PDA

View Full Version : Provide Feedback on my Bug Out Bag V2

08-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Since posting the V1 of my BOB (find it here (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?19897-Provide-Feedback-on-my-Bug-Out-Bag-V1)), I have had a lot of incredibly helpful and somewhat humorous responses, and this is my reconsidered list - some items have been added, whilst some "luxuries" and unnecessary items have been removed. I would really appreciate some feedback and criticism on my choice of kit.

Background information: the scenario is that I'm travelling on foot, carrying all of the following kit in my bergen, through extensive woodlands in the South of England for several months with no specific destination (and I'm not hiding from anyone/anything). It's just about sustaining my own life for a period of time with only the items on my back.

- BIVOUC BAG
- BOOTS
- CLOTHING
- COMPASS
- COTTON CLOTH
- DUCT TAPE
- FISHING KIT
- FLANNEL (12"X12")
- FLINT AND STEEL
- FOLDING BLADE
- FOLDING SAW
- FOLDING SHOVEL
- GROUND PAD
- HATCHET
- HEAVY DUTY ZIPLOCK BAGS
- MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTER
- MAP
- MEDICAL KIT
- MONOCULAR
- MULTI-TOOL
- PARACHUTE CORD
- SAFETY PINS
- SEWING KIT
- SHARPENING STONE
- SLEEPING BAG
- SLEEPING BAG LINER
- SNARE WIRE
- SOAP
- STEEL CUP AND STOVE
- STEEL MIRROR
- SURVIVAL GUIDE
- SURVIVAL KNIFE
- TARPAULIN
- TOOTHBRUSH
- TOOTHPASTE
- WATER BAGS
- WATER CANTEEN
- WATERPROOF JACKET
- WATERPROOF PONCHO
- WATERPROOF TROUSERS
- WIND-UP TORCH

I have deliberately left out food from this list, as the aim is that I will take an amount of food [currently undecided] with me, however this will not sustain me over the entire course of the expedition, and therefore I will begin to live off of the land and eventually become entirely independent and self-sustained.

As previously stated, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and criticism on my choice of items. Thanks!

Sarge47
08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Since posting the V1 of my BOB (find it here (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?19897-Provide-Feedback-on-my-Bug-Out-Bag-V1)), I have had a lot of incredibly helpful and somewhat humorous responses, and this is my reconsidered list - some items have been added, whilst some "luxuries" and unnecessary have been removed. I would really appreciate some feedback and criticism on my choice of kit.

Background information: the scenario is that I'm travelling on foot, carrying all of the following kit in my bergen, through extensive woodlands in the South of England for several months with no specific destination (and I'm not hiding from anyone/anything). It's just about sustaining my own life for a period of time with only the items on my back.

- BIVOUC BAG
- BOOTS
- CLOTHING
- COMPASS
- COTTON CLOTH
- DUCT TAPE
- FISHING KIT
- FLANNEL (12"X12")
- FLINT AND STEEL
- FOLDING BLADE
- FOLDING SAW
- FOLDING SHOVEL
- GROUND PAD
- HATCHET
- HEAVY DUTY ZIPLOCK BAGS
- MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTER
- MAP
- MEDICAL KIT
- MONOCULAR
- MULTI-TOOL
- PARACHUTE CORD
- SAFETY PINS
- SEWING KIT
- SHARPENING STONE
- SLEEPING BAG
- SLEEPING BAG LINER
- SNARE WIRE
- SOAP
- STEEL CUP AND STOVE
- STEEL MIRROR
- SURVIVAL GUIDE
- SURVIVAL KNIFE
- TARPAULIN
- TOOTHBRUSH
- TOOTHPASTE
- WATER BAGS
- WATER CANTEEN
- WATERPROOF JACKET
- WATERPROOF PONCHO
- WATERPROOF TROUSERS
- WIND-UP TORCH

I have deliberately left out food from this list, as the aim is that I will take an amount of food [currently undecided] with me, however this will not sustain me over the entire course of the expedition, and therefore I will begin to live off of the land and eventually become entirely independent and self-sustained.

As previously stated, I would greatly appreciate any feedback and criticism on my choice of items. Thanks!
You claim to be in England and STILL no tea? I don't believe it! :innocent:

On the serious side I'd look into a head-lamp as opposed to a wind-up light source. But that's just me. Anything that you have to continually expand energy on is not as good as something you have batteries for and is ready to go! :cool2:

Rick
08-05-2012, 08:03 PM
The reason you couldn't see your post was it went to moderation. If you have less than 10 posts and insert a link in a post it will go to moderation for review by a mod. It's one of the ways we keep a handle on spam. Once you get 10 posts you won't have to worry about it.

Don't worry about the choices. You won't become totally independent. You are going to get very hungry, though. Why don't you calculate how much all that stuff weighs and put an equivalent amount of weight in your bag and cart it around the house. You're going to be surprised how much that weighs.

