PDA

View Full Version : How to proceed to learn more Survival daily.

jhnnymwr75
07-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I've compiling a list of what I and hopefully others also, can further expand there survival knowledge. So far what I have are, Books, Websites/Forums, YouTube, Elders or Relatives/Friends, Local Classes, and probably the best one Hands on Survival/Camping. If you have any other idea to add to the list, it would be much appreciated.
Also I would like to break down into categories of what are good to know in a survival situation. This so far compiles of Plants (Medicinal and Nutritional), Shelter (Building and Improving), Water Purification, Fire crafting, Trapping and Gathering, Hunting, How to make Cordage, How to make an edged tool, Predicting weather (knowing the difference between nimbus and cumulus clouds, etc.) First Aid, Basic Cooking, Calming exercises (Deep Breathing, 'Happy Place', etc.). Those are all I got, and once again any additions will be much appreciated.

***And sorry if someone has posted something similar or exact to this, I could not find anything in the search bar. I'm not much of a detective.

hunter63
07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Might want to check out this sticky......

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?6837-What-Do-I-Need-To-Survive-in-the-Wild

Also you might want to make your self a list, of what you already know, then prioritize, on what you consider is the most important.

Rick
07-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Here's a list for you. See the left margin.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp1.php

Wildthang
07-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Well before you get to the point of taking off into the wilderness, learn how to use a compass and navigate. There are plenty of threads in this forum and on the internet. That is one of the first skills of many that you will need.

jhnnymwr75
07-08-2012, 02:57 PM
yeah, i've read threw the whole website and learned all that I can. I was didn't learn enough on a daily basis about survival, and I know people who want to get into learning these kind of things and I wanted to help them as much as possible. Seeing I don't have much free time, I thought I would just get a list of things they could do to further expand there knowledge.

crashdive123
07-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Seeing I don't have much free time, I thought I would just get a list of things they could do to further expand there knowledge.

Survival ain't about being quick and easy. There is no "quick fix" when it comes to survival. It takes dedication to learning, preparing and practicing. While I understand that in today's society people "want it now", this does not fit that mold. You may have heard the expression - "anything worth doing is worth doing right" - well if one's safety and survival is important enough, then you MAKE the time.

wildWoman
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Well, pick one item from your list each day or each week and practice. Books and lists and theoretical knowledge is nice, but it doesn't mean you actually know how to do stuff. So practice.

Sarge47
07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
The internet, books and stuff only teach you what you go out into the field to learn. The Boy Scouts can do that so you can as well. You don't need a ton of info, most of it's redundant anyway. Just one good book on outdoor skills will do. You learn those and you should be okay. :cool2:

hunter63
07-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Check your phone, might be an app for that.........Just kidding, it just takes time.........

Rick
07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
So let me get this straight...you're putting together a how to list even though you haven't done it? Hmmm. It might be that you don't know what you don't know.

intothenew
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Check your phone, might be an app for that.........Just kidding, it just takes time.........

I'm not, kidding that is. There are several apps that I think are excellent, and they have certainly caught the attention of the younger ones. One really good one is Whatknot, free and filled with hundreds of knots and step by step instructions. There are plant and animal identification apps, Steve Brill's "Wild edibles", the SAS survival guide, the FM 21-76 manual, cooking, gardening, packing, first aid, on and on and on. Apps can be an incredible resource, you can have a considerable library on a phone. If you carry a smart phone, to deny yourself that resource is derelict. Carrying any item and not knowing how to use it to the fullest is derelict.

You can read at lunch, on the bus trip home, waiting at the doctor/dentist, etc. Better yet, you can practice knots under those same circumstances if you will carry a some cordage. Even better, you can refer to it in the field for plant and animal ID.

But, just as a hard copy library, it is of little benefit unless you actually practice the crafts. But, better than a hardcopy library, mine would not fit in the bed of a pickup. I would love to have access my library around every campfire, in every doctor's office, on every field trip, on every plane trip............

hunter63
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
One must not confuse information for knowlage.......I don't like depending on a battery.

aflineman
07-08-2012, 04:35 PM
It takes time day to day, and always evolves. Some things that used to work well, don't work for the moment. Seasons change, terrain changes, heck even a person's body changes. It is not something that you take one class, read a book, or go out one time. Sometimes it can be a simple as a walk through the local park to spot what you could eat. Sometimes it is a week dedicated to spending time out. Sometimes it is a hunting trip that takes a bit longer than you figured. Learning as much as you can, for as long as you can, is a good part of the fun of life.

intothenew
07-08-2012, 04:39 PM
One must not confuse information for knowlage.......I don't like depending on a battery.

No flashlight? No radio?

....................But, just as a hard copy library, it is of little benefit unless you actually practice the crafts.............

hunter63
07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
No flashlight? No radio?

Yeah, they are nice, but not necessary......World got away with out them for along time, longer than when they had them.

kyratshooter
07-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Anyone have any time ratio data on how much time we spend on the computer compared to time with boots in the field?

One has not learned anything until they have accomplished the physical task being studied.

It is a problem in most fields, where ametuers read a historical novel, comic book or see a movie and consider themselves experts.

In the field of wilderness skills it results in dead bodies on the mountainside.

Rick
07-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Why do you do this to me? I'll get started on my gazintas and let you know. Rations are a strong suite of mine. We are talkin' rations, right?

natertot
07-08-2012, 09:01 PM
It takes practice and patience. When I first came to WSF, I couldn't make a fire to save my life.....literally! I read some posts and watched a few linked videos. I went out and tried some stuff. Took pics and posted them and got feedback which helped tons. Now I can build a fire in dry conditions without an issue. Wet fires I can get way more often then not, still needs a little work. Last winter was so mild I couldn't try a snow fire. I hope next winter I get some chances. The thing is to get out there and try. Come back here with your questions after a trial and get feedback. You are fortunate to tap into the minds of some pretty good and experienced people.

Just don't tap into Rick's, unless you like silly putty! :eyepoke:

kyratshooter
07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
"We must endevor to persevere!"

crashdive123
07-08-2012, 09:40 PM
I love preserves. Strawberry is my favorite.

Winter
07-09-2012, 12:04 AM
There's no way to learn it behind a keyboard.

Rick
07-09-2012, 07:56 AM
If preserves are part of the rations count me in.

hunter63
07-09-2012, 11:09 AM
"We must endevor to persevere!"

I love that guy..........Him and Mr Wilson......

jhnnymwr75
07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
yeah, I understand I typed that very awkwardly. I know how to do all of this, and I do make time to go out and help them learn. But my work schedule is almost opposite of theirs. But I undestand you can't learn really anything behind a keyboard, I was just trying get the seed in the brain so the tree could grow.

wildWoman
07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I know how to do all of this, and I do make time to go out and help them learn. But my work schedule is almost opposite of theirs.

It's great you make this effort, but if those people you're talking about are interested in learning more skills, it's their responsibility to take the time and practice. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

brotherjohn
07-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm thinking the more skills you have the less luck you need.

Rick
07-09-2012, 09:48 PM
Skills and knowledge are great things but all it takes is a bit of bad luck and it doesn't matter how smart or good you are. Bad luck can put you in jeopardy before you know it.

natertot
07-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Skills and knowledge are great things but all it takes is a bit of bad luck and it doesn't matter how smart or good you are. Bad luck can put you in jeopardy before you know it.

YEP! :thumbs_up:

Sarge47
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Good luck with that! :cowboy:

BENESSE
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Thing is, you can never depend on luck but you can certainly depend on your skills...as much as you can depend on anything these days.

Rick
07-10-2012, 03:59 AM
Also true. Probably the other side of the coin thingy.

BENESSE
07-10-2012, 06:54 AM
The only time I observed people counting on getting lucky is men in bars. And we know how well that works.

Rick
07-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Not fair. Not fair at all. You have to rely on luck there. Skill and knowledge don't work on women. It's like trying to hunt unicorns.

"Are you sure this will work, Mike. They look like high class women."
"Trust me. I know what I'm doin'."
"Like the time you poured gas down the carb and she backfired?"
"That was an accident."
"Or the time you shot the bottom out of the boat because you mistook that big nightcrawler for a snake?"
"Are we huntin' or talkin'?"
"I don't think the insurance guy really bought the story about the fuel leak."
"Shut....up."
"Okay. (Shrug). Maybe we'll get lucky."

BENESSE
07-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Not fair. Not fair at all. You have to rely on luck there. Skill and knowledge don't work on women. It's like trying to hunt unicorns.

Let's ax Wildthang about it, seeing that he might be somewhat of an expert on the matter.
Maybe he got lucky the first time...but the second? I don't know...

Rick
07-10-2012, 09:27 AM
It's either luck or pity. There's just not much else to choose from. I go with pity a lot.

kyratshooter
07-10-2012, 09:51 AM
I just crossed over to the prayer side, cause if it it this groups skills or luck either one...

We're all gonna' frekin' die!

BENESSE
07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
We're all gonna' frekin' die!

NOW you tell me, after I spent all my money on preps?!#@&$!
Jeez...

BornthatWay
07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Well let's face it we are all gonna die wether it is survival or not. But let us hope that knowledge keeps us from dyin a painful unnecessary death.

hunter63
07-10-2012, 10:38 AM

It might tip the scales a tad, but.....

Throughout the years I have noticed that " Murphy" rides with you at all times......."shut happens"

BornthatWay
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah Murphy is a real SOB!

Rick
07-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Rides with me?! I think half the time he's driving.