PDA

View Full Version : multi tool.

ATough
07-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Ive been savng for a good multi tool for some time now and was wondering if anybody had a suggestion as to which multi tool brand and style I should buy.
thanks

troutndeer
07-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I strongly recomend leatherman, I have been wareing a leatherman super tool for years. I also really like the Sog tools. I have found the gerber tools flimsly compared to the others, but Some people love em. Hope this helped :)

marberry
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
Leatherman is the only way to go. (sorry if im biased im a leatherman collector) i have 6 different leatherman modles and use all of em all the time. the best one is by FAR the Wave, i have the special edition and absolutially adore it. i would rather go hiking naked then without it. it costs roughly $120 so if your willin 2 spend that kinda money buy the wave. you wont regret it.

ky archer
07-01-2007, 11:24 PM
I carry a Gerber Suspension multi tool now, but I prefer the Leatherman multi's. I broke a Gerber , but never a Leatherman. I also like the SOG knives. I carry a SOG Jungle Primitive bowie with me anytime I go out in the boonies and it is a hell of a knife. Well worth the money.:cool:

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Leatherman is a good choice, however I use the model that I've seen Les Stroud use which is the Victorinox, the people who make a top quality Swiss Army Knife. I really like the fact that I can acess the assesories without having to open it up. SARGE.

RobertRogers
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Yep, the wave tool is one of the best. I don't leave home w/out it.

RobertRogers
07-09-2007, 07:24 PM
the WAVE is the way

RobertRogers
07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
the WAVE is the way (sorry about my triple post - for some reason the button did not seem to be working)

woodzman
07-09-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm a Leatherman fan too. I've been using the same one (PST II) for close to ten years and It's still going strong.

Woodland
07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
For years I carried the original leatherman tool, right now I have the Gerber 600 Sportsman I think, I carry it and use it daily on the farm and at the plant I work at. It's held up fine, but I plan on getting a Leatherman Supertool or one of the larger Leathermans sometime within the next 6 months, The leathermans seam to be a lot tighter and the diamond files and woosaw would be useful.
Bob

survival scout
07-22-2007, 07:39 AM
What about the cons of having a multi tool in a survival situtation if you lose it then you are without many of you tools. Do the pro's of having everything in a handy mini tool outweigh the fact that if your in a survival situation and lose your leatherman than you don't have it's tools and make things much more difficult?

NevadaCarry
07-23-2007, 01:37 AM
I have had my Leatherman Wave for about 10 years. I will ALWAYS stick with and recommend Leatherman just because of this. I was doing some prying with one of the flat head screwdrivers, probably should have been but anyway, it broke. So I just lived with it being broke until about 2 years ago when I was thinking of buying a new one. Instead I called them and they said to send it in for repair. Within 2 weeks I got "my" Leatherman back. Well when I took a close look they didn't fix it at all. They just sent me a brand new Wave back. I am VERY big on customer service and I must say, that's awesome.

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Leatherman Wave - All you'll ever need The only thing I don't like about it is that there are no scissors on this model - easily cured by buying the Leatherman Mini for your keychain

NevadaCarry
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Leatherman Wave - All you'll ever need The only thing I don't like about it is that there are no scissors on this model - easily cured by buying the Leatherman Mini for your keychain

The WAVE I have has scissors on it. It's a few years old, does their newer model not have them?

Strider
07-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Look on ebay type swiss army knife huge (or something like that). Look for one priced at 100 bucks more or less... it has like over one hundred functions and is a couple of inches across. They are not actual swiss army knives, i think, but a lookalike... they work, though and have tons of accessories... here's a link for one... if its still up-
http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-NEW-SWISSCHAMP-XAVT-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-HUGE_W0QQitemZ110152713054QQihZ001QQcategoryZ48821 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZTGuy
08-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I've been using Leatherman multitools for about 13 years now, when my dad gave me my first one as a gift just prior to entering the Academy. Since then, I've gotten the Wave (love it) and now my every-day-carry- the Charge Titanium. Can't go wrong with any of 'em, IMHO.

Sarge47
08-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Look on ebay type swiss army knife huge (or something like that). Look for one priced at 100 bucks more or less... it has like over one hundred functions and is a couple of inches across. They are not actual swiss army knives, i think, but a lookalike... they work, though and have tons of accessories... here's a link for one... if its still up-
http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORINOX-NEW-SWISSCHAMP-XAVT-SWISS-ARMY-KNIFE-HUGE_W0QQitemZ110152713054QQihZ001QQcategoryZ48821 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Go to www.knifecenter.com. Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and check out Wenger's new "Giant Knife". It's 8 1/2inches across and has enough tools on it to rebuild a buick and cost $1000....BTW, who was that guy that posted he didn't mind shelling out a grand for a knife?:rolleyes: Of course if his hands are big enough to hold that puppy I'm gonna shut up!;)

wareagle69
08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
attn marcraft this is a public service anouncement please do not hike naked in the woods this message brought to you by the wildlife of manitoba

ps i am a moose and i approved this ad

spiritman
08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
attn marcraft this is a public service anouncement please do not hike naked in the woods this message brought to you by the wildlife of manitoba

ps i am a moose and i approved this ad

lol that was random! but I'm a person and I stand behind moose wareagle69 all the way

ryaninmichigan
08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I carry this everywhere I go...

