PDA

View Full Version : HOW do you "KNOW TSHTF" What is the clear proof???

Sourdough
03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
We talk about what if the Sh*t hit the Fund.

But who say's it happened...?? What is the line in the sand...???

Will it be on the 6:PM NEWS...."This just in, today the SHTF.

Today the U.S. Dollar got "Flushed down the Toilet" was that: TSHTF...???

What is the line in the sand that you say, WOW, TSHTF I better do something???

Canadian-guerilla
03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
the MSM ( main stream media ) has started talking about the problems concerning the US economy
for years they've been whitewashing anything that was economically negative

2 years ago, the M3 was dropped

i heard just now on CNBC, " there's a lot of fear in the markets right now "

when the major media talking heads start talking about this stuff
it's only a matter of time before the sheeple/J6P wakes up

the US currency index has dropped below 73 (http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/mdc_currencies.html?refresh=on)

there's major finance people saying, " get out of the stock market "
Peter Schiff
Jim Sinclair
Cramer

pending something happening in the middle east or a false flag
i believe when TSHTF, it will come about from financial/economic collapse
imho

Sourdough
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Bet you did well today.

If the jobs number tomorrow is bad, it will be a wild day. A wild month. The dollar could break below 70 by the end of the month.

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Gold and silver will also continue to rise.......finally. :cool:

Sourdough
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM
C-G, What I don't understand is, the magnitude of this, and people think, well it won't affect me. Or if I ignore it it will go away.

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Now is the time to buy stocks. You buy when they are cheap not when they are top dollar. Wall Street is having a fire sale.

Hopeak - You asked two questions. 1. How do you know. 2. When do I have to do something.

TSHTF quite often. 9/11, Worldcom, Enron, The Pacific Sunami, Housing Bubble. All of those and many more were SHTF situations.

When would I have to do something? I do something any time I need to. I adjust my portfolio as I need to. Move funds from one investment vehicle to another. The stock market is about long term investment not immediate return.

I stock up on items because I'm concerned about a natural disaster not the end of the world.

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry. But that's just dumb. Now is the time to buy stocks. You buy when they are cheap not when they are top dollar. Wall Street is having a fire sale.

Hopeak - You asked two questions. 1. How do you know. 2. When do I have to do something.

TSHTF quite often. 9/11, Worldcom, Enron, The Pacific Sunami, Housing Bubble. All of those and many more were SHTF situations.

When would I have to do something? I do something any time I need to. I adjust my portfolio as I need to. Move funds from one investment vehicle to another. The stock market is about long term investment not immediate return.

I stock up on items because I'm concerned about a natural disaster not the end of the world.

Rick, the Tipi is for rent. ;)

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I'll let folks know.;)

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I had to change my post. I reread it and it came off a bit harsh and not the way I wanted to come across. Sorry about that, I've edited it.

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
LOL....I'll remember that. :D

canid
03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
yeah; dividend goes on the sprinters, principal goes on the slow horse.

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:32 PM
There just is no bad time to buy. If stocks are down (as they are now) then they are cheap, if stocks are up then dividends are cuddly. Dollar cost averaging is the key. Invest the same amount each period (week, month, whatever). Take advantage 1st of 401K and your company's matching funds 2nd Roth IRAs. Sorry Canada, I don't know your tax vehicles.

Over the last three weeks, I've made solid money. Yes, I lost in January but that's just part of the game. That happens when the market is up. You have to look at the course of the year, five year, ten year to say I made or lost.

Canadian-guerilla
03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
C-G, What I don't understand is, the magnitude of this, and people think, well it won't affect me.

i'm no financial technical expert
but from what i've been reading/watching/hearing

if the economy goes - EVERYONE IN NORTH AMERICA will be affected
except the people who engineered this crash - bankers/elite
plus who knows how many countries across the world
the crash of 29 will look like a tea party

an article, something like this, from a major newspaper ?
Rule by fear or rule by law? (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/ED5OUPQJ7.DTL)

New Operation to Put Heavily Armed Officers in Subways (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/nyregion/02machinegun.html?ex=1359694800&en=d1c704f39d7c871b&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg)

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd347.htm

the best place to read up on the US economy is not US newspapers
papers from europe-middle east-russia-asia
will give you a better honest accounting of the US economy

