PDA

View Full Version : New Cougar pic here in Michigan

Celticwarrior
07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
This is an pic from a trail cam up here darn near in spitting distance from some of my usual haunts. Good to see cougars back in the wild and all, but this is also quite scary. Wolves and Bears are one thing, but these cats can be unpredictable and dangerous. They don't get scared of humans, they see us as FOOD.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120719/METRO/207190400/1409/rss36

crashdive123
07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Dagnabit! I thought it was going to be another picture of Ruth England.:whistling:

Rick
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM
That's a great pic. We had one in S. Indiana that the DNR captured on trail cam. Same thing. It's in my favorite haunts. I have mixed feelings on it as well but my "glad their back" feeling is much strong than my "crap I'm on the menu" feeling.

Celticwarrior
07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
That's a great pic. We had one in S. Indiana that the DNR captured on trail cam. Same thing. It's in my favorite haunts. I have mixed feelings on it as well but my "glad their back" feeling is much strong than my "crap I'm on the menu" feeling.

Me too, but you know what they say: "It's all fun and games until someone gets their head gnawed on by a giant puma"

Rick
07-18-2012, 06:42 PM
If I had a nickle for every time I've heard that.......

Winnie
07-19-2012, 04:46 AM
Well, that was disappointing. I can't see the darned pic! The most dangerous animals I have locally are my Niece and Nephew!

natertot
07-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Dagnabit! I thought it was going to be another picture of Ruth England.:whistling:

Nah, she's too young for the cougar category. I think she's still in the "hot mom" category.:thumbup:

hunter63
07-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Seems he (they) are on the move, from WI news last nite....
http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/Cougar_caught_on_trail_cam_in_Buffalo_County_16297 4036.html

Celticwarrior
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Seems he (they) are on the move, from WI news last nite....
http://www.weau.com/news/headlines/Cougar_caught_on_trail_cam_in_Buffalo_County_16297 4036.html

We had a different one here last year that has a radio collar on it. It came from somewhere west of here as well, they think South Dakota or maybe even further. Ones from Wyoming have ended up as far east as Pennsylvania. Good hunting here and in upper Wisconsin for them. Plenty of deer and small game. Even with the bears and wolves, there is plenty to sustain a breeding population if you can get enough of the adults to stick around.

Wingman
07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I thought all the cougars in Michigan hung out at the local VFW.... Nice photo.

luketdrifter
08-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Nice that the DNR has finally admitted they are here. We've seen them both in person, on trail cams, and sign all over for years in the Northern Lower.

Chris
08-19-2012, 04:54 PM
In West Branch, which is in the middle about halfway between Saginaw and Gaylord, 15 years ago maybe, I swear I saw a cougar in the woods. It was about 150 yards away, I was up a hill on a deck, it was down walking from a mowed area into some brush. I saw only the backend of it, but unless domestic cats have grown very large with a long thick tail it was a cougar, the coloring was exactly right as well. Only other place I ever saw a cat with a tail like that was a zoo. Also, we had chickens in such times, and some cat (cougar, lynx, bobcat) got them all one night based on tracks left.

Sarge47
10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
No question about this one:

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-iowa/Police-shoot-mountain-lion-in-back-yard-of-Des-Moines-home/-/9357080/16855062/-/uy6i25z/-/index.html :creepy:

Bucksnort
10-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I was just reading yesterday about some crackpot animal rights group that is actually trapping western cougars and releasing them in the east and midwest. The Michigan DNR denied for years the existence of cougars at Sleeping Bear Dunes, despite the Feds declaring them there, and posting warning signs. I think that it probably has to do with the fact that if they acknowledge their presence, then they are required to manage them-and when you're talking about an animal that routinely kills livestock, and the occasional human, management is probably a pain in the butt. There was a horse attacked by a cougar several years ago in Parma, Michigan-the vet that worked on the horse was formerly from Colorado, and had seem many many livestock predations. The DNR swore up and down that he didn't know what he was talking about.