PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Zachary
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi, I’m new to posting on the website although I’ve seen it before trying to find good poisons for hunting.
I’m 19 and I’ve lived in California my entire life, and I have lived in the Sierra Nevada regions of it for the majority of my life.

The experience i have in survival is spending my entire childhood in the mountains,
some independent research on local plants and other herbs, and I’ve seen every episode of man vs wild about 3
different times I’m also going to be taking a wilderness survival class at my college. My hobbies are fishing, reading, archery, and art.

On a side note if anyone has any recommendations for books about plants that can be used as medicine,
Poison or food i would love to hear them; although I’m sure I’ll find some as i look through the site.
The only book I’ve found so far is the poisoner’s hand book, and that wasn't focused on the hunting aspect
of poisioning like i was hopeing. It was still a good book though.

crashdive123
07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Why the focus on poisons?

Zachary
07-24-2012, 05:20 PM
It’s a natural resource and could potentially be good information to have. Mostly because I just started looking into it a few days ago so I’m curious.

crashdive123
07-24-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm curious as well. What would your intended use for them be?

Zachary
07-24-2012, 05:28 PM
If i were in a survival situation poision could make a trap or a hand made bow more potent for large game. Also sence ive been trying to learn about plants that are edible, and medicinal it makes sence to know which ones will kill you if you try eating them.

crashdive123
07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
OK. Good luck with that and welcome.

Rick
07-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Here is our book thread. You'll find a lot of references on plants for food and medicinal use. None on poisons. Welcome home and what he said on the poison.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?5483-Official-Book-Thread!

Zachary
07-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the link i actually am more interested in the medicinal uses of plants. It just doesn’t sound that way because i just started studying poison so it’s a new subject to me.

hunter63
07-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Hunter63, saying Hey, and Welcome.
I avoid any kind of poison as best as I can....so good luck with that.

WY21lmb
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Welcome from Wyoming.

Celticwarrior
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
I personally wouldn't use any type of poison, as most of them stay in the flesh even after cooking. Things like poison dart frog venom used in South America is a notable exception, since it breaks down in heat. Back in the day, Rotenone which is a natural agricultural pesticide used to be used by 'survivalists' to 'poison' fish in lakes, by cutting off their oxygen supply. It was harmless to eat the fish caught this way because the chemical had no effect on the meat. Other than those exceptions though, most poisons are ingested and systemic, and will leave traces in the blood, meat and organs which could be dangerous or deadly to someone (or something) eating the animal afterward. To me, you would be better off learning things like traps, deadfalls, and snares. There is a ton of information on them, and a lot to learn, but by putting out a dozen of them, you could increase your hunting ability manifold. It would certainly be safer than hoping the poison you used on an animal isn't enough to kill you when you eat it.

Winter
07-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Welcome to WSF. Poison hunting is something I guess I never thought of. It could be very useful I guess. Blowguns and what not are easy to make but lack lethality. If a common plant can bring down a larger animal that a little dart can't kill, I see a lot of merit in being aware of those natural poisons.

Sarge47
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Welcome aboard! I don't eat plants, but my wife uses various herbs as medicines. Forget the poison, if you want to kill fish a stick of dynamite will do just as good with no ill effects! :creepy:

Zachary
07-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone, on a side note i don't think i mentioned this in the original post but if anyone wants to refer to me by name i prefer Zach.

Rick
07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, Zach, as it happens, I have this really intense poison that I hunt with. All it takes is a tiny scratch and....oh, crap.....hang on....Quick! Someone call....aaaarrggghhhhh.

shaner
07-27-2012, 07:26 AM
hello to ya

grokh5499
08-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Welcome home.