Or if I ignore it it will go away

IMO
the sheeple/J6P don't know and right now don't care
as long as they have their tv, etc
one day they will start to wake up
and see that something is seriously wrong here in north america
and if they don't prepare now
they are going to be pissed off big-time
when they find out their savings are gone, stocks are gone, and paper money is worthless

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
i'm no financial technical expert
but from what i've been reading/watching/hearing

if the economy goes - EVERYONE IN NORTH AMERICA will be affected
except the people who engineered this crash - bankers/elite
plus who knows how many countries across the world
the crash of 29 will look like a tea party

an article, something like this, from a major newspaper ?
Rule by fear or rule by law? (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/04/ED5OUPQJ7.DTL)

New Operation to Put Heavily Armed Officers in Subways (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/nyregion/02machinegun.html?ex=1359694800&en=d1c704f39d7c871b&ei=5124&partner=digg&exprod=digg)

http://www.newswithviews.com/Devvy/kidd347.htm

the best place to read up on the US economy is not US newspapers
papers from europe-middle east-russia-asia
will give you a better honest accounting of the US economy

IMO
the sheeple/J6P don't know and right now don't care
as long as they have their tv, etc
one day they will start to wake up
and see that something is seriously wrong here in north america
and if they don't prepare now
they are going to be pissed off big-time
when they find out their savings are gone, stocks are gone, and paper money is worthless

$105.00 a barrel today my friend.....I like how you think.

I predict $150.00-$165.00 a barrel within six months.

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 09:31 PM
When the FDIC runs out of money, I hope they'll be offering up FHA-possessed McMansions for the difference!

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/3.08/experts.html

Ridge Wolf
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
When the FDIC runs out of money, I hope they'll be offering up FHA-possessed McMansions for the difference!

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/3.08/experts.html

ELF supposedly burns those McMansions to the ground... Not much value there I'm afraid..

dilligaf2u2
03-06-2008, 11:08 PM
You know TSHTF when you go to buy a loaf of bread and you have to take a wheel barrel to haul the money needed. The SHTF when your friends start asking how much your dog weighs. When the government come to your door asking for all your weapons and oh yes(sense we are here) the food from your cupboards.

When to act! That depends on you. If like some you are into investing in some market for long term financial benefits. Ask them. Me? I invest in the supper market. The foods I bought for storage is now hidden and out of the way. I am not rich. So I buy what I can as I can and put it where it I know it would be safe.

Got a deal on red wheat. 50lbs for $10.00. It is in sealed cans and off to where it will stay till I need it. Can you eat your silver and gold. The investments can grow and you can become rich. Just don't forget to cover your no food, even if you have money, times.

Think of it this way: It takes 12 oz of wheat a day to SURVIVE. 6oz two times a day, made into a gruel or hot cereal. 50 lbs would cover over 500 days for one person. Note: survive does not mean in any kind of comfort.

50 lbs of gold will not fill your stomach, if no one has food to sell you.

Don't over look the investments but also don't over look the stores needed to hold you over if you need them.

Don

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
I consider gold and silver an insurance policy.......AFTER all preparation is complete.

crashdive123
03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
For the family traveling on the remote winding mountain road on their vacation, skidding out of control and crashing in a deep ravine....their S just HTF.

For the small town in Kansas being destroyed by an F4 tornado.....their S just HTF.

For the lone hiker falling through the ice.......their S just HTF.

For the familes who lost their homes to the raging forest fire......their S just HTF.

We try and prepare for what we can. Preparing for and economic collapse is but one scenario that is possible.

There are so many things that we prepare for, but when your SHTF, your world vision becomes kind of small and focused, not unlike the person lying in the nursing home who was a leader of industry, or a brilliant scholar, or ..... fill in the blank. Now all they worry about is who is going to change their underware.

Ole WV Coot
03-06-2008, 11:37 PM
:mad:Why did you mention Worldcom & Enron ???:( If I had donated what I lost to Larry the Cable Guy he really could have fed all the starving pygmies in New Guinea for years. I bailed out above 14,000 because of the sucker loans people were snapping up but if you want to settle for a little above 3% or nothing it's your choice. NOW is the time to buy, mutuals not individual stocks unless you're smarter than me. I am happy with my 12% now. As for housing loans, anyone remember around 1978 and the 16% plus loans? You can save your Confederate money & Dixie cups but the South ain't gonna rise again but the market will. If I lose the family jewels(don't need them anyway) I see NO way to stay close to inflation except the market or the Redneck IRA (Lottery):D

wareagle69
03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
ah man i',m out of popcorn well time to head into the bunker the end must be near................... whew found another bag guess i'll make it thru another day boy was that close.. shtf could be anything that puts you and your family's safety in peril, it has a different defination for different people, because i am prepared losing my job for a few months just means i have time to relax and study, if my house burns down i have stocked the gareage and the trailer so i live a little cramped while rebuilding
always be prepared..

