PDA

View Full Version : Bladesmith Test

Ted
08-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I've been reading up on bladesmithing for awhile now and was wondering if anybody here has ever owned or made a knife that would past the Journymens Bladesmith Test for holding an edge.

It must cut clean though a free hanging 1" rope in 2 strokes or less, twice. Then chop a pine 2x4 in half, twice, and still shave the hair off your arm! Now thats a knife!

Well I traded the gut hook skinner with the walnut scales I posted in me WIP thread to a guy for 20 plus Nicholson files. 6 of them are over a foot long. Sooooo, I'm goin to give it a try.

If anybody has had such a knife , store bought or made yourself I would love to know the brand you bought or the steel you used to make it. Not to mention quenchent, temper temp, ect.

Come to think of it, how do you makers test your blades. I get mine shaving sharp then chop, wittle and basicly abuse it on a 2" pine dowel rod, and then check to see if the edge rolled or chipped. I must be doing something right because they never do. But it certainly won't shave without hitting the ol' wet stone a few times.

canid
08-12-2012, 01:01 PM
20 used files for one finished blade, that's not a bad deal. I'm working on a file blade at the moment too. I'll make sure to normalize it a couple times and we'll see how well it holds up.

canid
08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
As far as steel choices go, I think O1 sounds like a good candidate, and probably D2. It seems like what you want to shoot for is the best possible grain condition in a tough steel with good hardening properties and a fair amount of temper, such that it'll still have plenty of wear resistence when it's tempered back enough to survive the bend. the biggest enemy on that last note seems like it would be grain growth, while the biggest enemy on the previous would be losing edge durability.

Then, an effective geometry such that the edge won't deform in chopping, which is easy enough to achieve once the other caveats are addressed. I've been thinking of this myself. Most of what's been holding me back is money. Especially for travel when it comes time to test, but even ponying up for 3 years of dues to apprentice hasn't been an expense I could justify lately. At least I'll be a better smith by the time that I can.

Ted
08-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey Canid! How you been man! Great I hope!

Checked out your armory cool, cool stuff, Love the bows! I tried and failed a few times at it some 20 years ago.

I'm not taking the test, I just want to make a knife that would hold an edge that well. I have no intention of bending any knife I make at a 90 degree angle to check for a soft spine and hard edge. Thats just crazy talk, if you ask me...lol Guess I'll never be a master bladesmith.

O1 does seem to be one of the best knife steels from what I've read. It's what I intend on using for all my knives once I start buying steel. I have read very conflicing storys on it though. Some say it's very forging , others say it's not at all. Guess it's just one of those get some and try it for meself thingys.

Thanks for your input! Have a good one bro!

canid
08-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Thank you. I will, and you do the same.

kyratshooter
08-12-2012, 08:54 PM
I do not make blades with enough mass to pass that test and never have thought it was a valid measure of knowledge or craftsmanship. When the guild was started that very test caused a rift in the ranks becuase it required a knife of specific size to accomplih that task, basically forcing everyone to submit a bowie or fancy machette as their masterpiece.

If you wish to submit a finely made bushcraft knife with a 1/8" thick x 3" blade you have zero chance of making the grade.

canid
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
The test is only part of the ABS ratings, in addition to the test-piece craftsmanship judging. Even the rating is only part of the ABS as a whole. It's also something of a community. Sure, you don't need either in order to be a good smith, but then that is not what it's for. On one face it's only a seal, and on the other it's just a community.

Just remember, just because you like to make blades to one or other standard or style, it does not follow that it should hurt to demonstrate that you can make another.

Dwane Oliver
08-12-2012, 10:22 PM
95% of the blades used for the performance test are made from 5160. IDK why , but why challenge the norm I say.
My performance blade will be made from 5160.
Its not nessecarily the steel you use , I think any high carbon steel would pass the test .....if properly heat treated.
I dont totally agree with all of their thoughts, but I wana be a part of it.

canid
08-13-2012, 12:08 AM
but why challenge the norm I say.

that is good advice.

Ted
08-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Its not nessecarily the steel you use , I think any high carbon steel would pass the test .....if properly heat treated.

I agree. Thats why I'm going to play with these files to see if I can get one to hold an edge that well.