PDA

View Full Version : rope tieing

WildGoth
06-30-2007, 01:48 AM
does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to make differnt knots and rope tieing techniques

Tony uk
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I have a book on rope works which a find usefull, i'll try and get some pics out of it :)

trax
07-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Best information I've seen available on line for using ropes and the appropriate knots, also, animated instructions. You can't go wrong.

www.animatedknots.com/

WildGoth
07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
thanks for the site

wareagle69
07-28-2007, 03:02 PM
good site trax

spiritman
07-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Because I have never seen anything even talking about tying a bowline like this I will have to describe it. Hold the rope in your left hand with enough slack so you swing the end around your back and catch it so you have the end in your right hand with the rope around your body. Now take your right hand and go over the top of the rope that's between your left hand and your body and go underneath and around it towards you, this will wrap your wrist up but thats what you want. All this time you have never let go of either end. Now you have to take the end thats in your right hand above the twist you just made and pass it with just your fingers of your right hand behind the rope your holding in your left and pass it behind from the right to left, and don't drop it or you'll have to start over. Now just pull your right hand out without letting go of the end and you'll have a bowline. You don't have to hold the rope with your left hand, but the point is what if you were holding onto a cliff and your buddy just threw you a rope, or in the water or any situation where you have to be holding the rope with one hand at all times.

Sarge47
07-29-2007, 09:47 AM
does anyone have pictures and instructions on how to make differnt knots and rope tieing techniques

I like "The Boy Scout Handbook for some of the simpler knots. The Bowline is included because it's more of a "fixed loop" that's used to help in pulling people out of dangerous situations. A great way to learn to tie these knots is to visit a local Boy Scout troop in your area and ask them to teach you. It will also help in raising the "self-esteem" of the young boys as well. Nothing beats "hands-on" learning!

trax
07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I was kind of surprised by that site, whoever did made a good job of it. I can recall anytime in my life when someone showed me how to do a knot , it's always the same. This rapid fire patter while they whip the rope around, "It's easy see? You go under here, over to the right, down and around twice, back up and through and you've got it. Got it?" and I was always left kind of going "uhhhhhhh, ok" I've had lots of chances to learn some of the basic ones over the years though, and have found that one goes back to the same ones over and over again. I found out what some of them are called by viewing the site. My bad for getting kicked out of cubscouts when I was 8.LOL

Go Wolfpack!

Strider
07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
The old boyscout handbooks are really good for simple knots, I agree with sarge on that. You can also get books all about knots... look in the boating section of stores, sometimes they have them... boats use all sorta of knots and methods.

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
For my money, the SAS survival handbook has a good section on knots.

A word of caution though, unless you're really into knots like decorative knots or macrame or something, treat them like most self defense practices - Find a few that you can do well, and stick with them. There are thousands of knots, and usually several variations of those knots.

trax
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Everyone in this thread is male, don't any of the ladies get knotty?:D :D :D

Darkevs
04-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I know this is an old thread, but lately I have gotten into knotting. I needed to learn how to do a monkey fist so i could make rope toys for my dogs..and then it just spiralled. :) Such a cool hobby and so many useful knots for everyday life.

Best book.................
The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford Warren Ashley.

oh yah....I am a Knotty Lady! :)