PDA

View Full Version : Using Bamboo

Aurelius95
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I bought a house two years ago and I have a nice patch of bamboo in the back yard. It's creeping out and so I've decided to trim it back. The question I have is "what do I do with it?". My son (7) is interested in making a lean-to, which I expect wouldn't be too hard. Thoughts?

Also, from other posts I've read, it would be fun to make a spear from bamboo, or a fishing pole.

Thanks
A95

Rick
03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Here's a link to the American Bamboo Society. They have tons of ideas for bamboo uses.

http://www.americanbamboo.org/GeneralInfoPages/BambooAsMaterial.html

Bamboo shoots contain pretty large amounts of cyanogens, which can cause cyanide poisoning. So you want to make certain you cook them if you plan to eat or can the shoots.

You can make a walking stick and use the top hollow section to store survival gear in.

canid
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM
a lean to would not nessecarily be too difficult for a 7 year old, particularly if you can help or supervise. that's about the age i started learning to make wilderness shelters, and gt my first folding knife and hatchet. at that time, i was only permitted to them it when my father was there, and within a few months, he was confident of my ability use the unsupervised.

and uhm, rick: how would one can the shoots without cooking them?

as for other uses: what diameters of bamboo are we talking? they make fine cane poles as is, and strips of the larger diameter wood, planed, chamfered, glued and wrapped into a round, hexaonal or octagonal sectioned bundle, then varnished or otherwise sealed once the glue has set up can make one of the finer and more elegant fishing pole rods ever invented. i used to have such a rod that was about 40 years old.

Aurelius95
03-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Our bamboo has a diameter that ranges from 1" to about 4-5". I think we'll plan a survival shelter. Rick, I liked the idea of using the hollow top to store survival items. I'll have to look into making a cane pole as well.

I appreciate your insight.

canid
03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
cool. also, bamboo of that large diameter, split into thirds makes good shingles for shelters, outbuildings, etc. similar in application to spanish tile.

large diameter bamboo makes nice boxes for storage of small items, pots for primitive cooking, steamers for use over a fire, etc.

canid
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
in the spirit of 'there's little you can't do with bamboo', it's use for building scaffolds in so much of asia is not limited by the size of the project:

http://bambus.rwth-aachen.de/eng/reports/buildingmaterial/neuebilder/geruest.jpg

Rick
03-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I give up, Canid, how would you?:D

trax
03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
so, in case you're looking to unload bamboo shoots, I have this pet panda....:D:D:D

Aurelius95
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
so, in case you're looking to unload bamboo shoots, I have this pet panda....:D:D:D

The Atlanta Zoo has at least two pandas and were looking for donations last year. I called in my information and they sent a team to look it over. It was the right species that they eat, but the zoo never came to pick it up. I'm tired of waiting, so it looks like it's time to start chopping! :)

WildGoth
03-03-2008, 05:35 PM
i wish i had bamboo growing here

Aurelius95
03-04-2008, 08:06 AM
If you take a piece of bamboo and split it length ways, next take one half and shave it with a knife. (scrape it for tinder) Then place one half on the ground round side down braced with rocks or whatever then use the other half like a saw (cross ways to the piece on the ground with the tinder inside the bottom piece. the friction will ignite the shavings .

If you ever saw the movie Rescue Dawn (wouldn't recommend it though), early in the movie after the pilot is captured by the VC, he watches them make fire the way you describe. I'll definitely have to try it. I would assume that the bamboo has to be dried out first.

Here's a link to making/using a "firesaw"

http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/firesaw/index.html

dilligaf2u2
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM
My grand father taught me how to make cane fly rods from bamboo. When I was in the vacation land of the east, I sent about 100 14' sections back to him (your tax dollars at work). He picked out about 10 that he considered good for rods.

Have you looked at the prices of cane fly rods these days. The equipment needed to make one would cost little compared to the cost of a cane fly rod these days.

Is this Bamboo or Raton? Hollow core or solid core? I would love a 5 ft length of Raton. Make a great defense weapon and or walking stick.

Don

Aurelius95
03-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Is this Bamboo or Raton? Hollow core or solid core? I would love a 5 ft length of Raton. Make a great defense weapon and or walking stick.