Have you spent much time outdoors hiking or backpacking?

crashdive123
08-05-2012, 08:50 PM
You will truly never know if your bug out bag is sufficient until you test it. Load it up, and take of for a few days. You will quickly find out what is useless and what is lacking.

wtrfwlr
08-05-2012, 09:04 PM
That is a much improved list! And good for you. I still think you might want to consider some sort of water purification, a filter or tablets? Just something to provide yourself with safe drinking water. Boiling is great but it is not always possible, convenient. I would also suggest more than one way to make fire. The magnesium is fine but it is wise to have other methods as well. Nothing at all wrong with carrying a lighter and a fresnel lens like this one below is also a great alternative.

http://www.bestglide.com/fresnel_lens_firestarter.html

intothenew
08-05-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm going to add pounds, the monetary pound, in plural.

Answer some, or hopefully all, of the questions generated from v1.

Winnie
08-06-2012, 04:07 AM
If you're going to be marching around the New Forest, please, please please add a Tick tool. Lymes Disease is prevalent.
I'd also add a method of water purification. If you have Iodine in your FAK you can also use it for water purification. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Purify-Water-Using-Iodine-Tincture/

Do you need a second pair of Boots?
If your boots are leather, put in some Dubbin.

When you say water bag do you mean a water carrier or a Millbank bag?

You could probably get a nice compact, lightweight(under 2kgs) tent for the price of your Bivvy bag and Tarp. Might be worth checking out.

As has been said, work out the weight, fill up a rucksack and take it for a walk. And test stuff out in the garden.

Ad a few emergency blankets, they're very useful.

Having based your list on army pack contents, don'tforget they make do with what they are given. You have the luxury of swapping out better quality stuff more fit for purpose.

08-06-2012, 04:44 AM
You claim to be in England and STILL no tea? I don't believe it! :innocent:

On the serious side I'd look into a head-lamp as opposed to a wind-up light source. But that's just me. Anything that you have to continually expand energy on is not as good as something you have batteries for and is ready to go! :cool2:

Haha, I suppose I'm not really much of a tea drinker.

I agree, although battery power is limited to how many batteries you can carry, and unfortunately the torch becomes useless when this resource runs out.

Don't worry about the choices. You won't become totally independent. You are going to get very hungry, though. Why don't you calculate how much all that stuff weighs and put an equivalent amount of weight in your bag and cart it around the house. You're going to be surprised how much that weighs.

Have you spent much time outdoors hiking or backpacking?

I'll work out the weight of the pack later today, and I'll see how it goes - maybe I'm being completely unrealistic by packing so many items, but I'll find out later.

I used to spend a lot of time hiking in Scouts and Army Cadets, and also a lot of time camping, although this wouldn't be what I call "survival camping" by any means, as it was only focused on building shelter, fires, knots, etc. as opposed to foraging, trapping, finding/purifying water, etc. We never had to bring much to camps or hikes, as most of the equipment was provided; I never really got an experience of carrying heavy loads on my back for long periods of time.

That is a much improved list! And good for you. I still think you might want to consider some sort of water purification, a filter or tablets? Just something to provide yourself with safe drinking water. Boiling is great but it is not always possible, convenient. I would also suggest more than one way to make fire. The magnesium is fine but it is wise to have other methods as well. Nothing at all wrong with carrying a lighter and a fresnel lens like this one below is also a great alternative.

Thanks, and what would you suggest to use as a water filter? I've read about items like cotton cloth being used (which would save on size and weight) and also about other specially-made filters (but I'm not sure about how these work or their size and weigh, etc.) so could you point me in the right direction?

When it comes to firecraft, I've read so many different guides and most of them have conflicting advice on whether to use magnesium firestarters or firesteel etc. The only issue I have with lighters (for example, Bic) is that they don't last very long (obviously longevity varies between models) and so I prefer to use magnesium, flint and steel, etc. as a longer-lasting alternative. Although a lighter (or maybe matches, or both?) would work as a backup, due to their relatively small size and weight, but I wouldn't want to rely on them for that reason.

Rick
08-06-2012, 07:29 AM
There is no such thing as survival camping. You are either camping or you are in a survival situation. The first is a good thing the latter you want to avoid at all costs.

You want the ability to purify water. The best method is boiling. It will kill all water borne pathogens. It does not treat water for contamination from chemicals. If you think your source might be contaminated by chemicals then choose another water source. Bring your water to a rolling boil and the water is purified. Next, you can choose a commercial filter or water purification tablets. Both will block/kill most water borne pathogens such as cryptosporidium, giardia, other cysts and protozoa and bacteria. They do not block/kill viruses. You will still need to treat your water for viruses. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) can be used to purify water. Make certain it is pure bleach with no additives. Add 8 drops per one gallon of water (2 drops per quart) if the water is clear. Use 16 drops (4 drops per quart) if the water is cloudy. Place the cap on the container leaving it slightly loose. Shake the container making certain some water leaks past the cap to purify the threads. Tighten the cap and let stand for 30 minutes. You should be able to detect a bleach odor. If not, let it stand for another 15 minutes.

