PDA

View Full Version : my log cabin story

randyt
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I have a little story concerning a log cabin. Anyhoo a few weeks back I was putting in a furnace for a little old lady in a nearby village. Back in 1906 my great aunt Friendly and uncle Jules moved into a log cabin near this little village. The came up on a steamer into alpena mi and went to this little village of hawks. When they move in they had chased some sheep out of a cabin. Shortly there after the great metz fire happened, michigans worst forest fire. Aunt Friendly went back south and told Jules he could come or stay. Uncle Jules headed south a few months later with a buck board.

I'm doing this job and asked this little old lady about the location of this cabin, my dad had told me it still stood. She told me the location and come to find out her sister owns the cabin and has a modular home in front of it. I told her that I had a photo of Uncle Jules Meyers cabin She pipes up and said her grandpas name was Lou Meyers and he had a brother named jules. Lous farm was just up the road a bit. I said that I would bring the photo to work the following day. I brought the photo in and she had a centennial book of the town and on the front of the book was a photo of the cabin. It was identical, My photo has written on it "meyers cabin 1934". She looked at that photo and looked at the book. She said she never knew a meyers lived there. There was a picture of her granddads brother Jules in the centennial book too. I don't know what uncle jules looked like but my brother described him to a tee. Small world eh?

Sourdough
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Small World........

COWBOYSURVIVAL
08-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet story Randy! I remember seeing Grandpa's 1 room house in MS all covered in kudzu.

hunter63
08-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Now that is good, small world indeed.......Thanks for posting.

randyt
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
thanks for the comments fellas. The lady's sister said I could come and check it out anytime I'd like. It would be awesome to number the logs up and relocate over here to my place but it seems to be a major landmark for the village. Still looking for another though.

hunter63
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
The little town of Gays Mills WI, has a 'village on the fair grounds, with cabins and out building moved to the site form the area........Need to get some pic's, I go by it everytime I come and go thru the area on the way to "The Place".

Still amazes me how small they really were.

crashdive123
08-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Pretty neat story and a great piece of family and local history.

randyt
08-01-2012, 09:57 PM
thanks for the comments.

as long as I'm reminiscing there is a bottle in the medicine chest with a label marked "uncle jules liniment" I heard stories of this liniment and somewhere there is a recipe, now to find it.

oldtrap59
08-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Cool story randy. Thanks for posting. I remember well Gays Mills every fallHunter. Used to make at least one trip for apples and taters when I was in Iowa. Love those cheese curds too.:>)

OT

Rick
08-02-2012, 12:23 AM
We are all inter related in some way. It's amazing to talk to someone like that and find out what the connection is. That is a cool story. Sort of cleans up some loose threads of history. Thanks for posting.

1stimestar
08-02-2012, 02:26 AM
Awesome, fun, and interesting.