Rick
03-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Right on target Coot. For those of you buying up gold right now consider this. It's over $900 US per ounce. That's a 20 year high. In 1980, gold was over $600 an ounce. It then fell to less than $300 an ounce. It took over 25 years for gold to recover to the $600 an ounce range. How is that a good deal? If you buy now and you are wrong, you've just made as expensive of a mistake as you think stocks buyers are making.

I don't have any problem with buying gold. If you bought at $300 an ounce now would sure be a good time to unload and make a bundle. You buy when the price is low and sell when it's high. Stocks are the bargain right now because they are gaining VALUE.

And why does anyone believe news from abroad is any better than news from the U.S.? If you believe the U.S. government can control the media (let's see, I seem to remember a couple of guys named Woodward and Bernstein) don't you think they would be able to control the media abroad? Sheeese.

BraggSurvivor
03-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Right on target Coot. For those of you buying up gold right now consider this. It's over $900 US per ounce. That's a 20 year high. In 1980, gold was over $600 an ounce. It then fell to less than $300 an ounce. It took over 25 years for gold to recover to the $600 an ounce range. How is that a good deal? If you buy now and you are wrong, you've just made as expensive of a mistake as you think stocks buyers are making.

I don't have any problem with buying gold. If you bought at $300 an ounce now would sure be a good time to unload and make a bundle. You buy when the price is low and sell when it's high. Stocks are the bargain right now because they are gaining VALUE.

And why does anyone believe news from abroad is any better than news from the U.S.? If you believe the U.S. government can control the media (let's see, I seem to remember a couple of guys named Woodward and Bernstein) don't you think they would be able to control the media abroad? Sheeese.

I believe that gold will reach $2500 - $3000 and ounce in the coming years. Silver (most undervalued) will reach $100 - $135 and ounce as well. Ninety six percent of all world silver in history has been consumed. Ive been buying precious metals monthly for over 20 years (in my possession) and even if I'm wrong, I still believe I'm farther ahead in the long run. We will see.

Rick
03-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Time IS the inevitable teacher isn't it?

bulrush
03-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, if people are buying 1-2 carts of groceries per person, and the lines at the store are WAY long, then something bad has happened.

JDJ
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
I'll know TSHHTF when I come home from work and the wife hands me my backpack and says "let's go".

Rick
03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Bulrush - It's called Social Security day.:rolleyes: Not only are the lines long but they are slow.

crashdive123
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
I was thinking it was more like "gotta use up that foodstamp money so they can reload my card."

Rick
03-10-2008, 07:27 PM
You and I, sir, are just wicked, wicked men.

crashdive123
03-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I guess we all have our crosses to bear.

Ridge Wolf
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Investing in Gold as a hedge against SHTF is only good 'if' the economy wants to use it after SHTF.. and there is a monetary economy in the first place. I agree with Dillagraf... invest in the 'supper' market. I grow my own and plan to do more of that. Store up other goods for the long term. If and when the economy adapts and adopts, then I'll consider what is to be used for that monetary economy. If SHTF happens in whatever form you need to think of what your needs are going to be.. namely: shelter, food, medical. That is what you need to invest in... then go with the flow afterward.

Rick
03-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Roosevelt passed Executive Order 6102 in 1933. The order prohibited citizens of the U.S. from owning "other-than-token amounts" of gold and from using gold as money. Citizens were forced to sell all gold holdings (apart from jewelry and "coins of special collector value") to the federal government at a price of $20.67 per ounce. In January 1934, Roosevelt raised the official price of gold to $35 per ounce.

Like money, the price of gold is an arbitrary number that is mutually agreed on. Who's to say the government wouldn't force a similar standard on gold if things got worse? A mandated $300 per ounce?

BraggSurvivor
03-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Very valid Rick.....gold would then be forced to go undergound.

