PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Sawdust Toilet

Rick
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
If you are putting things back in case the SHTF (no pun intended) then you might be interested in this emergency toilet:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/2008-02-01/Make-a-Sawdust-Toilet.aspx

crashdive123
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
High tech litter box......meowwwwww!

dilligaf2u2
03-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Just what I need 400 lbs of saw dust, in bags, in the shed.

Well it sounds like it would work for keeping the smell down.

It is something to think about.

Don

wildWoman
03-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Not sure that's particularly useful if you can't use the compost in the garden - where else would you use compost??
Plain old outhouse seems the better option. If you don't throw the toilet paper in, it stinks way less and the hole lasts forever and a day. We use an old coffee can as a toilet paper incinerator, also gives a pleasant campfire atmosphere to the whole thing while you're sitting on the throne.

Beo
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Just crap in the river:D

wildWoman
03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
That's more or less what they do in Dawson City. Poor people downstream! I'd prefer my water turdless...

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky................fiber is good for you.:eek:

We are talking Moose Nuggets:p

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
I was joking, partically. In the Army we were taught to bury it, if buy a stream or river go in the river (pooping) and then turn the bottom over and bury it there as to leave no sign. Problem I had is the soil on the river, creek, or stream bed is always shifting and moving so wouldn't it wash up to the surface or down stream.

trax
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Picky, picky, picky, picky, picky................fiber is good for you.:eek:

We are talking Moose nugets:p

OK hopeak, this could officially be the sickest posting ever, I don't want to check back, but for now I'd venture that you're the record holder.

nell67
03-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Totally disgusting:eek:

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Thank you, everyone should excel at something.

Rick
03-05-2008, 06:07 PM
If you live in an urban environment, wilderness homesteading living with the animals and own an outhouse folks. This might be your only viable option.

Can I get some mustard for my Moose Nuggets?

nell67
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
McMoose nuggets??? yuk

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Now that was gross Rick... Moose Nuggets.

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I get my water out of a creek and a lot of animals live up stream, as long as there are no beavers up stream I drink it untreated.

trax
03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Can I get some mustard for my Moose Nuggets?

It's official, I'm convinced, you and hillbilly are family aren't you? That's why he's so proud of being just like you.

That toilet might be ok, but if you own a cat you might wanna just check over your shoulder before backing in, LOL.

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:13 PM
McMoose nuggets??? yuk

It is just chewed up leaves and bark, ain't going to hurt you and might help.;)

trax
I get my water out of a creek and a lot of animals live up stream, as long as there are no beavers up stream I drink it untreated.

What's your concern with the beavers? I mean with all the other critters, come on now....lookin' for evidence of an old legend here...

Beo
Domestic cats are disgusting useless creatures.

trax
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM

well yeah, but you know..it smells and tastes like sh*t...:D

Rick
03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
You mean it's perfectly okay for someone to post something like, "In order to survive in the wild eating the stomach contents of an animal is the most nutritious.....blah, choke. That's not gross?

trax

I rather like cats, simmered slowly in butter with sprinkles of pepper and garlic.

nell67

Well,if you need the fiber that bad,you have seemed a little cranky lately:eek:

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
O.K. computer research wizards, look and see at your home town utility water system, what is the allowable fecal parts per million allowable?

trax
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Au Contraire, Richie Rich...that's gross too, also, as well...there can be more than one gross posting...now we have several.

(You guys notice how I have to explain things to this guy, kind of like someone we all know with the initials h.b.? Family, I'm tellin' ya, twins separated at birth)

Rick
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Should I keep count of the references?

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
What's your concern with the beavers? I mean with all the other critters, come on now....lookin' for evidence of an old legend here...

I like hemlock and spruce fiber, and the beavers will chew them off for construction, but will not eat them.:p

trax
03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Should I keep count of the references?

Can you? 5 6 7 8

Rick
03-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I've got 3 written down. Just wondered if I had a need to keep track.

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
"home town water system, what is the allowable fecal parts per million allowable?"
I'd rather not know.

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Cats crap in a litter box and then walk around in it, jump on the table & counter tops, sit in the owners laps, and other gross stuff. Then are no good at home protection. They are nasty and should be shot and sold to the nearest Chinese diner.

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Now that was gross Rick... Moose Nuggets.

Did you know that they make Moose Nugget earrings and sell them to the tourist:p

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
In fact look up moose nugget jewlery......;)

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Don't mean ya gotta buy it, ever notive how dumdazz americans buy the dumbest stuff, like pet rocks.

trax
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I've seen those before. Hey, if someone's willing to pay for them, go ahead and sell them. People all over the world bought pet rocks. ( I never bought one, mine followed me home one day)

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't mean ya gotta buy it, ever notive how dumdazz americans buy the dumbest stuff, like pet rocks.

I married two of them.........:p

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
See what I mean. I think one should try to make an honest living, selling junk like pet rocks is not an honest living.

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
that is an honest living.

Sourdough
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I with'drew the question

Beo
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Oh i was only talking about the Pet Rock seller not you marrying two women, but actually that's not bad if someone will buy it then I guess go ahead and make the buck, i've sold things I thought were useless. And a Prist once asked me if I had gone to confession, I said: Father I am a police officer, what do I have to confess:D

wildWoman
03-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Moose nuggets are a favourite food of my dogs, but just if they're frozen. However, if consumed in vast quantites, they cause the dog to get very thirsty and bloat up with gas, which then negatively impacts the air quality in the cabin.
Which leads me to a question about bear safety: what's the point of hanging your food and all smelly articles if eating your soupmix or dried fruit ends up making the tent so stinky at night that even a bear with severe sinus problems can smell it 5 miles against the wind??? I've never seen this talked about in any of those handy bear safety pamphlets!

nell67
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Well,since they dont smell like food,I would hope they would actually be a deterrent to bears rather than attract them to your tent,I have never been in bear country though.so I cant say thats really true.

Beo
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
New Bear Repellant, Dog Farts:D

nell67
03-05-2008, 07:17 PM
The things we talk about on here,I swear!!!!! first,it's poo,and now it's rumbling!

crashdive123
03-05-2008, 07:46 PM
This is the first thread I checked after work. Let's see ...... saw dust toilets ...... T.P. lanterns in the outhouse ....... moose nuggets ........ dog eating moose nuggets and passing gas ..... passing gas to ward off bears. Gonna be a good night! http://www.smileyhut.com/animals/animal23.gif (http://www.smileyhut.com)

Tony uk
03-05-2008, 07:47 PM
The things we talk about on here,I swear!!!!! first,it's poo,and now it's rumbling!

And haggis.......................

farquhar
03-09-2008, 01:57 AM
here's a response from the feline that presently graces me w/ her presence (when she's not killing lizards or hitting up the neighbors for food)

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well." -- Missy Dizick

crashdive123
03-09-2008, 01:59 AM
Too funny. Ya gotta understand.....Beo's not really a cat person.:D:eek::D

Assassin Pilot
03-09-2008, 11:12 AM
this is basically a mini outhouse, only inside a house

Rick
03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
I have to admit, I never thought an outhouse thread would make 52 posts but there you go folks. Proof that wilderness people are easily entertained.

wildWoman
03-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I have to admit, I never thought an outhouse thread would make 52 posts but there you go folks. Proof that wilderness people are easily entertained.

Works both ways, Rick :) I only spend about 2-3 weeks of the year among people and find it really eye-opening what's bothering the rest of my species :D But I fear this foum fearures a somewhat skewed representation.

Assassin Pilot
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
oh it does. If you wanna know what really troubles them look at yahoo.com for some interesting news. stuff like "jessica simpson has 13th baby" would get bigger headlines than "atom bomb dropped on capital cities today"......

Rick
03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Do you suppose bears sit around somewhere and discuss "us" the same way.

Bear 1: "The most illogical specie on the planet."
Bear 2: "Tell me about it. Last week I saw this boar lock himself out of that big metal thing."
Bear 1: "Man"
Bear 2: "What?"
Bear 1: "It's called a man."
Bear 2: "What, the big metal thing?"
Bear 1 shaking his head: "No. The boar is called a man. The big metal thing is called a truck or something like that. Hand me another salmon."
Bear 2: "Sure. Here. It's called man? What a stupid name. Fits 'em though."

wildWoman
03-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Oh I'm sure they discuss us.
Couple years ago, I woke up early cause I had to go pee, so I sleepily made my way out the cabin and just squatted down to go pee. It was dusk, and when I opened my eyes a bit more there was this big dark lump on the trail that had never been there before. Turned out to be a black bear, having his soapberry breakfast. He stared at me in slack-jawed amazement, then jumped back a few yards, while I still sat there. The bear came back to have another look, sort of scratching his head "well it stinks like a human but doesn't behave like one, what the heck...?" Then when I got up, he jumped back again, stared some more and when I walked back to the cabin he bounded off into the bush, more or less shaking his head all the way at the unfathomable way of humans: coming out to go pee next to him, while he's having breakfast! What next..?

nell67
03-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh I'm sure they discuss us.
Couple years ago, I woke up early cause I had to go pee, so I sleepily made my way out the cabin and just squatted down to go pee. It was dusk, and when I opened my eyes a bit more there was this big dark lump on the trail that had never been there before. Turned out to be a black bear, having his soapberry breakfast. He stared at me in slack-jawed amazement, then jumped back a few yards, while I still sat there. The bear came back to have another look, sort of scratching his head "well it stinks like a human but doesn't behave like one, what the heck...?" Then when I got up, he jumped back again, stared some more and when I walked back to the cabin he bounded off into the bush, more or less shaking his head all the way at the unfathomable way of humans: coming out to go pee next to him, while he's having breakfast! What next..?

Bet that was a kodiak (I know,you said black bear) moment!!!!!!!LMAO!

Rick
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh, I get it. I sort of had a mental picture of what you meant.

crashdive123
03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I think we all may have a look of disbelief on our faces if we looked up and a black bear was using our dining room as a bathroom.:eek::eek:

Beo
03-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Unless theres gravy involved.:eek:
Only problem is the nasty little things have stringy meat, but yeah the gravy hides that. Real good in Chili though:D

Assassin Pilot
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm going to pretend that me and Beo started writing these posts at the same time so I won't have to comment on that ^

yeah.... outhouses...... fun stuff there.....