PDA

View Full Version : Making a knife

Beo
03-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I got a piece of damascus 12inches long 8 inches wide 1/2 inch thick. Gonna try and make a knife with it. I'll show pics as I go but it could take a while, draw the shape on the metal, grind out shape and heat it up to temper it. Actually got a book on knife making so I'll be using that. Gona use cedar on the handles and pin or rivet them on.

crashdive123
03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Cool. Looking forward to the pics.

hillbilly1987
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
oh man that will be kool and i cant wait to see what it looks like! ive always wanted to make one

Rick
03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Beo - You might consider using Chicago Screws for the handle. I use them on the stuff I make. If you pin or rivet the handles on then you have a problem if the handle is damaged. If you use Chicago Screws then changing a handle is a snap. They come in a jillion different sizes and colors so you should be able to find exactly what you want. And since it's a screw, you don't have to be exact on the length. Here is a link to a pic of them in case you aren't familiar with them.

http://www.screwpost.com/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=2633990c0aef01ed934c711226ec97d2

hillbilly1987
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Beo - You might consider using Chicago Screws for the handle. I use them on the stuff I make. If you pin or rivet the handles on then you have a problem if the handle is damaged. If you use Chicago Screws then changing a handle is a snap. They come in a jillion different sizes and colors so you should be able to find exactly what you want. And since it's a screw, you don't have to be exact on the length. Here is a link to a pic of them in case you aren't familiar with them.

http://www.screwpost.com/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=2633990c0aef01ed934c711226ec97d2

oh ive seen thoes screws befor but i canrt seem to remember how to use them thoe for making a knife and maybe sombody can help me please?

canid
03-05-2008, 11:04 PM
i would recommend cutting out a blank then hot forging the blank to thin and extrude it's length, unless you want either a very thick blade, or a whole lot of time invested in grinding.

The Crow
03-05-2008, 11:09 PM
sweet can't wait to se em

GVan
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Good luck with your knife. I too am interested in your pictures,

flandersander
03-06-2008, 12:40 AM
What kind of knife would you be making with half inch steel? a viking Battle axe? Seriously you've got alot of grinding ahead of you. Or try what Canid said thats a good really good idea. great [post

Beo
03-06-2008, 09:32 AM
I got an old oven I use as a forge, gonna thin the metal down by heating and cutting, full tang and wood handles. On the back side is hole where a brass tube goes in and I hook a small hair dryer and on low to keep the fire hot.

Beo
03-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Here's how I'm going to do it.

Stock Removal - With this method I will start with a piece of steel, and try to get it precision ground. Th blade pattern is transferred to the piece of steel. This is done by spraying the steel with layout fluid, placing a template in the shape of the blade on the piece of steel, and scribing a line around the template. The blade is then cut or ground to the layout lines. Once cut, the blade shape is then refined on a grinder. The process of creating the outlined shape of the blade is referred to as profiling. Once profiled the blade bevels are ground (or sometimes filed). When a I uses this method I often refer to a stock remover, or say that I use the stock removal method.
Forging - With this method I take a piece of steel, heats it in a forge to a point in which the steel becomes malleable. The hot steel is placed on an anvil and shaped with a hammer. The goal with this method is to achieve 90 percent completion of the blade at the anvil. This means that the profiling and creation of the blade bevels are done with the hammer. When a knife maker has the skill to do this, a grinder is used primarily to refine and cleanup the blade.
This is an over simplification of how knives are made, but the intention here is just to get the idea across.

canid
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
nice to hear . i figured you where enough of a do-it-your-selfer to make it interesting. hope you'll show us the progress, or at least the results.

which book do you have? i got a copy of [i]Step By Step Knifemaking by Davie Boye a couple years ago for christmas but it seems to be worded for the benefit of those who don't get things quickly, and consequently, is mostly limited to basics, with a few extras like etching, etc.

flandersander
03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
never tried knife making myself but I have a friend that makes all kinds of knives. he is retired and sells them for a hobby. well his hobby is making them selling them is a bonus. and you can bet he never really has any on hand because they sell rediciously fast.

canid
03-07-2008, 12:35 AM
lol; i was gonna say: selling them for a hobby is called a job ;)

dilligaf2u2
03-07-2008, 01:13 PM
When you get done with that one, you can start on mine! Remember:I like a knife that is no more then 6" of blade.

Good luck with that.

Don

Beo
03-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Got the metal blank done this weekend, cut the thickness in half (saving for anorhter knife) and trimmed the thickness down again. Heated up the tang and drilled the holes. Working on the wood handles now. Post a pic later of the process so far, I got that cool Damascas pattern going so far. Next gotta temper, polish the blade, attach handles, sharpen the edges.
Don, the blade edge is 8 inch clip point.

hillbilly1987
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Got the metal blank done this weekend, cut the thickness in half (saving for anorhter knife) and trimmed the thickness down again. Heated up the tang and drilled the holes. Working on the wood handles now. Post a pic later of the process so far, I got that cool Damascas pattern going so far. Next gotta temper, polish the blade, attach handles, sharpen the edges.
Don, the blade edge is 8 inch clip point.

hey bud just wonderin if you have been able to get that knife done or get somewhere with it or got any pictures just wonderin becouse i cant wait to see it

marberry
03-15-2008, 10:34 PM
damascus is beautifull.... i only know how to make cheep knives out of spring steel with a grinder and a file though lol.

Beo
03-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Okay got the shape and working on the handles, knife is full tang but damn this is hard and alot more work than I thought, working this metal is not easy and I still got a ways to go. Think I'll buy my next knife.

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 09:04 AM
But you'll appreciate this one waaaaay more than the one you buy.

canid
03-17-2008, 09:09 AM
but now you know why custom knifemakers want so darn much money for them.