BraggSurvivor
03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Its odd because before 1933 gold was the basis of the economy, but now you can't just go in and trade a dollar for gold. This means that the value of your dollar is now regulated by how much of it is in circulation.

Hasn't the presses been working overtime?

Rick
03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I guess you do what you think is best and hope for the best. You invest in metals and I invest in stocks. I think the important thing is that you do SOMETHING. Even if it turns out to be the wrong thing it's better than doing nothing. You have a gauranteed return of nothing when you do nothing. At least we stand a reasonable chance of making a gain.

BraggSurvivor
03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Absolutely. Better to do something than nothing.

I have RESP's for my kids future education and the government adds 20% to whatever you contribute. Only reason I'm in it. Maybe I win, maybe Ill loose. Chance I take gambling on this dim economy.

Meanwhile my metals are finally paying off. Very tempting to sell but what would I do with all that cash with a face of that ugly old queen on it? :D

Its all relative.

Rick
03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
If your reference is to the Federal Reserve increasing their auction the answer is no. It's a bit complicated and I don't pretend to understand the full extent but they basically increased the amounts outstanding in the TAF. This is really about boosting banks' reserves . The other piece is term repurchase transactions that generally occur as the result of repos or overnight loans. It's pretty much a paper trail and actual dollars rarely change hands.

http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed04.html

BraggSurvivor
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
White House Solution to the Dollar Crisis: SHHHHH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Cvg9deslg

Rick
03-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Sort of, almost, optimistic news on the economy. Interesting comment in the article. First I've seen. "The new ethic is that buying a home is a trial, and you see if it works for you financially ... It's an investor's ethic."

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN1048769720080311

Ridge Wolf
03-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I forget what year this country abandoned the 'gold standard' and went to the 'federal reserve note'.. Now that makes it easier for the government to print money if they need it.. which lowers the value btw... Also, the federal reserve isn't even a part of the government... but a private banking operation.. located out of the country. go figure.. :rolleyes:

Rick
03-11-2008, 06:44 PM
It's odd isn't it that the U.S. dollar is now considered an "anchor currency" on which the price of gold is based. The U.S. abandon the gold standard in 1971.

The Federal Reserve System overseas U.S. Banking. It governs 12 Federal reserve banks across the U.S. It's very much a part of the Federal Government but it is separate from the three main branches; Judicial, Executive and Legistlative. In theory, that keeps the President and the Congress from exerting undo pressure and printing money and their whim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Reserve

BraggSurvivor
03-11-2008, 06:48 PM
It's odd isn't it that the U.S. dollar is now considered an "anchor currency" on which the price of gold is based. The U.S. abandon the gold standard in 1971.

U.S. dollar is now considered an "anchor currency" on which the price of gold is based

Not anymore my friend......

Rick
03-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm of the opinion that it still is. If you have a source, I'd like to read it.

Here's a link to a wiki on "Gold Fixing". That's the twice daily pricing of gold and how the price is determined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Fixing

BraggSurvivor
03-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm of the opinion that it still is. If you have a source, I'd like to read it.

I will Rick but I gotta run........4H meeting tonight. Be back on later.

beerrunner13
03-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Exactly RW this country has been under the control of the international bankers for a long time, one of these days the sheeple will wake up but I fear it is to late. Anyone ever read the bool none dare call it consireasy[sp]

Rick
03-11-2008, 07:19 PM
If it's the one by Gary Allen, it's available on line:

http://reactor-core.org/none-dare.html

Sheeple is sort of disparaging remark. I actually consider myself one because I don't buy into the world is going to end, the economy is sinking thought process. I'd be interested in understanding why you think the banking policies are, in some way, massaging the masses. (not certain that was worded well but I don' know what your thinking is).

BraggSurvivor
03-11-2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.commodityonline.com/news/MostRead/newnews.php?id=6002

Silver is still the better bargain. Watch where silver is gonna go.....;)

Canadian-guerilla
03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I'd be interested in understanding why you think the banking policies are, in some way, massaging the masses. (not certain that was worded well but I don' know what your thinking is).

