PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Dual fuel lantern need help

Traina26
08-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Hi guys I recently found an older colman dual fuel two mantel lantern in my basement from the 90's I've never used a gas lantern before so this might sound stupid but when I lit it today I noticed that one mantel was burning significantly brighter then the other. Whats causing this? Is it because the lantern's internals are a little clogged or do you think I might have to replace the mantels or something? Sorry if this is a stupid question I've never used a gas lantern before and don't know how they work and I wanna take it on my camping trip this weekend. Thanks

Rick
08-14-2012, 06:00 PM
It's not a stupid question at all. The long tube that comes up from that tank is called the burner assembly. It has a round chamber at the top and two tubes point down out of the chamber and one mantle connects to each down tube. Spiders just love to crawl inside those things and build webs. They will either completely block or partially block one or both down tubes of the burner assembly. Just take a piece of flexible wire and run up inside the tube and spin it around and pull it back out. If web comes out, congratulations, you've probably fixed it. If no web comes out then it may be up in the chamber and partially blocking the one tube. It's also possible that a mud dauber has built inside of it. The burner assembly is pretty easy to remove and re-install.

Here's a diagram for you. There are some minute differences between models but the basic components are the same. The burner assembly is held on by a nut and clip. Loosen the nut, slide out the clip and the burner assembly comes right out. Items 11 is a heat shield. Yours may or may not have one.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/lanterndiagram.jpg

You may also have a slight tear in one mantle. They can be hard to see. If you have some spare mantles, I'd remove the old ones, run the wire up in the down tubes, then replace the mantles and fire it up. You can get replacement mantles at Wally World. By 3 or 4 two packs. You'll probably touch one before you get it back together and have to replace it.

Graf
08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
I actually prefer the liquid fuel lanterns like this over the propane. I picked up a dual fuel double mantle this year. Sounds like Rick has steared you in the right direction, best of luck. One other thing to check is being that its dual fuel, if the fuel area smells NASTY someone has let gasoline sit and turn bad which will block off the orfices use a pipe cleaner and air nozzle to clean them. If you ever do use gasoline and then plan on letting it sit for a prolonged time period dump the gasoline out refill with Coleman fuel light and let burn to get the Coleman fuel through the system.

Jimmyq
08-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I found my 20 + year old Coleman white gas single mantle lantern a few weeks ago in a box. I pulled it out, looked at it then remember how much of a PITA the mantle's always seemed to be, and the fact that I don't have a drop of white gas anywhere. I put it back. I have a couple dynamo chargeable led lanterns these days, they work just nicely. Now that I have also discovered my 20+ year old Coleman Peak1 pack stove (white gas also) maybe I should buy a couple gallons of it. That would give me stoves capable of burning alcohol, white gas, propane and isobutane, in addition to the wood, firegel trioxane and esbit cubes. I like to be diverse lol.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I found my 20 + year old Coleman white gas single mantle lantern a few weeks ago in a box. I pulled it out, looked at it then remember how much of a PITA the mantle's always seemed to be, and the fact that I don't have a drop of white gas anywhere. I put it back. I have a couple dynamo chargeable led lanterns these days, they work just nicely. Now that I have also discovered my 20+ year old Coleman Peak1 pack stove (white gas also) maybe I should buy a couple gallons of it. That would give me stoves capable of burning alcohol, white gas, propane and isobutane, in addition to the wood, firegel trioxane and esbit cubes. I like to be diverse lol.

Or, place them in classified section here...they'll sell like hot cakes! or....twinkies!

Wingman
08-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Most times the jet get's clogged if you take it apart and run a pipe cleaner through it that may do the trick.

Rick
08-14-2012, 10:14 PM
All Coleman lanterns and stoves are "dual" fuel. White gas is nothing more than Naptha, which is gasoline that has been further refined. You can think of it as gasoline with no additives. The difference is using gasoline in a lantern or stove "designed" for white gas the additives in the gasoline might clog the generator in the stove. Many of the lanterns have a needle valve that is used to clean the generator. It's the light crank handle on the side. It just moves the needle valve up and down through the gas tip to clean out any residue that might have built up.

Traina26
08-15-2012, 12:24 AM
Thanks guys I went to walmart and got 2 packets of mantels some white gas and one of those little lantern flints. I replaced the mantels and pumped it up and that must have been the problem its now really bright and equal on each side there is like a little mesh blocking the down tubes so i don't think any spiders will be getting in there anytime soon.. Now if i could only find that darn carry case....