PDA

View Full Version : Provide Feedback on my Bug Out Bag V1

08-05-2012, 04:26 AM
I would appreciate it if you can provide me with some feedback and criticism on the contents of my BOB. I haven't yet started purchasing items, as I'm just trying to find a realistic, general list of items that I will be packing.

- BINOCULARS
- BOOT LACES
- BOOT POLISH
- BOOTS
- CLOTHES BRUSH
- CLOTHING
- COMPASS
- COTTON CLOTHS
- DUCT TAPE
- FILTER BAGS
- FISH HOOKS
- FISHING LINE
- FLANNELS
- FOLDING SAW
- FOLDING SHOVEL
- GAITERS
- HATCHET
- HEAVY DUTY PLASTIC BAGS
- HEAVY DUTY ROPES
- HEAVY DUTY ZIPLOCK BAGS
- HUNTING KNIFE
- MAGNESIUM FIRE STARTERS
- MEDICAL KIT
- MULTI-TOOLS
- PARACHUTE CORD
- PLASTIC CLOTHES PEGS
- PLASTIC SHOES
- SAFETY PINS
- SCISSORS
- SEWING KIT
- SHARPENING STONES
- SHOE BRUSH
- SLEEPING BAG
- SLEEPING BAG COVERS
- SLEEPING BAG LINERS
- SNARE WIRE
- SOAP
- SURVIVAL GUIDE
- STEEL COMB
- STEEL MIRROR
- TARPAULINS
- TENT STAKES
- TOOTH BRUSHES
- TOOTHPASTE
- TOWELS
- WATER BAGS
- WATER CANTEEN SETS
- WATERPROOF JACKET
- WATERPROOF PONCHO
- WATERPROOF TROUSERS
- WIND-UP TORCH

I haven't yet included weapons on this list, although I might consider them if they become necessary.

Thanks

pete lynch
08-05-2012, 05:26 AM
Are you bugging out, bugging in, going camping, leaving civilization for an extended period of time?
Where are you located, ie. bugging to/from?
How many people are you providing for?
Boot polish, clothes brush, plastic clothes pegs (you may be referring to clothes pins?), shoe brush? why are these needed?
Who is going to carry all that stuff?
I'll leave the other 1001 questions for the experts.

08-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Are you bugging out, bugging in, going camping, leaving civilization for an extended period of time?
Where are you located, ie. bugging to/from?
How many people are you providing for?
Boot polish, clothes brush, plastic clothes pegs (you may be referring to clothes pins?), shoe brush? why are these needed?
Who is going to carry all that stuff?
I'll leave the other 1001 questions for the experts.

For the purpose of bugging out for an extended period of time (supposedly sustaining individual life over several months) with no specific bug out location (however I will be travelling through extensive woodlands in the South of England). I'm only sustaining myself, but may be amongst a group of others with similar kits.

The items you listed could be considered as luxuries in some cases, they aren't essential, but I modelled my bag on British military kit. I would be carrying this kit myself with a bergen - although I'm not sure if this is realistic due to the amount of items.

Thanks for your response.

natertot
08-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Everybody has there own things that to them is a necessity. My kits is always changing and evolving. My advice is put your kit together and go out for a week. Take notes on what was used and what wasn't as well as what worked and what didn't. Use your notes to get rid of items that aren't worth having and add items that are better suited for your needs.

crashdive123
08-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Why the clothes brush, clothes pins and shoe polish? I know that you said you modeled your kit on........ but what would be YOUR reasoning for bringing those items?

Sarge47
08-05-2012, 08:37 AM
....I modelled my bag on British military kit.

Hmmm, no tea? :confused1:

wtrfwlr
08-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I applaud your efforts for assembling such an extensive list, it looks as if alot of thought went into that. I personally would be more concerned with providing myself with water (such as a purifier) and food than keeping my outfit looking dapper. I would reconsider some of the items such as the boot polish and clothing brush. Before you purchase all of these items put some thought into how much this bag and the contents of this initial list are going to weigh, that is very important if you are going to hike for any distance at all.
You might take a moment a give us an introduction that would let us know a little bit about yourself and your experience. Everyone on here is more than happy to provide all sorts of constructive guidance. Welcome to the forum.

intothenew
08-05-2012, 10:18 AM
- binoculars

A monocular if you must, I figure the weight will kill that item though

- boot laces

The paracord will do just fine

- boot polish

You can't be serious. Spit will do if you run into a barn dance

- boots

With a breathable waterproof membrane

- clothes brush

Lose it. Drape them across a paracord clothes line and beat the dust off em' a few hours before the dance

- clothing

Certainly

- compass

A map to go with it would be nice

- cotton cloths

A bandana and a synthetic towel

- duct tape

Certainly, but it's heavy. Try to take less than a case.

- filter bags

Not sure what you mean on this one. Tea bag? Coffee filter?

- fish hooks
- fishing line

You need to think "fishing kit".

- flannels

Synthetic or wool

- folding saw
- folding shovel
- hatchet

You're a better man than I if you can carry all three. Are you planning on building the barn?

- gaiters

Bloused trousers

- heavy duty plastic bags

Drum liners?

- heavy duty ropes

Barn raising and/or rappelling?

- heavy duty ziplock bags

I'd put some food in em'

- hunting knife

Tell me about the one in your pocket first

- magnesium fire starters

I personally struggle with this one. You certainly need fire steel. Magnesium tinder, or any that you leave with is a finite amount. Learn natural tinders in your AO.

- medical kit

Certainly

- multi-tools

Singular, tell me about that knife in your pocket.

- parachute cord

Certainly

- plastic clothes pegs

learn to whittle with that knife in your pocket

- plastic shoes

Not sure I understand this one either. If it is overboots, a good pair of waterproof boots should kill that item

- safety pins

Certainly, various sizes

- scissors

If you must, the multi-tool should have one

- sewing kit

Certainly

- sharpening stones

Singular

- shoe brush

The back of your trousers

- sleeping bag
- sleeping bag covers
- sleeping bag liners

Where's the ground pad, air mattress, or hammock? Or, are you going to build a nest every night?

- snare wire

Certainly, and check the regs on size, when, and how you can use it.

- soap

Certainly

- survival guide

The big volume should be between your ears

- steel comb

You are going to have to explain this one.

- steel mirror

Plastic

- tarpaulins
- waterproof poncho

Certainly the poncho, I can't justify anything more than the drum liners

- tent stakes

Learn to whittle

- tooth brushes
- toothpaste

How many brushes? I think I could get quite a few miles out of one stiff one.

- towels

I thought we packed that already

- water bags

One camel bak

- water canteen sets

Singular. Can you cook out of that "set"?

- waterproof jacket

Certainly

- waterproof trousers

Let's weigh the pack first.

- wind-up torch

And AM/FM radio?

I might rethink all of the above if you'll add a mule and this (LINKY) (http://www.horse.com/item/twinkle-toes-hoof-polish/SLT700300/?SRCCODE=MRHSGPLA&mr:trackingCode=2563BF50-4106-E111-973E-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=10450066229&mr:keyword={keyword}) to that list. Bring some barbeque sauce also.

Rick
08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
What you expect to bug out from will determine what you need to have with you. If you are bugging out because Ireland invaded (they wouldn't do that, they're too nice) then you want to prep for battle. If you are bugging out because your girlfriend's father is looking for you then might want to forget a bob and just hightail it. Figure out what you are running from and that will tell you, in large part, what you want to take.

08-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Thank you very much for your comments - I will take them all into consideration and take it from there. Thanks a bunch!