i don't have the exact dates
but about 6-8 weeks ago
the Dow started off on a bad day and sunk 400(?) points
by the end of the day, the Dow ended up 200+
a 600 point swing

and just about 2 weeks ago
the dow was down by -190(?) points by 3:30 pm
by 4:00 o'clock close
the Dow finished 96+(?)
a 200 point swing in 30 minutes

if you want the exact numbers and dates, i can get them for you

ever heard of the PPT ? ( plunge protection team )

these free markets are guided by unseen hands

beerrunner13
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Yes Rick that is the one, I did not mean to disrespect you. I don't know where to start on how our economy is being toyed with but it has been going on for so long and so covertly no body seems to notice, strike that most people don't. It all starts here with the Fed which I think you pointed out is not even a part of our goverment. We have not been on the gold standard for all this time and the fed keeps saying print more money, but the money is worth less each time they print up a new batch.Our money is worth less hence our goods cost more becuse the goods have real value and the money dosn't it is all backed by the promis and when the call comes to redeem the promise there will be nothing there.

the bankers who have been extending the credit call the loans and forclose takeing the secutity that folks have put up for thier loans that have real value leaveing the masses with nothing and pretty much inslaved.

This same little group of international bankers is doing this all over the world, loaning money to countrys that is really a just a promise and getting either the intrest on these loans or real goods. Thyey go so far as to finance both sides of a war and collect from the winnwer. The house of Warburg put up the money for Hitler in the begining. I am not to good at explaining my thoughts on a keyboard but this is part of it. If you have the time read the bookor skim through it Mr. Allen explains it very well and I don't have the book here right now and do not want to misquote him.

Again I did not mean to be harsh or disresptful to you or most of the other members as I think this is a very good group.

Sourdough
03-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Don't worry about it, the goverment can solve any problem. The FED is able on duty, and in command of the ship. Buy stocks on margin, use your credit card, you will be rich in two months. Don't worry about "TSHTF", Buy a new car, and a new truck, and a new motorhome. Motorhomes get good gas mileage. Everything will be fine.

Rick
03-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Beerunner -

1. You didn't disrespect me. I didn't take offense to the sheeple comment so there's no need to apologize but thank you anyway.

2. The Fed is part of the government. I posted that with some other information.

3. You actually did a nice job of stating your position and your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to do that. It's selfish on my part but it does help me to understand what you are thinking.

I really don't have a lot of disagreement with what you stated. I guess the only difference is that I prefer to have those folks in place. Think of it in a bit smaller terms. When this country first started there was no standard currency in place. Gold and silver were very scarce commodities (pre-goldrush) and came mostly in the form of Spanish gold dalers (that is spelled correctly) and some English gold coins. It created real problems in commerce because everyone had their own form of fiat money and their own assigned values. Worse still, the representative money was backed by all sorts of commodities; tobacco in Virginia and the Carolinas, for example. It was clear that something had to be done to standardize the currency within the government so everyone played on the same field.

Since our government traded with other governments (Britain, France and Spain pirmarily) it only made sense that our currency had to somehow be comparable to theirs. Imagine world commerce today without standardization of the world's monetary funds. I doubt we would have advanced as quickly as we did without it.

There are only a few types of currency that can be traded. Commodity money, representative money, credit money and fiat money (Off the top of my head I think that's it). It doesn't matter which type you use. Many third world countries still use commodities to trade with. I'll over simply this but it really boils down to convenience, which one you believe is the most solvent and which you are the most comfortable with. We could exchange marble rocks if we could both agree on a set value.

Bottom line. I think those folks are needed to keep the checks and balances in place. Yes they make money and they are not well publicized and are a mysterious group to the masses. But couldn't the same be said of major religions or corporations or anyone that holds any form of power over us?

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to offer a different view.

Beo
03-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Getting back to the question, how do you know when the SHTF will happen, I don't really know when it will happen, what if that snowstorm turned to a blizzard or an ice storm lasted for days, knocking out the power and phone lines? Would you be prepared? Or what if you lost your job, or an illness or injury prevented you from working for a lengthy time? Could you survive? Or what if you had a severe economic depression? Could you and your family cope? I think so, we have been through some hard times already and together have come thru because we were prepared.
Commonsense preparedness is not a new concept based on the fear of an Armageddon or SHTF scenario. It's an old idea that goes back to biblical times when Joseph advised the pharaoh to store food for the coming famine. In modern times Mormons, Mennonites, Amish, and even our grandparents lead or have led lives based on being prepared for unexpected hard times. But today in most folks’ everyday lives, commonsense preparedness has fallen by the wayside, and vast numbers of people are totally unprepared for even the smallest emergency let alone a big one. There is much you can do to remedy this, and it starts with taking stock of just what makes your household tick.

