PDA

View Full Version : What "STOPS" your "DREAM"

Sourdough
03-06-2008, 11:06 AM
WildWomen said she is, "Living her dream, not dreaming her dream".

So what stops you....????? Please don't say "MONEY".

If you can visualize it, you can have it. If you can dream it, You can manifest it. Why are you "NOT" worthy of a "LIFE WORTH LIVING"....????

Why do you need The SHTF be for you can bug'out to Canada or Alaska...???

CabinGirl talks about her cabin, members go Ooo'nice. BraggSurvivor talks about his 600 acre Retreat in Alberta wilderness, members go Ooo'nice.

Why do some dream the dream, and others "LIVE THE DREAM".....

So "WHAT" stops you...?:rolleyes:

Beo
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Money is a valid reason, I got debt and when I go off the grid how will I pay off my debt. I will go off the grid once I retire, when I'm 54 I can get a full retirement and then I'm gone. If I should be able to pay them off before then I'll go then but till then I'm stuck here preparing.

bulrush
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
To be honest, I don't know where to build a (sizable) cabin where the authorities won't inspect it and say "Wrong, tear it down." Plus I want to live in a warmer area than Michigan. Inspectors, in Michigan anyway, refuse to tell you what the codes are, making it impossible to fix the code violations without hiring an expensive professional. Makes me think the inspectors really don't know what the codes are.

In a magazine I just read this month, some guy built a cabin. In the state he was in, if said cabin was 100 sq ft or smaller it was not subject to building codes. However my cabin would have to be at least 1000 sq ft.

Oh yeah, going off grid is MUCH more expensive to generate electricity. A battery bank costs $6000 or more, which must be replaced every 5 years. Solar panels for a small output, cost $10,000. You must buy invertors, a charge controller, and more. So, going off grid requires LOTS of money, and a steady income (if you want electricity that is). I seriously looked into solar power several times since 1999, and it just is not cost efficient.

I tried making passive solar heaters to put in my southern house windows but there is not enough solar energy in Michigan in the winter to make them work. My Mark I and Mark II models didn't work out, though as spring approaches they are starting to generate more heat.

Sourdough
03-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Beo, Where would you go...? Is your pension transferable? What is the foundation of Ohio States Pension program...?? CDO's ??? CFO's ??? SUV's ??? CDS's ??? Chrysler Motors Stock ??? I don't really want to know but if I was betting my "DREAM"....????

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I see with family and friends that come to visit my homestead that distance and fear of living away from the big city is their foremost concern. They love to visit and eat all my food and drink all my beer, eat my fresh homegrown meat and kick up their feet and relax in the beautiful quiet of nature. But to actually live out here and work hard they always back down with loads of excuses. All talk with no action. They say how lucky and fortune we are to raise a family away from everything but when I ask them why dont they do the same, they quickly change the subject and reach for another rum.

When my wife and I met, we had the same goals which I believe makes the transition alot easier. If your not on the same page with life in general, your dream will never get off the ground. I didnt win the lottery, inherit a large sum of money or have horse shoes up my arse. It took alot of commitment, hard work and dedication to get where we are at. We started with nothing and debt to boot. We saved for the down payment on the raw land, bought an old school bus as our first home and lived without power and water. I pulled water from a creek on a sled by hand and sponge bathed the babies in a wash tub from water heated on the wood stove. Our only light bulb in the bus was twelve volt bulb run off the battery on the jeep which I pulled up close to the bus. (that's what life is all about and one of my fondest memories when we started out here)
I built a multi million dollar company from scratch and paid cash for whatever I built or purchased. We really went without to pay our mortgage off in five years. Ive hired experienced trustworthy employees to run my company so I only have to work 2-3 days a week now. I only keep enough cash in the bank to pay my monthly bills and payroll, the rest I buy physical gold and silver. My son is already following in my footprints by saving money for property and even buying affordable "junk silver" for his future and one day he will be able to do whatever he wants in life.

Ive lived a lifetime already at 42 years old, and my dreams have come true with hard work and a dedicated women by my side.

Looking forward to part two.......

