PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

ATough
06-30-2007, 12:34 PM
hello Ive always wanted to go camping and will be going for the first time this winter. I know a few things about survival and I love the outdoors, I hope to be freinds with evryone here and hope to learn more about survival.:cool:

Tony uk
06-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey And Welcome

Its going to be freezeing in the winter i would wait untill after to go :)

ATough
07-01-2007, 11:20 AM
thats exactly why where going my family and I are going to goergia.

marberry
07-01-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah winter isnt the best time to camp, specially for beginners. i love winter camping though making snow caves to live ion for the week is sooo fun lol. but i have canadian military issue down parka so i dont get cold lol. if you plan on goin often buy a parka.

ATough
07-01-2007, 07:55 PM
okay is there anything else I should get?

ky archer
07-01-2007, 11:37 PM
I love fall and winter camping! It's my favorite. But I am also a hardcore mofo. Don't buy any cotton thermals from your local WalMart, though. Cotton sucks! Always buy polypro or some other wicking material. UnderArmor has some good stuff. You said you were going to camp in Georgia this winter? I went through basic training in Ft. Benning, Georgia and it does get chilly in the fall and winter evenings. It does not take much to get hypothermia(?). Have fun.

nell67
07-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Oldest son just went through his AIT training in Augusta Georgia this past winter and he thought it was pretty warm down there for winter,but then he is used to the Ohio Valley winters here in So. Indiana,LOL.

ATough
07-02-2007, 07:52 PM
my dad is from georgia and he said where he livedit wasnt that cold so thats where were going.

mbarnatl
07-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Where about in Georgia are you going. I live in the NE Georgia mountains and it gets cold in the winter here. We get ice and snow storms several times in the winter. Mainly in January and February. Last winter we had temperatures range from 10 to 80 degrees F. in a two week period. Went from sunshine to rain, then to a ice storm. Got stuck at home with no power for three days and roads blocked. My daughters and I had a great time.

Averages 2 to 3 ice storms a year. Snow up to a inch several times and about 1 or 2 snow storm more than a inch. This is in the NE mountains of Ga. Now in then south part of Ga. it stays mostly in the 50 to 80's.

spiritman
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds like the tropics compared to a northern Utah winter but ours are a breeze, ppl love our winters

FVR
07-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Did a prim. hog hunt in South Georgia years back on the Flint River. Ahhh, it's Ga., it doesn't get that cold, even in Jan.

Yeh right.

Middle of the night, my little tent is covered in ice, I only brought one little military green blanket, I was freezing. Could not figure out how to get warm. Realized I had my mil. rain poncho, got up, freezing, laid out the poncho, put my green wool blanket inside and rolled myself up in it.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH.............It was warmmmmmmm.

Next morning found out that it had gotten down to 2 degrees.

Then there was that time up in the Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest, it got real cold that night to.

Yep, it gets cold in the south.

Oh yeah, I never go in the woods overnight without my wool blanket and either a good waterproof piece of canvas or my trusty mil. poncho.

ATough
07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
spiritman where do you suggest we go sinse you still live in Georgia?
my dad hasnt been there in about 20 years.

FVR
07-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Remember when camping in Ga. in the winter, early Oct. to mid Jan is rifle deer season. Be wary and cautious if you are on a Nat'l forest. Wear orange.

It all depends on where and how you plan your outing.

ATough
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
thanks I'll tell my parents about deer season.

spiritman
07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
spiritman where do you suggest we go sinse you still live in Georgia?
my dad hasnt been there in about 20 years.

Sorry typo. I was going fast. I live in Utah so thats where I go unless i can get to California in the Sierra Nevada range

ATough
07-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Okay thanks.

nell67
07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I think Georgia has the most beautiful roadsides <LOL I know we only saw a small portion of the state while driving son from Fort Jackson to Fort Gordon,but what we saw was truely beautiful,well kept clean,and wandered if the camping areas were the same way.

Sarge47
07-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi gang, I'm a former Assistant Scoutmaster & survival teacher. I'm currently working on a survival book entitled "Everything I needed to know about Survival I learned in the Boy Scouts." So hows everybody doin'

irishman
01-05-2008, 07:37 PM
hey there, i'm doing fine thanks. i would love to get a copy of the book when it's published. anyhow, i'm new to this place and i'm looking for information. i am planning on moving to alaska within the next couple of years. i want to buy some acres in the wilderness, build a cabin and live off the land. would u ,or anyone you know in here have any information or experince with this. i need to find out about laws and hunting fishing and trapping licenses, as well as anything else that would be useful for me. i would really appreciate it, thankyou

Rick
01-05-2008, 07:38 PM
See:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1173&highlight=living+grid

irishman
01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
See:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1173&highlight=living+grid

thankyou very much