PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some remote property

EzS
09-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I am looking for some remote property in either Alaska or the lower 48 states. I am not looking for anything with any amenities e.g. electricity, plumbing. I am looking for somewhere that has a decent average temperature year round. I prefer slightly colder weather than the average person, I'm quite comfortable in 55 degrees. The further away from civilization the better. I plan to have a garden (so it would need to be somewhere the climate could support one) and to hunt and fish (so obviously game is crucial) for sustenance so no need for a grocery store or anything of that nature. Also if any of you know of some good sources for information on making clothing or anything of that nature from animal hides or the like it will be appreciated. As for the land, if you know appr. cost of acreage it will be appreciated. Thank you for your input and time :)

Winter
09-20-2012, 06:48 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remote+property+in+alaska

Thanks for the intro.

gryffynklm
09-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I love that Link. I have had good luck with that!

Sourdough
09-20-2012, 07:40 PM
If cost is an issue you might as well forget Alaska. Swamp will start @ about $2,200.00 per acre. We have very short hunting seasons, and nearly all of them end today Sept. 20'th and it is 58 degrees above so you need a freezer & electric or the meat will rot. I have some good land for sale with no power, no road access for $70,000.00 per acre, the smallest track is 4.5 acres.

randyt
09-20-2012, 07:53 PM
the upper peninsula of michigan has reasonable land available. Not as remote as out west or alaska. the temps are fairly mild don't get much below zero except for windchill. If you shop hard you may be able to find land for 1000 to 1500 and acre, maybe less.

Sarge47
09-20-2012, 08:28 PM
I am looking for some remote property in either Alaska or the lower 48 states. I am not looking for anything with any amenities e.g. electricity, plumbing. I am looking for somewhere that has a decent average temperature year round. I prefer slightly colder weather than the average person, I'm quite comfortable in 55 degrees. The further away from civilization the better. I plan to have a garden (so it would need to be somewhere the climate could support one) and to hunt and fish (so obviously game is crucial) for sustenance so no need for a grocery store or anything of that nature. Also if any of you know of some good sources for information on making clothing or anything of that nature from animal hides or the like it will be appreciated. As for the land, if you know appr. cost of acreage it will be appreciated. Thank you for your input and time :)

Sometime back one of my brothers bought 26 acres of land with amenties and a cabin here in Illinois on a small river for $130,000...and that was after he talked the Realtor down from $180,000! Good luck, but I think that you'll find that land like you describe is getting scarce and at a premium. :cool2:

randyt
09-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I know a cabin on a small river with ten acres, 12 mils off the hwy, 7 miles of the 12 is seasonal. You will have to snowmobile in in the winter. No power other than generator, no cell phone service, driven well, path bath. 15 miles north west of newberry michigan. Could probably be bought for 50 thousand, it's not listed for much more than that.

Rick
09-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm not aware of any. Good luck with that.

hunter63
09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Just curious, is there anywhere that has a 55 degree daily average temperature?
Alaska and the lower 48 leaves a lot of variation.

Are you talking year round?.......or just seasonal.

How much land are you looking to buy....or will this be squatting on some one else's land?

Wildthang
09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
There are some " off the grid forums " that post remote land for sale. No where in the US does it stay 55 degrees year round so you will have to not be so picky with the climate to find remote land here. Good luck with finding your place!

kyratshooter
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Last time I heard about one of these deals Thomas Jefferson snapped it out from under me for 3 cents an acre.

After all the accusations of me beng a mean old man I will stipulate that this is all I have to say about the subject!

Except for,

Good luck with that!

Wildthang
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Last time I heard about one of these deals Thomas Jefferson snapped it out from under me for 3 cents an acre.

After all the accusations of me beng a mean old man I will stipulate that this is all I have to say about the subject!

Except for,

Good luck with that!