Rick
08-06-2012, 07:34 AM
Oh, yeah. You might want to read through this as well.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?6837-What-Do-I-Need-To-Survive-in-the-Wild

Sarge47
08-06-2012, 09:07 AM
There is no such thing as SURVIVAL CAMPING. You are either camping or you are in a survival situation. The first is a good thing the latter you want to avoid at all costs.

Like Rick says!!! :thumbup1: Remember, "survival" is not "cool," it is not a game, it is NOT the latest "EXTREME SPORT!" Survival is "LIFE OR DEATH!" :ohmy: TV has used this as a medium of entertainment and have turned it into something that it's not. The best show I've ever seen on the subject was a two-parter titled "Marine Corps Survival School." They dealt with the harshness of survival and what it truly means! :thumbup1:

08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks Rick for the information, and thanks Sarge for the explanation.

In response to "survival camping" - it's just a term that I saw was used a lot on YouTube, sorry.

Sarge47
08-06-2012, 11:20 AM
....thanks Sarge for the explanation.

In response to "survival camping" - it's just a term that I saw was used a lot on YouTube, sorry.

No harm no foul, it's just a pet peeve of mine when I see the term used like it's something that you might "elect" to do. Anybody who deliberately puts themselves in a "survival situation" is asking for trouble. Did you ever notice how many survival books have the phrase "When out Survivalin'...?" None of them. They're all written to give you information on hopefully staying alive when things go terribly wrong! That show I mentioned earlier, "Marine Corps Survival School," set up a survival scenario where one of the members of the class had been wounded in the leg and had to be treated by the other members by dressing the wound, making a stretcher, and carrying him out! They hadn't been taking it to seriously and their teachers came down really hard on them! A lesson we all can learn! :smartass:

hunter63
08-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Camping is what you do when you want to....surviving is what you have to do to stay alive.

Pack up your stuff, walk around for a while, maybe even "make camp" in the back yard........Then take your list and do a audit.

Wildthang
08-06-2012, 07:17 PM
I would get rid of the shovel, and add a .22 pistol or rifle. If guns are illegal over there, I would get a pellet rifle or pistol. Shooting is a lot easier than snaring!

Theocrat
08-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Instead of toothpaste, I would substitute baking soda. Fluoride slowly poisons you and even the non fluoridated toothpastes have glycerin that coats your teeth so they will not re-enamalize and lauryl sulfites that are bad for you. I also like to add a little salt to the baking soda also. Costco had some Himalayan sea salt in an adjustable grinder and I just set it to the finest setting and make powdered salt to add to it, works great! and is good for you.

balendor
08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
I used to do a lot of backwoods backpacking at times we would be 20 or 30 miles from the nearest road, because of this we always went in a group of 5 the reason for this was safety if someone was injured we could alternate in 2s to carry them out, if the injury was to bad 2 could hike out for help and 2 could stay and care for the injured person. no one knows how or when an accident will occur in the woods having a plan in place before it happens can make all the difference. as a personal rule I always let someone not going on the hike know where I am going, what route I intended to travel, and when I expect to return.

DogMeatUK
08-07-2012, 10:19 AM
I don’t think I could survive a night without a cup of tea!

OP if your looking for a water filter then this one is pretty good - http://www.directshootingsupplies.co.uk/prods/surviva-pure-drinking-water-purification-straw-filter.html

There are better out there I’m sure, but for 700 litres there small, decent and cheap. Drank from some pretty dirty still water using them and been ok, if it’s any consolation.

I would add in a slingshot and some spare thera-band tubing to your kit. You could get a shotgun or air-rifle/air-pistol to hunt with but you will need permission to shoot on land. A slingshot is much easier to conceal and put in your pack for when you’re in areas where you don’t have permission to shoot. Practice enough with it and you can get very accurate, lots of small game to blat and eat!
Also perhaps add in a couple of Yo Yo reels, not absolutely necessary but great to hang out and leave for the day. They keep the fish playing and fresh. They cost nothing and their light.

OP, I’ve made a few digital and printable books on edible, inedible plants and tree identification/uses for bark, etc... (UK)
I would be more than happy to burn them to a disk and send them your way if you PM me your address. Alternatively if I get your email I will try and compress them down and send them over.

Cheers,

Mike

08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I'd like to say a big "thank you" to everyone who's helped -- I really appreciate it!

I would get rid of the shovel

Would it be okay to substitute the shovel for a gardening trowel, as it would still get the job done, yet is smaller and lighter in weight. I just can't think of any other way to dig holes without a tool of some sort.

wtrfwlr
08-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Yep, a trowel is a much better idea.

Rick
08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Here's a link that will give you an idea on a very lightweight yet sturdy trowel for cat holes. Truthfully, any tool can dig a hole. A tent stake or even a sharp stick depending on the type of soil of course.

http://v-g.me.uk/WildCamp/WildCampToilet.htm