In this part of Ohio we get very strange weather patterns partly do to the Great Lakes. Just a few days ago it was sixty degrees and looked like Spring was on it's way.

Have any of you been hit with this weather front?

crashdive123
03-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Getting it right now! No snow, but last hour had 697 lightning strikes, several tornados have touched down. We've gotten about 4 inches of rain so far and looks like we've got another 12-18 hours left.

On a side note pgv.....on our Friday night forum we had some quarters and pennies on hand. Uses? (weights for fishing, lures, small reflectors, making a phone call, noise maker in the glass bottle)????? just wondering.

pgvoutdoors
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
I added the change because it would be a common item a person may have on them at any time. I've made fish lures and worked the edges down to make a small cutting device.

dilligaf2u2
03-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Lake front snow is the pits! That is why I moved out of Waukegan Ill.

Glad you are OK.

Don

Rick
03-07-2008, 01:57 PM
pgv - the lures probably caused the weather......I think you posted that one in the wrong thread.:D

The front came through Indiana a couple of days ago and dropped about 1/4 inch or so of ice in the middle of the state. No biggy. Snow is going through today. Central and northern shouldn't get much but the southeastern part (look out Nell then Beo!) is supposed to get 9-11 inches. After Nell and Beo have their fun then it should shoot up to you for some snow man building. Good luck!

nell67
03-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Yup Rick,we are getting it right now,started about 5:30 this morning,and it is UGLY out there,supposed to get up to a foot of the icky white stuff by tomorrow.Supposed to take my oldest son to Camp Atterbury on Sunday morning,eh,maybe not,LOL!

Sourdough
03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Yup Rick,we are getting it right now,started about 5:30 this morning,and it is UGLY out there,supposed to get up to a foot of the icky white stuff by tomorrow.Supposed to take my oldest son to Camp Atterbury on Sunday morning,eh,maybe not,LOL!

Nell, Sounds like good deer hunting weather. Do you have good sights on your truck....?:rolleyes:

nell67
03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Nell, Sounds like good deer hunting weather. Do you have good sights on your truck....?:rolleyes:

Nope,LOl the truck is in the shop,remember I already went hunting with it yesterday:D

Sourdough
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
:)Are you only allowed one per truck, or one per season....?:)

nell67
03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Well,I guess I could get as many as I want,as long as the truck holds up,insurance sure wouldn't like me none!I see on average 12-15 of them every morning on my way to work,I really do try to avoid them though,this is the second one I have hit,and neither of them died on impact,which meant they had to suffer until they were put down,yesterday,it was well over half an hour before a deputy showed up and dispatched the poor thing.

beerrunner13
03-07-2008, 04:31 PM
It hit here a few hours ago heavy rain, thunder and lightning with a tornado watch till late tonight.
Me and the dogs are OK but my wife haas to drive home in it, and not to many people in this state can drive even when the weather is nice.

pgvoutdoors
03-07-2008, 05:03 PM
During the ice storm the whole northeast corner of Ohio was shut down. A state of emergency was issued. Where I live, and two towns east and west of me that line Lake Erie, a 100% of the power was out by Tuesday evening at 9:00pm. This effect about 125,000 residents.
Some took it well and some lost their minds. The local government went into action pretty quick once the meteorologists confirmed that the weather was going to get worse. We are small towns more or less, many people helped where they could. Actions were taken for the elderly and young children first.

Now were at about 80% of the power restored and the ice has let go of everything. A lot of damage has been done. Were now waiting out this snow storm that started a few hours ago. Not too bad yet but cold and windy. Were looking at a foot of snow or more. With the power on we should be fine.

nell67
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Pvg,bbbrrrrrrrrr,not had to deal with the power outage,and the ice skipped us,this time.Take care and stay warm.

Sourdough
03-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Sure glad I don't live in such a harsh climate. 44*F here scattered light showers.......:p

nell67
03-08-2008, 08:50 AM
At a foot of snow right now,and expecting around 4 more inches before it ends this afternoon,drifts big enough for me to hide in:D. Pvg,and Beo,hows it going where you are,from the news,it's supposed to be worse where you are.
We are under a state of emergnecy here and can be ticketed for being out on the roads,not that I am going anywhere LOL.

Riverrat
03-08-2008, 09:07 AM
It is just starting here now, we are in for a real mix, starting rain, then around 10 -15 cm of ice pellets, then 10 - 15 cm of snow. Could end up with around 10" of "stuff". Is there anybody on here from Maine? What they get will be what we get.

Rick
03-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Not so good here, either. We had a dusting of snow and the temperature dropped. I had to put on a sweatshirt this morning!:rolleyes:

nell67
03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Awww,now thats roughin' it,eh Rick???:D

crashdive123
03-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Weather has cleared here today. Just windy (30-40 mph). Yesterday was a bit rough. We had about 8 tornadoes come through the area (closest to me was about 30 miles) and some pretty impressive thunderstorms.

palerider
03-09-2008, 02:34 PM
from what i have read so far mr outdoors you are a guide used to being ready for the elements. what if/or anything did you learn or reenforce during this poweroutage.

pgvoutdoors
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Hello, everyone! Once my power came back on yesterday my cable/Internet connection went out. All is fine now but the last thirty-six hours were rough. Here in the northeast corner of the the state of Ohio we got hit with 28 inches of snow. That on top of the previous two day ice storm we have had enough. The wind was wicket last night, snow drifts to the top of some buildings. Today it's been mostly sunny with little wind. The weather is crazy around here, lake effect and all. Our weather is much different than even Cleveland's. Two weeks ago the Cleveland Airport registered 9 degrees above zero, here it was 10 below zero. Between that and the ice storm we had 60 degree days. Most power is back up and running now and the weather forecast is moderate.

I have some interesting stories to tell you later, I just wanted to check in before you all start arguing over who gets my gear.:D

Rick
03-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Glad to know you made it through okay!!

hillbilly1987
03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
glad to here alot of ppl made it becouse i was getin to wonder if i was going to get sombodys gear!! just kidden thats all

Sourdough
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
48* above and sunny. This is glorious time of year here. No Tourist , no Anchorage'ites, The fuzzy's are showing up. I just finished sighting in the new 6.8 this morning.

Beo
03-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Glad to see you made it safe and sound, welcome back.

wareagle69
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
you might be jokin but ifn someone leaves a hawkens frozen to someones fingers that say this here gun kilt the bar that kilt me ima takin it..

MedicineWolf
03-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Lol.. I agree.

GVan
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
We were hit with a really bad ice storm two days ago. I just got my power restored today. The weather forecasters didn't give us any heads up, the weather went to H*** quickly. Now were expecting possibly heavy snow over the next two days. In this part of Ohio we get very strange weather patterns partly do to the Great Lakes. Just a few days ago it was sixty degrees and looked like Spring was on it's way.

Have any of you been hit with this weather front?

I wonder if it's the same storm we had go through here last night? It gently put down about a quarter inch of rain. My vegetable seedlings need more water than that. I don't want to have to start up my sprinkler pump yet.:rolleyes: