PDA

View Full Version : small chainsaw

randyt
08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
The recent two cycle thread got me to pondering about a small tiny chainsaw. I haven't owned a small chainsaw and don't know how small they go and if they are even practical. Any thoughts on a small portable chainsaw? If memory serves AS was using a cordless battery operated saw. Not a bad option but a smal gas saw with some of the pre mix may be a better option.

Wildthang
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I have a small Poulan, and only gave about a hundered bucks for it brand new. It works great on anything less than around 8" diameter. I use it for cutting small limbs and trees instead of firing up my monster Stihl. It is a little finicky to start, but when it gets going, it runs great! I would hate to think of cutting wood without a chansaw!
I have seen some of the Poulans with a 12" bar which is a very small saw, but I really donr know if they still make them!

hunter63
08-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I carry a Ryobi 18 v, just looked at it 10" battery saw in the truck, a 250 watt inverter and charger on board as well.....works pretty good to get you thru the woods....not for serious sawing.
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/outdoor_products/chainsaws/P542

Also a couple of Remington brand electric 110v saws....One is on a pole to trim branched, run from gen set, and the other is the same saw, but no pole, for trimming fire wood, was on sale at our Menards for $20 bucks....couldn't pass it up, saves taking the saw off the pole for a quick trim job.

Older truck have a rear power source, runs a 12volt cooler, or the inverter/charger.

Used this set up on the service truck from cigarette lighter socket, to keep Milwaukee power tools charged up.
New truck doeen't have a rear socket yet......

Used to carry a 14" gas saw, in truck.... but that's now in the trailer I drag most places.

oldtrap59
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I carry an older 12" Mac gas powered saw in the truck. Not meant for any heavy work but will get ya by in a pinch. I think I saw a 12" poulan at TSC the other day. I think most makers bottom out at 14" now.

OT

crashdive123
08-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I have the need to use a pole chainsaw for work from time to time. For the use it gets I couldn't see investing in a gas model (may re-think that at some point). I picked up a Remington pole saw with an electric saw that has an 8" bar. I picked up a second one years later, as the fiberglass pole was crushed on the first. I was able to repair it, but can no longer retract it. I currently have it removed from the pole and use it for smaller cutting jobs. It's quite handy.