Your'e mean!:smartass:

Cast-Iron
09-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Recreational cabin on 1.5 acres in remote southeast Alaska (Port Fidalgo between Cordova & Valdez off Prince William Sound). They're asking $39,900.

http://www.cordovaalaska.net/cordovarealty/otherprops/portfidelgo/portfidelgo.html

hunter63
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Recreational cabin on 1.5 acres in remote southeast Alaska (Port Fidalgo between Cordova & Valdez off Prince William Sound). They're asking $39,900.

http://www.cordovaalaska.net/cordovarealty/otherprops/portfidelgo/portfidelgo.html

What?? only an acre and a half....in the middle of nowhere?....LOL, now that funny!

Cast-Iron
09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
From what I know of Alaska's recreational lease program, state residents (of 1 year or more) may apply for annual drawings within certain designated areas. If drawn, they then go and stake out a plot from 5 to 20 acres and if their application gets approved they're offered a three year lease on the property. During this three year period the property is surveyed and appraised by the state at the lessee's expense. The lessee then has the option to buy the property at the appraised market value. Once they purchase the property the recreational restriction is removed. Why this particular tract is only 1.5 acres I haven't a clue. But you're surrounded by 5.4 million acres of pristine Chugach wilderness, so elbow room shouldn't be a problem. I just figured this met most of the criteria in the OP.
Gardening shouldn't be a problem at this longitude (especially if you use a greenhouse to extend your season). Excellent fishing too.

EzS
09-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Haha maybe I should have been more specific as the inferences I thought one would draw were fairly obvious. I didn't mean that it needed to be 55 year round, I was just saying that colder temperatures are ok. Also google is only useful as far as location. I was more searching for input from people on places they may have visited. And I am looking to buy, not squat on someone's land. As for how much land depends on location and cost. The reason I left so much variation is because I understand that costs vary and I'm not that picky. What I have learned about Alaska is that some parts are very low humidity which causes some issues.

hunter63
09-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, the OP was pretty wide open and vague.....can only work with what we see.........

As far a hunting and fishing, there will be seasons anywhere you end up, of course you most likely know that, so that brings you to preservation techniques.

What price range are you looks at?....That will dictate size differences in different areas.

Sarge47
09-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Haha maybe I should have been more specific as the inferences I thought one would draw were fairly obvious.

You should have also gave a decent intro, that would have saved us all a lot of time and effort! :cool2:

kyratshooter
09-21-2012, 06:20 PM
You are not supposed to ask for an intro Sarge, That might be construed as being bossey and hurting someone's delicate little feelings.

We are the experts and we should have our ESP tuned in to these things. They are just supposed to log in and we answer unasked questions through infurance.

We should deduce what their age, skills set, physical capabilities, medical needs, mental attitude, what they do for a living and their economic status just because we suspect they are online, then give specific information tailored to their needs.

"Where can I find cheap land?" is the adult version of ROTTW.

hunter63
09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
OK, Whats a ROTTW?

Doesn't it ever occur to anyone that if I knew where cheap land with average temps, a plenty of game would be available, I would keep it to my self, particularly some one that I don't know?

Cast-Iron
09-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Just a guess, but I figured it as ROTTW....running off to the wilderness

Sarge47
09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
I didn't ask for an intro but said that it would of helped. Why all the secrecy I wonder? Can't he find any land for sale there where he lives? And, yes, BTW, I do know where that's at. Anyway, I don't like head games so good luck with that. :cool2:

hunter63
09-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Just a guess, but I figured it as ROTTW....running off to the wilderness

That makes sense....The ROTTW part (msut have missed that part somewhere)....running off into the wilderness....well maybe, not so much,...... of course that depends on a lot of things.

Wildthang
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
If I was looking for a place out of the way, there are lots of small acerages outside of small towns across Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri. From the sounds of it, all you really need is a place in the country with no neighbors. And if I could get power in my house I would darn sure do it. There is no reason you couldn't find a small farm in one of those states for around $100,000 that has 5 to 10 acres with some woods to wonder around in. The further north you go, the more expensive things get including land. To me, just living out of a town and being out in the country allows me to feel uncaged, but I still have all of the comforts I could ever want.
The only time I want to rough it is when I go camping or on a walk about for a few days!