PS - there are no excuses

Beo
03-06-2008, 12:48 PM
My pension is PERS-LE which is Public Employees Retirement System-Law Enfrcement, having 16 years in I am vested and can retire now but only at 62%, when I have in my 25 years I'll get my full pension plus medical coverage thru blue cross blue shield. I will either head to Northern Montana along the boarder of Canada or into Canada just above Saskatoon about 100 miles, or Alaska in the Interior about 100 to 200 miles south of Galena. Those are my plans. I'm not asking permission from anyone, I'm going away from everyone and just build a cabin, till its ready I'll use a debris hut or stay in town. Fly in what I need to get started, good guns for hunting, ammo cache etc. and once the cabin is done fly in my esscentuals and live out my life. I don't need electricity. Dick Proenneke did it so I figure I can too.
I don't have a multi-million dollar company, didn't win the lottery, I'm just stock piling now what I'll need in the way tools, cloth, and money. A corner of my garage is filled with tools for working trees into lumber by hand, and the canvas cloth for making what I need, paracord by the spool and other gear. It's not a matter of "IF" I do it, but when. I know I will go, once my debts paid off (knocking it out now) and then pulling my money resources in to get the supplies flown out and dropped off.

bulrush
03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Well, Bragg, I'll drag that dead deer home, I'll help you butcher it if you can teach me, I'll help with the canning, garden, and I'll go buy more beer if I drink it. Sound fair?

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, Bragg, I'll drag that dead deer home, I'll help you butcher it if you can teach me, I'll help with the canning, garden, and I'll go buy more beer if I drink it. Sound fair?

You had you chance with Spud. :D All positions have been filled here. :p

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I have proof. Here is a pic from last summer.......wife serving my buddy beer all awhile waiting for supper.

Typical day in the hood......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/IMGP0252.jpg

Riverrat
03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
"Live the dream", I am doing that now, to a point. I live on a dead end road, around and hour away from the cloest city, and it is not that big. I live by a brook, which runs year around (hydro?) I have a river across the road which has great salmon and trout fishing. I do have bills, so do have to work, but alot of my food comes from growing it or nature. I use wood for heat, my furnace does have a blower, but hoping to have a few things hooked up to either solar, hydro or wind power in the next couple of years. We just re-did our house, putting in new windows, log siding, and new steel on the roof. I now use less then 3 cord of wood to heat for the winter. I am lucky in that my cabin is my house.

I have a wife who belives along the same lines as me, we have a pantery where we put up what we can or pickle. We both love the outdoors, and neither are lazy. We have a good size garden which we share with my mother, so all work in it. There are deer, moose and grouse around here, along with the fish, to add varity to your diet. I did get lucky in that most of my tools came to me from my father, and he taught me alot of what I need to survie out here. All in all, I would say I am living where I want to be what ever happens.

trax
03-06-2008, 02:16 PM
What I'm doing here for a living still is of value to me, I'm not concerned with running away from the world. I get to spend plenty of time doing the things I love to do outdoors as it is, and I simply foresee a day when I will live that lifestyle full time. I too, have debtors to consider, the work I'm doing isn't making me rich by any stretch of the imagination, so I agree with Beo's first statement, money is a serious consideration.

Also, when I do make the move, the prep work that I've done up to that time will make the move pretty seamless and if someone comes riding up on a pale horse wearing a hooded cloak and carrying a scythe in the meantime, I'm prepared to fade back or hole up, whichever the situation seems most to call for.

Beo
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Bragg, I wasn't downing what you said when I said "I don't have a mulitmillion dollar company" just wanted to clear that up.

BraggSurvivor
03-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Bragg, I wasn't downing what you said when I said "I don't have a mulitmillion dollar company" just wanted to clear that up.

Dont sweat it bro, I didnt even notice......I knew what you were trying to say. :)

beerrunner13
03-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Like many others I am trying to pay off debt I inherited my new wifes bills when we got married,and in the mean time we are gathering and stockpileing what we will need. Researching where we want to go and looking at land, getting training in our weak areas and looking into alternitve energy.

FVR
03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Time for fullfilling my dream is over, it's time to fullfill the kids dreams. I had my chance and have no regrets.

Now, when the little ones are 18, FVR's dream completion will continue. I'll be a young 60 or an old 40, maybe a tired 50, or.......an energetic 70.

wildWoman
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Where's Remy's psychoanalysis of this topic?

I think most people don't like change because you can't tell if after it you'll be better off than before or not. If a crisis hits, such a serious illness, death of a partner or some such thing, people suddenly can and do change their lives, no matter what their financial or family situation is like. Maybe realizing a dream somehow isn't a good enough reason for people to take the risk of radically changing things. So the dream might actually not be such a vital thing. And if you have a partner and that person doesn't share your dream, it would be a pretty hefty choice to ditch the partner for very egotistical reasons.

The other thing I've noticed is that particularly many of us "Generation X"ers are not prepared to put plain old hard work into things. Many that I know demand to maintain all the perks of the life they currently have and are unwilling to cut back on anything, so basically to be magically transported into the lifestyle of their dreams without having to work for it.

And then there are lots of peole who really just want to dream. Who are basically happy the way they are, and just enjoy daydreaming about a differnt kind of life, but don't have the urge to pursue it. Maybe that's even the majority of people?

FVR
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Dreams, ahhhh, they're for dreamers.

I'm a dreamer, kind of a romantic. It's not the end destination, for me it's the journey. The anticipation, the preparing.

