PDA

View Full Version : Where to find affordable wool longsleeves and/or sweatshirts?

protogalaxy
07-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Does anyone have any links or private sale wool longsleeves or sweatshirts?

Most I've found are about 120-130 dollars for one shirt..

finallyME
07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Thrift stores and army surplus stores. You can also make your own with wool blankets.

Winter
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Thrift stores and army surplus stores. You can also make your own with wool blankets.

Great things to be found in Mil surplus.

Sarge47
07-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Yard and Garage sales! :smartass:

protogalaxy
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Thank you, will be checking local thrift and garage sales.

I've found a lot of the military surplus sites have thin and cheap quality.

I really like the idea of making my own out of wool blankets,

I have found a good source of wool blankets of decent quality, and think I will we making some "ponchos"

Aperreciations!

BENESSE
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
We live in "Stoic" merino. Can't recommend it highly enough and so far here's the best price for it:
http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-mens-long-underwear

Sarge47
07-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Thank you, will be checking local thrift and garage sales.

I've found a lot of the military surplus sites have thin and cheap quality.

I really like the idea of making my own out of wool blankets,

I have found a good source of wool blankets of decent quality, and think I will we making some "ponchos"

Aperreciations!

here's where the bad economy can work in your favor. People are selling there stuff cheap because they need the money. Be selective, especially with price/cost! I've been on both sides of yard/garage sales for 35 years! :smartass:

Rbrownkatz
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
I bought two of these US Military 100% wool $7.98:
http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/0178.html

Sarge47
07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Google the name "Freecycle" for your State & county. Sign up to become a member and post what you need...include your sizes. You cannot buy anything from this group, they GIVE the stuff away! We use it sometimes to get rid of left-over stuff that failed to sell at our yard sales. I should have thought of this awhile back. We have even gotten used camping gear from this group! :santasmile:

Celticwarrior
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Military surplus stores often have wool 'commando' sweaters for $15 - $20. Keep you warm, even when wet.

pete lynch
07-17-2012, 05:09 AM
I have bought several very nice wool sweaters at Goodwill @ $3 a piece.

erickitt
07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I've had some success using craigslist. I got a VERY nice Cabela’s 100% virgin wool (I still don't understand what the activities of the sheep in their private lives has to do with my clothing...) sweater last year for $10. I search about once a week using just the keyword 'wool' sometimes I have to add in -saddle so I don't get a ton of listings for those small horse blankets that go under a saddle. (wool -saddle) I've given serious consideration to buying a 100% wool mens suit coat and pants a time or two, if I could find one for the right price and size.

h3nchm3n81
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Military surplus stores often have wool 'commando' sweaters for $15 - $20. Keep you warm, even when wet.

Wooly-Pully!! Best piece of gear ever. I got too fat for the one I was issued in the Corps but my brother was still in the Navy at the time and bought me a new one that fit. It is the most essential piece of clothing that I take with me.

Also, in response to OP. I've started making my own clothing. It started as a hobby for re-enactment clothing but I've learned that the fabric can usually be purchased cheaper than buying a finished product and the quality is usually much better.