Rick
09-22-2012, 07:33 PM
ROTTW - (I don't get no respect)

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?8037-Abbreviations-and-Terms

hunter63
09-22-2012, 09:16 PM
What?...... I gotta go and look it up my self?.......Wot up wit dat!

edr730
09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
You could probably buy a cabin with electric and 40 acres of good hunting land for about 100,000 around here. I know a trailer with 3 bedrooms and a cabin too with about maybe a quarter acre of mostly wooded with some white pines for lumber to build with. It's in a small town, but fairly secluded from view. Lake acess too. It would be about 25,000. It might cost you .20 a board foot to get the trees lumbered.

Dagar
11-03-2012, 08:26 PM
United Country is a good website to search, very popular in the midwest, not so much east and west coasts.
Also Land and Farms.

I'm a realtor so I could fill the thread up, but those are good places to start and just remember, every price is negotiable and the details are in the contract. :-)

KrisDeagle
11-20-2012, 03:43 AM
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/otc/regions_subdiv.cfm?region=SOUTHCENTRAL

You are welcome OP.

alaskabushman
11-22-2012, 11:28 PM

20'x30' cabin shell with 16'x24' carport & 7'x14' storage building situated on over 3/4 acre on West Harris River Road, Prince Of Wales Island, Alaska. Power & phone at the end of the driveway. $49,500.00 Call 907-965-5262 for more info.

Chris
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Recently looking for land all over eastern TN I saw lots of lots that might fit your bill. Of course I wasn't looking to be as remote as you, and bypassed many of these.

I really like using the Remax.com map based search for land, it is a good way to find the remote ones when you can see them on a satellite map and so can tell if they're in town or not. The most remote/cheapest land I saw was around Butler or Mountain City, TN, within the national forest, east of Bristol, TN. Further south in the knoxville area there is fairly cheap land around Townsend TN. Of course my definition of cheap may be different from yours, and there is certainly also expensive land in these areas.

I looked in the other states too, VA, NC, etc, TN had the cheapest, though I think WV was cheap too but I didn't look there. I ended up buying in Chattanooga, it wasn't cheap though (15k an acre). There was cheaper stuff west of town into Jasper county, around the prentice cooper state forest.

Winter
11-24-2012, 05:09 PM

20'x30' cabin shell with 16'x24' carport & 7'x14' storage building situated on over 3/4 acre on West Harris River Road, Prince Of Wales Island, Alaska. Power & phone at the end of the driveway. $49,500.00 Call 907-965-5262 for more info.

Nice spot.

Bushman, are you over on POW? I'm here in K-Town.

oldsoldier
11-24-2012, 10:33 PM
We got lucky, REAL lucky bought 75 acres near Tell City Indiana. Almost at the end of a gravel road. Bordered by a creek, half a mile from the ohio river. Mostly wooded. Right next to the place we vacation. Always seeing Deer, turkey, and lots of game as well. Couple of great spots for a garden, many of "nut" tree's Even got a start as a BOL going. Paid less than $1,000 dollars an acre. Although getting power to the place will be very expensive when we build. So we are leaning toward solar power. There is another piece of land next to it for sale were taking about buying as well It's 20 acres also on the creek with a small mobile home on it. It's going for a bit more. $40,000. So decent priced land is still available out there.

1stimestar
11-24-2012, 11:06 PM
http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/3335-Chena-Hot-Springs-Road/Fairbanks/AK/99712/25874741/?index=1

http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/NHN-Summit-Lake/Out-Of-Area/AK/99586/23665681/?index=14

http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/50-mile-Elliott-Highway/Livengood/AK/99710/22597290/?index=13

http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/1819-Momegana/Barrow/AK/99723/23751707/?index=7

Best two for last! http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/5954-Sherman-Road/Fairbanks/AK/99709/24837671/?index=5

http://miyun.fairbanksakhomesearch.com/homes/25752585-Sauna-Avenue/Fairbanks/AK/99709/23405885/?index=17

1stimestar
12-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Uh, you're welcome.

crashdive123
12-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Uh, you're welcome.

Don't fret. The OP posted on September 20th and last visited on September 22nd. Must not have found the instantaneous answers, so moved on.