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/ryaninmichigan/?action=view&current=knife.jpg

ATough
08-28-2007, 11:10 PM

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z282/ryaninmichigan/?action=view&current=knife.jpg

in what a back pack? lol:D

scabbyota
08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Leatherman is the best. I own 5 of them and havn't had one fail me yet. Got one worn out from about 15 years of hard use at my job.

Fog_Harbor
08-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Now THAT was funny!

Sarge47
11-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Just picked up the Buck/Whittaker Multi tool. It has only six tools but all can be opened one-handed.

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/563/229

I paid a lot less for mine, though.:cool:

Bladesypher
11-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Rofl, nice ryan, I'm getting a Huntsman S.A.K soon, http://www.swissknifeshop.co.uk/victorinox_huntsman_camouflage.html

Beo
11-21-2007, 12:30 PM
ryaninmichigan that is rediculous lol... why go into the woods with that when you can just take a handy in and have him do it for ya... and what would you need all that crap on there for in the woods.

MCBushbaby
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
All I demand from a multitool is a small saw, can opener, wire cutter, pliers (probably together with wire cutter as is usually the case), and a nice sharp blade for carving.

I rarely have use for all those fancy little gadgets thrown on to MTs... corkscrew, screwdriver, toothpick, etc. I suppose they come in handy around the house but the MT is for the bush!

Tactical Tom
11-24-2007, 12:50 AM
I've packed GERBER multi tools for about 10 yrs now, I'm on my second one , nothing wrong w/ the firs one I sold it to get a new model w/tools that lock open. The Gerber's open very easy w/ the flick of your wrist & have a good warranty & customer service !;) My next choice would be a Leatherman WAVE.

U.S.Marine2111
11-24-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm going to say Leatherman, I have the older version WAVE, it is awesome, I have been carrying it for about 5 or 6 years now. The newer version WAVE however is a little bigger/heavier, with a different blade locking design. I do not like the changable screwdriver bits either, seems easier to lose. If you can find a first Gen WAVE I'd go with that. But that is just a personal preference thing really.

Nativedude
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
In the past I have used Gerber, Leatherman (PST, PST II, Super tool), and Schrade multi-tools. Now I have A Victorinox "Swiss Tool". Love It! Love It! Love It!

While it is true that Leatherman has great customer service, so does Victorinox. They replaced the scissors on my tool for $2.00 S&H.

While I like my Leatherman Super Tool a lot, and I have it as a back up, I prefer carrying my Swiss Tool, especially in the back country! This is JMHO. :)

U.S.Marine2111
11-26-2007, 11:05 PM
In the past I have used Gerber, Leatherman (PST, PST II, Super tool), and Schrade multi-tools. Now I have A Victorinox "Swiss Tool". Love It! Love It! Love It!

While it is true that Leatherman has great customer service, so does Victorinox. They replaced the scissors on my tool for $2.00 S&H.

While I like my Leatherman Super Tool a lot, and I have it as a back up, I prefer carrying my Swiss Tool, especially in the back country! This is JMHO. :)

I have heard absolutly nothing but great things about the Victornox Swiss Tool. On another forum I'm on everyone raves about the thing.

Sarge47
11-26-2007, 11:14 PM

I've had the Victorinox Swiss Multi-tool for years and it's still like new! I really go for that brand in about everything: Sunglasses, watch, knives, even a compass. maybe i should try to get hired on as a salesman for the co., huh?:rolleyes:

woodwose
11-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Ive been savng for a good multi tool for some time now and was wondering if anybody had a suggestion as to which multi tool brand and style I should buy.
thanks

I just got a notice in my email about this... Apparently, Buck is heading for the multi-tool market as well... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2007-11-26-outdoor07-gift-guide_N.htm

However, I have a Leatherman 'Wave' and it comes in really handy.

U.S.Marine2111
11-28-2007, 01:38 AM
I just got a notice in my email about this... Apparently, Buck is heading for the multi-tool market as well... http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2007-11-26-outdoor07-gift-guide_N.htm

However, I have a Leatherman 'Wave' and it comes in really handy.