Sourdough
05-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't know, but maybe two years from now we will look back and it will be clear that it was mid March 2008. High and climbing unemployment, Food shortages, and rocketing food prices, Gasoline rocketing up. Banking world wide full constipation, no loans to anyone, not even to other banks. New auto sales off 31%, even Toyota.

beerrunner13
05-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't forget out of control credit card debt, My wife got a pre approved one this after noon[we get at least 1 a week] I looked at it 21.98% intrest, another one in the shredder. Why do people fall for this crap?

Rick
05-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Credit card reform may be on the way:

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/02/news/economy/fed_credit_cards/

grundle
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
For me TSHTF when gas prices went over $2.00 a gallon. I have already started taking steps to make sure I am prepared for anything.

1. Step1) Get debt free - If the banks all crash and I don't owe them money there is nothing for me to be scared of.
2. Step2) Save up and buy a decent plot of land. (I have a decent plot now, but 1+ acres would be ideal for self sufficiency.)
3. Step3) Work the land and start stocking up on edibles/Build some Natural Energy producers (wind/water/solar).

That is a bare-bones outline of what I have in mind. Unfortunately I am at step1 but I have already calculated that I will be free of all my debts, except for the house mortgage, this year.

The mortgage will be destroyed in about 5 years max.

Kelticfox
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Like other people have metioned TSHTF is individually subjective.

My own version of SHTF is very high considering:

I was orphaned at 6 grew up Social Services.
I've had about 16 bones in my body NOT broken.
Ran away as a child and lived in woods for 6 months
Served in Iraq for 9 months during 2003 when all the riot were happening
Had a brain tumour
Had a mini-stroke (caused by the brain tumour)

(And I'm only 26)

I dont worry about SHTF so much as I know I can survive. However what does worry me is what everyone else will do.

The most major SHTF I can possible think about is the Electricity being switched off for a long time. OBviously this will cause average Joe Smith to panic, start looting, shooting etc.

That will be the time i take that backup can of petrol (Gas for you Americans) and drive to somewhere away from civilisation but near a wood.

I beleive however in the Tibetian saying:
"If you can change a situation there's no point in worrying about it. If you can't change a situation what's the point in worrying about it?"

Ole WV Coot
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Well somebody(ME) will lose a big chunk of change because at noon I made a BIG buy back into the market. Hiding cash at less than 3% ain't for me. I got out as a previous post of mine stated , well back in because I think the time is right and my broker has always called me very conservative.

bulrush
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Hiding cash at less than 3% ain't for me.

I have a 5.25% 13 month CD, because I'm at a credit union. Nyah nyah.

Yes I'm also worried what others will do. What happens if riots start in my area, and the police can't be everywhere, and I have to shoot someone to keep them from robbing my place? I'm the one who goes to jail because I'm stationary and I'm the one that's most easily caught.

Keep in mind Michigan has the "run away like a scared little girl" self defense law. You can't call anything self defense unless you are cornered and unable to run somewhere else. And you have to prove you were cornered. You are guilty until proven innocent, just like in France.

trax
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I beleive however in the Tibetian saying:
"If you can change a situation there's no point in worrying about it. If you can't change a situation what's the point in worrying about it?"

OK, now I'm worried...:(

commoguy
05-02-2008, 04:03 PM
personally the whole tshtf scenario is relative to you and your situation.

Rick
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Bulrush - You mean you have a 1.25% rate. The current rate of inflation is right at 4% which means you'll only net 1.25%. So much for the nyah nyah, huh?

By the way, Coot. I never left. Been sitting on the mutual funds from day one. Like a momma hen on her eggs.:D

Ole WV Coot
05-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Bulrush - You mean you have a 1.25% rate. The current rate of inflation is right at 4% which means you'll only net 1.25%. So much for the nyah nyah, huh?

By the way, Coot. I never left. Been sitting on the mutual funds from day one. Like a momma hen on her eggs.:D

Same here. I had 50% that stayed in a mutual that's been closed to buyers for a couple of years. I have that as a 401k so no taxes yet. I bailed on my other account. I think it pays to have more than one account. My broker is working up another now, I ain't greedy. If I can make a quick 10% in a week or so it's gone.

