PDA

View Full Version : The Chain Start in Net Making

asemery
07-31-2012, 08:45 AM
When you make a net it is sometimes critical that all meshes be the same size. When you cast your first row onto a support cord or rod a
noticable length of material is taken up with the casting on knot. To compensate for this a narrower gauge is necessary for this first row.
That will affect the width of the needle you use.
An easier way is to use the chain start. All the meshes will be the same size. And you do not have to unpick the casting on the first row.

The Chain Start
Wrap the working end of your cord twice around the gauge and tie a knot. I generally tie a overhand knot with the loop and adjust it so that it fits
exactly twice arouind the gauge.
This is MESH # 1
A. Place Mesh #1 over hook and adjust loop so that knot is halfway between top and bottom of loop.
B. With gauge tie MESH # 2 into bottom of loop.
C. Remove gauge and Tie #3 into #2. Remove gauge and continue in this manner.
D. Tie exactly TWICE the number of meshes you need for the panel of netting you are making. The example has 6 meshes to make a panel 3 meshes wide.
E. Put a support cord (Anchor) through the even numbered meshes and begin to net into the odd numbered meshes.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/asemery/clothespingun004.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/asemery/clothespingun005.jpg

wtrfwlr
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm very much enjoying all that you are sharing on this net making stuff, thanks. Although I can read the writing on the wall....I'm gonna have to try and do this. I really don't need to start in on yet something else, I already have so many things I'm trying to learn. Oh well, never hurts to learn and the tuition here is certainly cheap enough I think. I have a 2# spool of small nylon twine that has been just sittin here for years that is begging me to give it a go. I'm going to go and have a look at your site and see if there is a start/basic project that I can try. Would you have a suggestion for me? I'm pretty good with knots and have done some nice paracord projects. Thanks again, Bj-wtrfwlr

asemery
07-31-2012, 10:58 AM
wtrfwir,
Thanks. It's great to see another person interested in this ancient craft. Stay ayay from nylon for your first attempt at netmaking. The slippery nature of the material makes it more difficult to tie a secure knot. Get some jute or cotton twine for that first project.
I have my apprentices first make a flat panel of netting 12 meshes wide by 12 deep. Then string a separate cord through the meshes on the ends and sides. This cord becomes the drawstring for a storage pouch.
Some of my most popular items are onion storage bags and potato storage bags. Storage hammocks for tents and campers are also nice projects. I have made many suet bags for my friends and relatives who feed birds. Take a look at the photo section of my site fore more ideas. Tony

wtrfwlr
07-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Well there ya go, a tip right from the get go! I never thought about the slick nature of the nylon but the jute makes much more sense. And a Suet feeder bag would be an absolute perfect project, something I could use when I'm done. I feed with suet all winter long here in the yard. I also have lots of jute already since I use it in upholstery to tie springs and such.
I did go to the site and WOW!!! I never knew that world existed, a little overwhelming at first glance. I did look over that cool bag you made that had the throat or whatever in it(the one that you had golf balls and tennis balls in) very cool. There are many categories there, is there maybe a tutorial that would show me, someone who knows nothing, how to begin one of those 12X12 panels?
Bj wtrfwlr

asemery
07-31-2012, 12:54 PM
My basic instructions that can be found at my site and here as well
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?19578-Net-Making-Part-1-and-2 show how to make that first panel. The dimensions vary slightly. Tony

wtrfwlr
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
Thank You Kind Sir!

asemery
08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Here is a video of the chain start by Jann's Netcraft. Tony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1v6F_JiGTc
The demonstrator showa how to tie the knot the way I show in my basic instructions. He is using a bonded nylon twine. Bonded nylon holds a knot very well but is stiff and sometimes hard to work with (and hard on your hands). Stick with natural material - cotton, jute, hemp ( if you can find soft hemp), and spun nylon. Tony

wtrfwlr
08-26-2012, 08:03 AM
That's a pretty cool video. I used some of the bonded twine but mine was weathered fairly well from staying in my boat for a while so while it was still a little stiff it was not bad on the hands. I think it helped me as a beginner a little since it had a little more 'body' to it and was easier for me to keep straight. I have also picked up some of the cheap jute in a couple different colors to do some indoor stuff and just practice with and get myself some more experience.
I've been busy with some work projects so my netting has had to go by the way side for the moment but as soon as that is done I will get back to some fun projects. Thanks for all the great lessons Tony!!!!!