I'd sit that one out until Buck perfects it, seems like every manufacturer has gone through an evolution. Leatherman with their original design that wasn't exactly comfortable when using the pliers, to the new wave and later models that have rounded edges and blade locks. Then there is Gerber, with the original pliers caused a great deal of pinching at the handles when the pliers rapidly closed to the now refined versions with spring action and not fully closing handles. Might be a nice tool....eventually, but I'm sure there are kinks and refinements to be made, just like in everything new. For me it is a Leatherman, or by all accounts a Swisstool.

spiritman
11-28-2007, 07:37 AM
I have a leatherman and a victorinox camper. And it's not the victorinox I let my buddies use for a bottle opener if they are too drunk to find theirs.

Rifleman
12-08-2007, 05:27 PM
I just bought a Leatherman Wave today. It is by far the nicest multi tool I have ever owned. Execpt for my Leatherman Micra that is always in my pocket.
I'm not too sure about the removeable screwdriver tips, but they do seem to stay in pretty well.

Have any of you tried the Leatherman Pruners?
http://www.leatherman.com/products/tools/vista/default.asp
I want to get the Vista set. I like a good set of pruners, and these also have the other tools included, and they fold up just like a regular Leatherman.
I would have probably bought some today, but I didn't see any at the Academy where I bought the Wave.

Gray Wolf
12-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Rifleman, don't worry about losing the bit. I have had the 2nd gen Wave since it came out and use it quite a bit.... and it never came out. I also have and use daily the H502 and never lost any of the 3 bits. Great choice, you'll never regret it.

toasta
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I carry a knock off (made in china) multi-tool and the things its been through you'd be amazed. The pliers have a bullet stuck on one side and still works, have the frame busted off when i fell down an embankment (didnt see the rock), and the slider pieces are rusted. This has lasted me since i started hunting when i was 6, and i'm 15 now

if your wonder how we got the bullet in it... I still dont know went up to washington over the summer where my grandpa has all my hunting equipment and when i pulled it out it had a bullet in it.

Sarge47
12-11-2007, 12:23 AM
He eats Poison Oak, falls down an embankment, and finds a bullet stuck in his multi-tool; show of hands, how many are NOT going on a trip with toasta?:rolleyes:

Jay
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM

I hope you never fall in the river or a lake with that monster in you pocket.....I'll pray for you!!! (Just kidding)

I'm envious! You don't see that type of stuff in this neck of the woods.

toasta
12-11-2007, 02:04 PM
He eats Poison Oak, falls down an embankment, and finds a bullet stuck in his multi-tool; show of hands, how many are NOT going on a trip with toasta?:rolleyes:

me!:D nah i would so go on a trip with me
i just have to watch out for rocks near embankments/ poison oak/ and get a new multi-tool:) it can't be that bad

josh nesbit
02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
thanks

I would suggest a leatherman i own severel leathermans but i use a gerber

beerrunner13
02-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I got a leatherman Wave first gen in new condition this weekend and I already love it

Wanderer
04-05-2008, 09:52 AM
I have to agree, the Leatherman Wave, is a superior tool. I've had mine for 2 months now, and find it indespensable. I was a big SAK fan for many many years, but find that truthfully the Wave out performs them.
A point in multitools favor is that if you are like me, you don't like to travel with too many things. When in the bush though I still carry a fixed blade knife, small Gerber hatchet, and the Wave.
Alex

hidingpool
04-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Can't claim non-bias, but 10+ years with Gerber, can't complain. Pool

Riverrat
04-14-2008, 06:52 AM
Have a Leatherman and use it almost everyday, and it is over 12 years old. Used to use it when i guided hunting and fishing, and now use it when at work as a medic. Love it, great tool.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
use leathermen but like both leathermen and gerber sog seems nice to

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 11:38 PM
thanks

I have a leatherman supertool. I think had I the choice again I'd get the wave.

Sourdough
04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I got me one O'dm thar Multi-tools....I welded a 1/2 socket driver to the side of the handle on my Estwing Axe.

h8mtv
04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Wave carrier also.

JacobSlattery
04-23-2008, 09:54 AM
leatherman or swiss army. actually prefer leathermans despite not owning one. Ive inherited a few swiss army tools, but tend to misplace them easily.

hidingpool
04-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I got me one O'dm thar Multi-tools....I welded a 1/2 socket driver to the side of the handle on my Estwing Axe.

Add a shovel head and a corkscrew and you have a Swiss army knife. LOL, Pool P.S. pretty cool idea.

dragonjimm
05-31-2008, 02:05 AM
my only problem with leatherman is that they are a little biased in the fact that all their multitools are right handed and i'm not

crashdive123
05-31-2008, 06:46 AM
Hadn't noticed that - but then again I'm right handed. For me -- I use two hands to open them. Once open.....