PDA

View Full Version : handheld crank radio/light/signaller/generater

marberry
07-01-2007, 08:03 PM
i just got this as a gift from my uncle. words cant describe how awesome it is.
it has an extremily bright magnified 3 LED light. a small bright orange signaller. an AM/FM radio w/ headphone jack. the awesome thing about it is that you can use it to power up anything with a DC-IN SV or USB port (cellphone, digi camera, ipod, the newer handheld game systems, and alot more). 120 cranks (1 min of turning) = an hour of the light , 3 hours of the signaling light (a bright orange flash repeats every .3 of a second) or 25 min of the radio. i have always hated and been against bringing electronics hiking or camping because i hate batteries, but this thing has completially turned me lol. its the size of a flashlight and weighs less then a pound. sorry i dont know exactially what its but i had to tell yall bout it anyway lol

Tony uk
07-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Ive seen something like it but ive never tryed it, Thanks for the info :)

man.vs.wild
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
i got sometthing like that but it has 5 leds a radio a compass a cell phone charger and an emrgency siren (the light blinks and its really loud!!!!) i got mine for 20 dollars at walmart

Sarge47
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I bought one of those Wal-mart jobs as well and before I got it out to the car the radio antenna broke. The hand-crank is a very feasible solution to the battery problem however. Maybe the Canadian one is worth looking into.

man.vs.wild
07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
well ive managed not to brake mine yet but hey nobody ever said walmarts stuff is high quality

pioneerboy
10-11-2008, 10:56 AM
I got one of the new Kaito self-powered emergency radios a few weeks ago and it is the best one I have had. I have had several others during the past 15 years or so, but this is the best by far. It is crank powered and has a tilting solar panel and includes an AC/DC adapter. It has seven pre-set weather channels and AM/FM and shortwave. It also has a 5-LED reading light on the solar panel so it can be adjusted to any angle. There is a 1-LED flashlight and a bright red blinking emergency light. It can be charged from a computer that has a USB port and it will charge most cell phones, iPods and MP3's etc. I noticed that the reception is MUCH better than the other emergency radios I have had. I'm very happy with it.

Rick
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Welcome Pioneer Boy. Why not crank your way over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. I hope you don't have any connection to the site you posted. That would be a violation of the forum rules.

EDIT: I removed your link. It looked suspiciously like spam and you didn't respond so....

Edz
10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a grundig crank radio. It works very well. It also has a light on the front that easily lights up an area good enough for reading or taking notes. Shortwave channels as well.
I also recently got one of the cheaper wal-mart crank lights. Also works well but ya seem to have to crank too much.
I want one of the Coleman "MAX" crank lights but they got for $45.00 and I'm not ready to spend that just yet.
Maybe I'll ask for it for xmas!

edz

wildWoman
10-12-2008, 04:10 PM
For hand-crank radios, go with one of Freeplay's models. 2-year warranty, sturdy construction and comes with a tiny solar panel for charging, apart from the hand crank. That the sole radio we use, day in day out, works great. We also use a hand-crank lantern mae by Freeplay.

trax
10-13-2008, 05:09 PM
and here, when I read the thread title, I thought the whole thing was about someone holding hopeak's hand and explaining the jokes in the other threads to him, ("see dear, it is funny if you just understand the part about.....")

ThompsonOutdoorSupply
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
@marcraft, what is the brand/model of your new toy? :)

LudwigVan
10-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Is this the things that some of you are mentioning:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/camping-outdoors/9d6f/

I saw it on here but I wasn't sure whether or not to waste 20 perfectly good dollars on it. The Charger feature is alluring though. Somewhere around here I have a radio that is both solar and crank powered, seems to work pretty well last time I saw it.

crashdive123
10-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Not familiar with that model, but it looks pretty interesting.

Ken
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I've got this one. It works great!

http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=E-P-H551&variation=

Gray Wolf
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Check my post (#4) in this thread about Emergency Radios (with pic's):

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4468

From the post,
"This one is expensive ($150), but all the reviews I read said it was basically indestructible, and worked as advertised."

Eton Corporation's American Red Cross FR1000 Voicelink Hand-Crank
* 22 GMRS (General Mobile Radio System)/ FRS (Family Radio System) channels 2-Way Radio Feature with 121 privacy codes (38 CTCSS / 83 DCS)
* Flashlight
* AM/FM receiver
* VOX (Voice operated transmission)
* NOAA weather radio and NOAA weather alert
* Built-in Siren
* Cell Phone Charger

Nice piece of equipment if you're in a survival situation!

Amazon
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
This is the one I have. It works well so far. http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up-emergency-radios/freeplay-companion-am-fm-led-radio.aspx

jrock24
04-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I have one, but the cooler thing about mine is not only does it run on batteries, has a hand crank, but it also has a solar charger that charges the rechargable batteries.

Rick
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Oh Yeah? Well mine has batteries, a hand crank, a solar charger AND a long power cord. Next!

crashdive123
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Nope - still waiting for the hand crank 42" plasma t.v.

jrock24
04-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Oh Yeah? Well mine has batteries, a hand crank, a solar charger AND a long power cord. Next!

:sneaky2:
Pics or its a lie!
:sailor:

Rick
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
My...uh....batteries are dead on my camera. Yeah! That's the ticket.

Ken
04-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Nuclear Powered, too. You forgot to mention that it came with a nuclear powered generator. :sneaky2: