PDA

View Full Version : Preparedness Camping How Secure Is Your Campsite. Video

Wingman
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
In this video I discuss camp security and the dangers that are out in the wild and in campgrounds. I welcome you thoughts on the subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJL2JpqkBU

Sourdough
08-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I sure wish I could watch, but dial-up is slow.

Wingman
08-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I sure wish I could watch, but dial-up is slow.

Sorry Sourdough. I wish I was up in Alaska with you and the slowwwwww dial up. I could use a little down time right now. Going solo camping next week and working on the skills. I have a few video's lined up to film while I'm out there.

finallyME
08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
One reason why I don't like camping in set up spots. I prefer to go out and camp where no one else is. One thing I have found with backpacking is that the farther you walk, the less people you will find. People out to do no good are looking for victims. It is easier to find victims in high density areas. Anyways great primer. I would say that you should never underestimate the power of a dog earlier warning system. It takes a well trained dog to provide physical protection, but any dog can be an alarm.

natertot
08-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Good vid Wingman. FinallyME, I like your thoughts on a K-9 as well.

I knew a guy that would attach bells onto the zipper pulls on the inside of his tent. If anyone would start to pull the zipper, the bells would ring and draw attention. The real funny thing is that he slept in the back of his SUV (he had a S-10 Blazer) most of the time!

Camp security is tough, especially when governing agencies have laws that make you an easier victim. I too try to CCW as much as possible. The thing that kinda stinks is that there are some decent parks that are either owned or managed by the ACE so the CCW is not recognized. With that said, knives, pepper spray, etc is always nice to have around. Even if the bad guy has a gun, it may malfunction or he may be to stupid to know how to use. Either case, it is nice to have something available.

hunter63
08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Good thoughts, good vid.........
Work on the "you know's".....You know?

Wingman
08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Good thoughts, good vid.........
Work on the "you know's".....You know?

Thanks I will.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Interesting topic. Just had a long talk with Dad. He has been accross this great land more than anyone I know. I camp anywhere I choose in a national forrest. As a child Dad just parked the '72 Chevy under whatever tree he could get to with the truck. I was under the assumption, that had changed and there were now laws against that. Dad, says nope, he still does and all across the US. He just took my daughter for a ride through most of all of the US. He said they tried to pass a law to stop it but to no avail. Now I've been told different here. But as for me and Dad we'll keep doin' what we are doing! Find us if you can. If anyone can show me a law that prohibits this practice, I'd like to see it.

Rick
08-14-2012, 10:24 PM
There is actually a law in Wiscons 86.025 - One may not camp in a wagon on any public highway or risk a fine of up to ten dollars.

86.025 Camping on highways. It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to camp in wagons, tent or otherwise on the public highways or lands adjacent thereto, after a notice to remove therefrom by the owners of such adjacent lands, or the owner of land abutting on the highway, or by a member of the board of supervisors or any trustee of any town or village where such camping place is made. Any person or persons violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be fined not exceeding $10, or imprisoned in the county jail not exceeding 30 days, or both.

So swing south when you're heading north unless you want to go west.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
There is actually a law in Wiscons 86.025 - One may not camp in a wagon on any public highway or risk a fine of up to ten dollars.

86.025 Camping on highways. It shall be unlawful for any person or persons to camp in wagons, tent or otherwise on the public highways or lands adjacent thereto, after a notice to remove therefrom by the owners of such adjacent lands, or the owner of land abutting on the highway, or by a member of the board of supervisors or any trustee of any town or village where such camping place is made. Any person or persons violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof shall be fined not exceeding $10, or imprisoned in the county jail not exceeding 30 days, or both.

So swing south when you're heading north unless you want to go west.

Well yeah OK in Wisconsin....Seriously is there a law that says I can't pull my '84 camper special w/ a cabover camper down the dirt roads of our national forrests and camp without a campground?

crashdive123
08-14-2012, 10:37 PM
You can generally camp anywhere on National Forests unless the area is posted otherwise. If you need your vehicle to camp, there may be some restrictions on where you can go. You may not drive or camp where you will cause resource damage, such as making vehicle ruts off roadways or damaging trees or streams. We recommend that you camp at least 150 feet from all lakes and streams. The distance you may pull your vehicle off an established roadway will vary, depending on the travel management policies of each forest. Generally, you may not drive more than 300 feet off a roadway to park, but this distance may be less in some areas. Please contact the local office near where you want to go.
If you want to build a campfire, please check to see if any restrictions or fire bans are in effect. You may collect incidental amounts of dead and downed wood (sticks) to burn without a permit, but you may not transport any wood off the forest without a permit. Do not leave a campfire unattended. Make sure your fire is out COLD before you leave.
You may not drive nails into trees or damage live trees in any way.

Source: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/r2/about-region/contactus/?cid=stelprdb5189975&width=full

Rick
08-14-2012, 10:38 PM
CS - Every park (national, state and local) will have their own rules regarding camping. I've seen a lot that require camping in designated camping locations only. I've seen some that allow wilderness camping anywhere you want. You'll just have to research that particular park. If you are illegal you'll probably get a tap on the glass and tell you to move along. Since many are fee based camping parks they want to be able to count heads and make sure you've paid.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks Crash and Rick,

You basically confirmed what Dad was saying. Dad doesn't do change very well, if he could do it then he can do it now. I think he thinks he was Grandfathered in.

hunter63
08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
There are a lot of different rules, in different places.....but mostly, I think they are there in case the is a real problem.

Several public forests in Wisconsin have guys that camp during deer season, and are mostly left alone....unless there is a problem.

Paper company land use to allow "camping", but no fires or cut trees......land has changed hands a couple of times, so don't know about lately.

Mostly if you don't burn the place down...(big deal, most everywhere), keep to your self and keep moving, you shouldn't have a problem.

The tap on the window, is your signal, that it's time to move on.

Of course the "rules" re being enforced more and more it seems....used to be only if there was a problem.