PDA

View Full Version : Misc tips: cheap buckles, candles, more

bulrush
03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Here's a collection on misc tips.

- Get inexpensive plastic clasps, buckles, and D-rings for repairing backpacks, bags and other items. Buy cat and dog collars at the dollar store and remove buckles.

- My dollar store has metal perforated pencil holders and small office pad holders. Since these are made of metal they might be useful for making small camping stoves. Or as a strainer/pre-filter for dirty water.

- Mix epoxy in plastic or metal bottle caps.

- Make candles by saving old glass candle holders, then buying new wicks. Melt the old wax in a metal can in a double boiler, then pour in a heat-safe glass container. Other heat-safe glass containers are: hot fudge jars, cheese jars (where you microwave the cheese to melt it). These jars are designed to take the heat.

I have tried making wicks out of cotton string but they did not work for me. I don't know why so I just buy my wicks from the hobby store.

- My dollar store also carries catholic prayer candles. These are 10-12 inch high glass jars that have a long-burning candle. Great for power outages, camping, or any where you need light. Since the glass is heat-safe you can refill them easily.

- Cheap tent stakes could be made from ice picks from the dollar store.

- If you want to make a knife in your own shape, you might practice on a dollar store knife and simply shape it to the shape you want. Then use real steel for your "real" knife.

- You might also find cheap metal pots and convert them to a wood or alcohol stove.

- Tampons are made from pure cotton. Use the fuzzy part, fray it out, and use it for tinder.

- www.cheaperthandirt.com has great prices on camping, hunting, and survival equipment. I got an East german alcohol stove kit (cook pot, stove, alcohol bottle, wind shield, pan with handle) for $7 (plus shipping). I also got the Swiss Volcano stove, about $8 I think. And they have Esbit and other fuel tabs and fuel tab stoves, lots of surplus stuff and gun parts. TONS of ammo (though it looks like cheap eastern European stuff).

crashdive123
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Some good ideas there bulrush - thanks.

Rick
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey, Bulrush, good stuff! On the candle making, you can use a pyrex measuring cup and heat your wax or paraffin in the microwave. Once you are done, just run the measuring cup under hot water and the film of paraffin clinging inside the cup will melt away!

dilligaf2u2
03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
11. Tampons make great compression bandannas.

12. There are so many uses for Bandannas but most times they are just a tad too small. Pick up some cheep cotton cloth. Cut the cloth into 18" & 24" triangles. Now you have a bandanna that will work for a lot more uses. Bikini for the wife or girl friend. Splints and wash cloths. Head gear and signal flags.

13. Coal oil lamp wicks do a good job as candle wicks.

14. Hydrate yourself before you leave for a camping trip. Then again at the start of the trail. It is easier to carry water in you then on you.

15. Rat traps (Drill a hole in it to use as an anchor) can get squirrels, cats and small fur bearing critters, when snares don't seem to work. I have used screws to anchor them to trees and cough squires.

16. Safety pins in your hat gives you access to them and keeps them safe and out of the way. I carry 4 or 5 in my baseball hat and more then once was the hero when a lady needed them to repair a broke strap.

17. Candles are useful but they do not hold up in the heat of summer. A tin can, like a shoe wax can, stuffed with wax and a wick from a coal oil lamp, gives you a candle that would be useful in all kinds of weather.

18. Reading glasses and eye glasses can be used to start fires. Use as a magnifying glass.

19. Bacon is not ever considered an item you can leave at home to save weight in your pack. If you must leave other things out and take more Bacon? I recommend you do so!

20. Pepperoni is another food you should always carry in your pack. A 18" stick of Pepperoni is about $5 at the big box store (I keep 3 or 4 in the frig at all times). Pepperoni lasts a long time if wrapped. It adds flavor to foods and fats your body needs.

Don

Last Mohican
03-07-2008, 01:16 PM
My wife is always yelling at me because before she throws anything away, I always cut off the buckles, remove and save the screws, or save the cords. I won't even let her throw away used 64 oz Gatorade bottles ( which BTW are perfect for water bottles) I always keep several in my car and throw one in my pack for hiking.

Last Mohican
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Last night I just found 12' x 15' - 8# painters canvas @ Ollies Bargain Outlet for $24.99. I finally got my PVC kayak frame covered ( just have to coat it now ) and I still have enough left over to make a shelter. Two of those together should be large enough to make a teepee.

Rick
03-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Don? Did you mean tampon and bandanna or pad and bandage? I've got these pictures running through my head trying to figure out the tampon and bandanna thing and it ain't pretty!

bulrush
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
11. Tampons make great compression bandannas.

They just dont' fit around my forehead real well.

For you yank's out there, coal oil and paraffin oil is the same as kerosene.

18. Reading glasses and eye glasses can be used to start fires. Use as a magnifying glass.

True, only if they are convex lenses. Don't assume your glasses will start a fire, test them first. If anyone has tried this, please report if your lenses are glass or plastic, and if they are convex or concave. Call your eye doctor. My lenses, which are plastic, did not work.

I'm not saying your're wrong, I'm just saying not every pair of glasses will work, because I've tried it.

crashdive123
03-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I was able to start a fire with my plastic reading glasses. Two drops of water on the lens to help concentrate the rays.

zaebra
03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
a quick note about epoxy: you'll want to be very careful about mixing epoxy on a plastic surface. there's some sort of chemical reaction that makes the plastic blistering hot and usually melts the plastic. use metal or glass, or a simple piece of cardboard.

because blisters is bad!

bulrush
03-10-2008, 01:18 PM
a quick note about epoxy: you'll want to be very careful about mixing epoxy on a plastic surface. there's some sort of chemical reaction that makes the plastic blistering hot and usually melts the plastic. use metal or glass, or a simple piece of cardboard.

Thanks Goldrydd, I always like to get as much info as I can before making a decision. However I think your exothermic reaction is only for certain plastics. I have done this about 8 times in plastic bottle caps with no heat generated and I use 2 part epoxy. Perhaps it's a function of the TYPE of epoxy and certain types of plastic. Anyway, no problem with plastic bottle caps here.

The bottles are PET (I think) and the caps are something else (polyethylene?). Perhaps the reaction is with PET or maybe acrylic.

Also, this may pertain to very old epoxies, many years ago. They might have changed epoxy recipes since then.