It's definitely a hollow center. I'll look around and see what species I have and get back with you on that.

bulrush
03-04-2008, 10:05 AM
I found and purchased some bamboo that survives the Michigan winters here. It is a clumping type, however the canes don't get real wide (only about 1/2 inch) and they get about 6 feet tall. So not much use for anything but decorative.

However the leaves sound just like rain when the wind rustles them.

What you really want is the giant Moso bamboo. That's the stuff used for building. But I don't think it survives freezing so will only survive in the southern US.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Use it as a steemer, Get one bit near a closeing, The other end open, Put in some water, What you want to cook then stuff opening in with NON POSIONUS, Eddible vegitation and put it over the fire untill cooked, Useing a knife split it down the middles and enjoy

Beo
03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Bamboo is best used in 4 foot sections and soaked in water to beat your 16 year old son with when he comes on here posting all about you. :D You listening Trooper.

Tony uk
03-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Bamboo is best used in 4 foot sections and soaked in water to beat your 16 year old son with when he comes on here posting all about you. :D You listening Trooper.

I can imagine you as Judge Dred :p

trax
03-04-2008, 05:09 PM

I knew there was a reason I liked you, by the way, leave Trooper the h*ll alone or we'll really start prying information out of him, LOL.

crashdive123
03-04-2008, 05:43 PM

Trooper: The best defence for you on this is to stop posting stuff about your pops. Therefore we all look forward to the PM's that we'll be receiving from you.:cool::cool:

trax
03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Cancel that pet panda thing, don't have pet pandas. On the up side, panda meat is quite tasty!

hillbilly1987
03-04-2008, 07:11 PM
in the spirit of 'there's little you can't do with bamboo', it's use for building scaffolds in so much of asia is not limited by the size of the project:

http://bambus.rwth-aachen.de/eng/reports/buildingmaterial/neuebilder/geruest.jpg

holy crap i bet that was a big project

GVan
03-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Good luck on your leanto.
You might also try a simple cane ple for your son to learn to fish with. It's loads of fun.

Alpine_Sapper
03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
You could always grab a 4 foot section, and punch through all the divisions except the bottom one. Near the top of the division directly above this, drill a small hole, and insert a tube that will hold a bowl. Then add a small amount of water and ... Oh wait, nevermind.

:eek:

Eagles Talon
03-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Bamboo is the most versitile building substance in the world, you can make just about anything out of it, i have seen small ovens made out of it, and boiling pots, tables, chairs, mats, weapons, houses whatever you ca nthink of you could probably make it out of bamboo.

pgvoutdoors
03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
We have a type of bamboo here in Ohio that can withstand the hard winters. I don't recall the the proper name but some people use it to landscape. It doesn't grow very big in diameter (1/4" - 1") at best. There is one problem though, it creeps! The roots can be very destructive, heaving concrete, and climbing under siding. Don't plant it near your home! Many nurseries use to carry it but it's a bit harder to find now that they know the drawbacks of it.

GVan
03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
My wife informs me that her uncle use to work with bamboo. He'd use it for just about abything. He'd make the house, rugs, curtain, furnature, tablearecloth, paper (all types), and the aunt would use ti for dinner.
I'm suprised that with so many uses that the government hadn't made it illeagle.

jaywalker
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Grass cane and bamboo make wonderful atlatl darts when straightened with water.

hellstorm2012
09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
build a t p and a pipe

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I saw a show on the discovery channel where a guy was making bycicles out of bamboo.

wareagle69
09-28-2008, 10:59 PM
bamboo would be nice around here think of how little you would have to carry just a parang and your stricker you can cook in it like a pot man thats the best seen ray mears put some rice in one and shrimp the the other and made a great meal impressive, but then i think of the terrain it grows in and am reminded of what i don't like the jungle hate that more than the swamps give me the bush or mountains. can even do desert just no where there is bamboo so iguess my post has run the gamet adios

crashdive123
09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Lots of bamboo around here. Probably planted for decorative reasons - spreads like a weed.

Pict
09-29-2008, 08:05 AM
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4797/img02881yg5.jpg

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/9405/img1959ks7.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3478/traparapucawx4.jpg

I like bamboo. Mac