I'm just happy walking up a trout stream, sitting down, making a hot cup of tea or buillon the old fashion way, breathing the smoke and that's it.

I have an old friend, late 60's, pretty stove up, his dream was to bowhunt caribou. He told me, he'll never do it, just too old. He is. But the guy has taken so many trophy size deer, just don't get it.

My dream, tipi, muzzleloader, elk hunt in the Rockies. My son's dream also, he just don't know it yet.LOL. When he realizes it, we are going.

Always dreamed of a Harley. I've owned so many bikes, had one for an only vehicle for a long time. Now, kids are here, just don't want to go out for a ride one day and never come home. Or come home in a wheelchair or be in a coma, or you get the idea. So, when the kids turn 18, I will have already built my Sportster chopper, I will put on my old biker jacket that nows is a USMC moto vest, and hit the road. First stop, Daytona, AND I'M RIDING THE BIKE, NO FREAK'N TRAILERS FOR ME. Next Sturgis.

I'll pull the bike into the garage and park it. May clean it up a little and I'll be satisfied.

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm living my dream. I'm happy right where I'm at. I don't have any desire to be off the grid or live 40 miles from the nearest town. I'm close enough to the city that my grandkids can enjoy a zoo or the world's best children's museum. My wife and I can go to dinner if we choose or a museum or sit out at night with a neighbor. We're far enough away that we can walk down the street at night with little worry and I can hike and camp within 1 or 2 hours drive. I don't have to be anywhere else. I like being me and I like where I be.

canid
03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
...I'm close enough to the city that my grandkids can enjoy...the world's best children's museum...

you're that close to Columbus? jk, sorry; Cosi has my money for that title.

Rick
03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Indianapolis has been voted the world's best for several years now. You'll never see another kids museum like Indy's. It's pretty awe inspiring even for this big kid.

canid
03-06-2008, 08:23 PM
yeah, if i still lived in ohio i'd be borrowing other people's kids just for the excuse to go play at cosi :D

i'll have to check that one out if i'm ever in your state. why don't they make stuff like that for [alleged] adults?

dilligaf2u2
03-06-2008, 11:22 PM
She said "not if you were the last man on earth"! Stopped me right in my tracks.

Some day I might get over it. Till then, Anna Margret will just have to suffer along without me!

Don

crashdive123
03-06-2008, 11:31 PM
WildWomen said she is, "Living her dream, not dreaming her dream".

So what stops you....????? Please don't say "MONEY".

If you can visualize it, you can have it. If you can dream it, You can manifest it. Why are you "NOT" worthy of a "LIFE WORTH LIVING"....????

Why do you need The SHTF be for you can bug'out to Canada or Alaska...???

CabinGirl talks about her cabin, members go Ooo'nice. BraggSurvivor talks about his 600 acre Retreat in Alberta wilderness, members go Ooo'nice.

Why do some dream the dream, and others "LIVE THE DREAM".....

So "WHAT" stops you...?:rolleyes:

Nothing stops me. I am where I am because I did what I did. I have no desire to bug out anywhere. I do enjoy the wilderness, but for now at least my excursions are just that....excursions for my enjoyment.

I think alot (for me anyway) of the oooo nice comments are not out of jealousy or envy, but rather an appreciation that they are doing what they want.

Hopeak, when I look at your website and see that georgous land that is for sale I think that "somebody is going to be real happy there". (hope you close the sale)

When I evaluate where I am, I am thankful. I live a modest lifestyle, enjoy what I'm doing and where I'm doing it. Do I have dreams and plans for the future? You bet. But I've still got things I want to accomplish here.

Sourdough
03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Hopeak, when I look at your website and see that georgous land that is for sale I think that "somebody is going to be real happy there". (hope you close the sale)

Crash, That is my back yard, It is awesome; but it needs a younger owner, and I need to move down the mountain a weee'bit. Thank you for the observation......:)

crashdive123
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Sam: It doesn't make you weak. It makes you, well YOU! I'm glad I'm getting to know YOU from your posts.

canid
03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
i'm waiting for TCHMW [the cash hitting my wallet] before moving back to alaska. it doesn't help that my lady hates the cold.

Smok
03-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Will not living my dream yet but and this will sound BAD ... I'll be 50 this year I was forest into retirement that's OK but I am having to take carry of my MOM she is on dialysis three days a week been on it for 7 years which is a long time and she is still doing good which is great Dads been gone for 5 years and my brother well not have anything to do with her so it's just me . I've never married because all I wanted to do was fish and be left alone but noooo not for me I have to take care of every one First my Grandma then my Dad and now my Mom... But I have all my stuff ,,,, I just hate to think of what has to happen before I can go and live my dream , that can get to you... I just hate the thought she a great old bird:rolleyes: