PDA

View Full Version : Snorkeling? and waterproof camera

Kamel
07-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I hope this belongs here, Ive been snorkeling twice. But im a really strong swimmer and despite being a smoker, I can still dive down 25 feet comfortably. I dont know if its like this in every state, but you need a license for spear fishing, not just a regular fishing license. Anyway, Is spear fishing worth it, say near a river or lake with a wooden spear you widdled, how easy is it, any tips for when you make the spear? I went snorkeling yesterday and got real close to big fish. So im just asking for general tips if anyone knows any. Also I brought this up in Crashdive's thread. But im looking for a decent waterproof camera ATLEAST 10mp for upto $150. Ive been looking at reviews and stuff on youtube and just wanna see if you guys have experience with any that you really love and recommend.

Geek
07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Given your interests, I suggest you consider getting SCUBA certified, then move on to underwater photography. Snorkeling won't let you get up close to the things you want to photograph long enough to set up the shot, etc.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Well, im not looking to be a photographer, I just love taking pictures and sharing with my friends. But I have been interested in getting scuba certified, im a broke mofo with a ged and cant find even a minimum wage job where im at.

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 08:57 PM
When I lived in the PNW I often went spear fishing (scuba, not snorkel). Each outing normally yielded enough fish for quite a few days of meals. I only used a Hawaiian Sling.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Care to link one? Ive never even thought about spear fishing till yesterday or heard of anyone doing it that I know. I googled them and know what they look like, but it looks sweet. they look light, are they compact, any foldable ones?

http://www.abbiller.com/products/hawaiian-sling/

I see this and want to ask, im sure the strap is so you dont lose it, but the difference between the HM and the HMG, what does that little rod do, besides grip etc etc?

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I have a couple - this is the one I prefer - it's a break down model. I find that the three pronged tip is most effective (for me).

http://images.craigslist.org/5Fd5Hb5Me3M73Ia3Lec6c65bb21761a311283.jpg

That is not a strap on it, but rather surgical tubing that is your "engine". I haven't looked, but there are probably youtube vids on using them. Or.....you could make your own. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?4384-Hawaiian-Sling&highlight=Hawaiian+sling

Kamel
07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Ive watched some videos now, i think i got it. Theres a barrel, then the spear, you put the spear in the barrel and pull it thru the end of the barrel and rest it on the tubing and pull it back and it slingshots it at the target, correct?

Rick
07-15-2012, 09:34 PM
That looks like something I could really injure myself with. Not just one hole....three!

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Not quite. Let's change the terminology a little. The sling, once assembled is basically three parts - tip - shaft - power tubing or band. Fully assembled the slings will be about 6 or 7 feet long. Place the tubing in the area between your thumb and index finger of your shooting (right or left) hand. Grasp the shaft of the sling with your other hand and reach toward the tip with your shooting hand and grasp the shaft tightly. This will pull the tubing tight and your ling is now "loaded". Relax the grip slightly on your shooting hand to fire the sling. Do not let completely loose or else you will lose control of your sling.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh ok, so if i picked one up, and practiced with it in my buddies yard, id probably be able to figure it out within 10 minutes? Not be pro at aiming, but id be able to figure out how it works?

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 09:52 PM
They're pretty simple to use, so yes.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 09:54 PM
sweet, can I find them at my local sports shop? average price, also thanks crash.

Rick
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM
ER Doctor: "So, Rick, tell me again how this happened."
Rick: "I pulled back on the shaft, the rubber band thingy slipped off and smacked me in the forehead. I went to grab my forehead and that's when I impaled my hand on the three sticker thingies. I jerked my hand back that's when the shaft slapped me in the side of the head."
ER Doctor: "Happens a lot. Don't worry about it."

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 10:01 PM
sweet, can I find them at my local sports shop? average price, also thanks crash.

I don't know. I've never been in your local sports shop. As far as price goes - I haven't bought one in over 30 years.....yeah, they're durable.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I meant like, dunhams sport, academy, bass pro shop, fleet farm, etc etc

crashdive123
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM
As I said - been more than 30 years since I bought one, so can't help you with who carries them. I guess I could Googlefu it, but you know what is in your area better than me.

Kamel
07-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Searching now good sir, no **** here crash :P

karatediver
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
You don't need to purchase a digital camera for taking pictures underwater. What you need is a camera housing for a camera you may already own. There are a couple different manfacturers of camera housings for diving. It's usually a matter of selecting the housing to fit your camera model. They are generally not cheap though. Would you want to take your expensive camera under the water with a cheap housing?

Please keep in mind that photography under water is very different than photography in the rest of the world. Objects and fish you see through your mask appear closer and larger than they really are. You are basically looking through a magnifying lense with the water and your mask working together.

Good underwater photos need super clear water. You will have to use the flash on the camera almost every time and that flash goes only a short distance. Any particulate matter in the water will make your pictures look grainy. The folks into underwater photography spend thousands on high end cameras and extra flash units at different angles to clean things up and get the nice pictures you see online or in magazines.

You will be able to take pictures underwater with a simple digital camera and houseing but they will not look like the ones you see in National Geographic. My first outing with a simple film camera with underwater houseing resulted in three decent shots due to lighting and particles in the water. One was of me that my sister took that did not turn out too bad. The two other shots were of fish and they were not very good.

Also, at some point, your camera will most likely get flooded and will go bye bye. It may not happen the first 20-50 times you use it or it could happen the fifth time you use it. At some point the O ring will fail even if you work like mad to keep it in good shape. So you need to decide if your underwater photos are worth the loss of a camera, particularly if it is an expensive one.

On the spear fishing front, spear fishing is a great way to get fish. Make sure you follow your local Fish and Game laws. Most of the basic spear set ups on the market will work. It is nice being able to pick out your fish instead of waiting for some random fish to bite your hook. With some practice you can have much success. Be careful on size regulations on fish. That fish that looks legal underwater may be too small. Some guys make marks on their spear guns as a reference underwater. As stated before, objects underwater appear closer and larger than they really are.

Kamel
07-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Awesome, thanks, we do have a camera, but it takes generally crappy pictures and No audio in the video, so we need an upgrade either way. And I looked at my spearfishing laws.

Subdivision 1.Period when use prohibited.

Except as specifically authorized, a person may not take fish from the third Monday in February to April 30 with a spear, fish trap, net, dip net, seine, or other device capable of taking fish.
Subd. 2.Possession.

(a) Except as specifically authorized, a person may not possess a spear, fish trap, net, dip net, seine, or other device capable of taking fish on or near any waters. Possession includes personal possession and in a vehicle.

(b) A person may possess spears, dip nets, and spear guns allowed under section 97C.381 on or near waters between sunrise and sunset from May 1 to the last Sunday in February, or as otherwise prescribed by the commissioner.

A resident or nonresident may use a rubber powered gun, spring gun, or compressed air gun to take rough fish by harpooning. The harpoon must be fastened to a line not more than 20 feet long. The commissioner may prescribe the times, the waters, and the manner for harpooning rough fish.

So im good till February ha. Laws are so picky when it comes to our DNR, but it helps everyone out. Think ill go look at my sporting goods places today.

Batch
07-16-2012, 06:40 PM
I have an Olympus Stylus. I forget what model. But, my kids bought it for me years ago. It is only rated for like 5 meters. But, it takes decent pictures.I got it because I am a swamp rat and I forget what I put in my pocket and end up drowning stuff.

My guys at work are hard on cameras and we recently bought some Olympus Toughs that were $129 on Olympus's site. I went to by more and they weren't on sale anymore. A quick goggle and you can find them pretty close to what I paid for them.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=olympus+tough&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=dAv&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1200&bih=607&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17053101560663533117&sa=X&ei=KpgEUPL1DaWU2AXRjITDBQ&ved=0CLwBEPMCMAY

Rick
07-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for that link. That's pretty cool. I might have to pick one of those up.

Geek
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Well, im not looking to be a photographer, I just love taking pictures and sharing with my friends. But I have been interested in getting scuba certified, im a broke mofo with a ged and cant find even a minimum wage job where im at.

When you are ready, talk to some local scuba shops. For basic open water certification, most will provide the bulk of the equipment you need and the course will be relatively inexpensive. If you don't like it then you don't need to spend more. If you do like it, you then need to start buying or renting equipment, which will not be included in more advanced courses, so that's where the real expense kicks in.

Kamel
07-16-2012, 09:39 PM
When you are ready, talk to some local scuba shops. For basic open water certification, most will provide the bulk of the equipment you need and the course will be relatively inexpensive. If you don't like it then you don't need to spend more. If you do like it, you then need to start buying or renting equipment, which will not be included in more advanced courses, so that's where the real expense kicks in.

there is actually a scuba school down the street, ill have to look into it

I have a couple - this is the one I prefer - it's a break down model. I find that the three pronged tip is most effective (for me).

http://images.craigslist.org/5Fd5Hb5Me3M73Ia3Lec6c65bb21761a311283.jpg

That is not a strap on it, but rather surgical tubing that is your "engine". I haven't looked, but there are probably youtube vids on using them. Or.....you could make your own. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?4384-Hawaiian-Sling&highlight=Hawaiian+sling

I found out the pic you posted, isnt actually a hawaiian sling, its a Polespear. I guess alot of people mix them up which is why i prolly didnt find any good videos on slings

Rick
07-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Hawaiian Sling is Polespear in the Hawaiian language.

Kamel
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Oh well, its easier to find them by calling them polespears lol

crashdive123
07-16-2012, 10:58 PM
You may be right Kamel. I bought all of mine while living in Hawaii, and it's what all of the Hawaiians in the dive shops called them. Whatever they are called - they are a very efficient way to fish.

Rick
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
At least it wasn't the Hawaiian Good Luck symbol.

Kamel
07-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Yah I was watching videos of polespear fishing and it looks great! im excited.

crashdive123
07-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh, and if you get one....and you want to test it.....go outside. It will go right through the cheap sofa in the living room - through two pieces of drywall - and scare the dog food out of one of your roommates that was lying down in his bed as the three prongs miss him by inches........don't ask me how I know.

Kamel
07-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha will do. Hopefully find one locally instead of online. I found the 5 prong spear tips for them at gander MTN but im not handy enough right now to make my own.