Chicago Dan
05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Unlike most people here in the windy city we are really fortunate to be spared most natural disasters‘. At least any reasonable estimate at odds say… Flooding-no, tornado-no, Tsunami-no, Hurricane-no, earthquake-no,
etc., etc..
Those disasters that would hit us hard would also effect the nation. Like Yellowstone going pop, pandemic, economic collapse, etc.

We do have one that is greater than most of America: Terrorism- yes.

That said,
I have one simple barometer and no I will not explain.

"When the natives get restless"

crashdive123
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
....and don't forget the other man made problems that pose threats. Things like gas leaks, fires, meth labs, home invasions, and of course as you said the threat of terrorism is a real one.

Rick
05-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I seem to remember someone setting timbers in the Chicago River and punching through an abandoned tunnel a few years ago. Flooding-No?

Chicago Dan
05-12-2008, 02:29 AM
I would'nt call a few feet of water in the basements of a number of downtown buildings flooding.
Water never came close to street level.

Rick
05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Well, I bet you would if you owned one those buildings. I'll bet their insurance company did, too. I know a number of commercial disaster plans were enacted because of the generators and media storage that were housed in those basements. Gens don't run well half submerged in water.:D And guess where the electrical panels and com rooms were.......

Chicago Dan
05-12-2008, 09:08 AM
I was working at the CBOT(one of the buildings affected) and I can personally tell you that not one person even got their shoes wet.
Hardly a call to head for the hills or hunker down.

Rick
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
No argument with that. I was just responding (tongue in cheek as it were) to the flooding-no part.

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
2. The Fed is part of the government. I posted that with some other information.

The FED is not part of our government nor is it a function of our Republic. Their is a extremely well written explanation of the FED in my signature that has never successfully been disputed.

Rick
05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
You may call it what you want. It's the central banking system of the U.S. It's the fiscal agent of the U.S. Treasury. That's about as much a part of our government as you can get.

Sam Reeves
05-13-2008, 10:07 PM
You may call it what you want. It's the central banking system of the U.S. It's the fiscal agent of the U.S. Treasury. That's about as much a part of our government as you can get.

Yeah. The FED was part of FDR's "New Deal" and the ultimate blasphy of everything America stood for up till that point. You could just as well declare all the fruity lobbist part of our governemt but it wouldn't make it true.

By the way, you will know the SHTF when the FED stops loaning America money via printing press.

Rick
05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Tomato, Tomahto.:rolleyes:

Let's see. Paper money is just an arbitrary price set as a value for the currency. Gold is.....oh, yea, an arbitrary price set as a value for the currency. How silly of me.

Sam Reeves
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
Tomato, Tomahto.:rolleyes:

Let's see. Paper money is just an arbitrary price set as a value for the currency. Gold is.....oh, yea, an arbitrary price set as a value for the currency. How silly of me.

The dollar is based on the economy vs the GNP vs the National debt. Not exactly arbitrary.

Gold is based on global supply and demand. Also not exactly arbitrary.

The FED is based on old money that existed before America. The FED is not nor has ever it ever been American.

If the dollar and gold have arbitrary values who sets the values, the FED?

grazer
06-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Can anyone explain to me how 35% rise in gasoline price and 40% rise in food prices and 70% rise in natural gas prices in a year comes out to a 2% inflation rate???

If my wife came home with a tale that far-fetched I might suspect something is amiss.

Rick
06-11-2008, 08:44 AM
That's just a small part of the overall data base.

http://www.inflationdata.com/Inflation/Articles/CalculateInflation.asp

Sourdough
06-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Can anyone explain to me how 35% rise in gasoline price and 40% rise in food prices and 70% rise in natural gas prices in a year comes out to a 2% inflation rate???

If my wife came home with a tale that far-fetched I might suspect something is amiss.

To keep it from being worse, they lie. :eek:

BraggSurvivor
06-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Agreed hopeak, a huge web of lies. I watch Bloomberg every monday morning.......what a joke, almost laughable! What I cant believe is people suck it up, then try to lick the bottom.

Beo
06-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree also, they lie to us, always have... always will.

Rick
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
1. Who are "they"? 2. You both seem to have a solid handle on it so what is the true rate of inflation 3. How do you arrive at your numbers? 4. How long have "they" been lying to us? And...4. How do you fix it?

Just curious. Inquiring minds want to know.

crashdive123
06-11-2008, 06:49 PM
:rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj49V13Iv-4 :D