PDA

View Full Version : Unread threads being marked as read

bulrush
02-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I frequent some other forums which appear to use the same software as this forum, but this forum appears to work differently. I will come to a forum and see my threads that have unread messages in bold (sounds normal to me). I will not read those threads, go back to the main forum page (or go to a website), then return to the same forum hours later, and the unread threads are no longer bold.

I looked at my settings and did not see anything like "automatically mark threads as read". What could be going on here? If I don't read the thread I still want it to stay bold so I can come back to it later.

Sourdough
02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Ditto: and I hit "new posts", and some times it works and sometimes not. What is with that????

Rick
02-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Bulrush - This is a table setting the owner has to set. Once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (called the session timeout) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. The default is 900 seconds but I don't know what it's set at on here. I suspect it's about that long. I see the same thing when I wander off as well. Checking the remember me box at log in does not impact this feature.

Sourdough
02-28-2008, 10:41 AM
RICK, Sometimes the "new Posts" will show or offer me all threads that had posts in the last 24 hours. I like when that comes up. Can I adjust how often I have this option???

bulrush
02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I would like to turn off that "feature" and have all threads containing unread messages remain bold. Is this possible at the user or system level? Or any level?

It simply is not possible to see which threads I have not read using the current system.

Rick
02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Bulrush - You don't have that option. I don't understand why you can't see the new threads. The new ones are in bold until you read them then they revert to standard text. The only time you will loose new threads being in bold is if you are inactive for 15 minutes (or whatever Chris has the table set at) or you actually read the thread.

Hopeak - In the upper right hand corner there is a drop box called Quick Links. Click on that and you have the option of Today's Posts.

bulrush
02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
My concern was I do not want unread/bold threads to automatically become read/unbold. I wan to know, a few hours later, which threads I have not read. Is it possible to change the "session timeout" to never timeout and never mark threads read?

Rick
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
There are a couple of other options but they are both more server and space intensive than the way it is currently set. Chris could extend the time frame but may have a reason it's set where it is. I've PM'd him and asked him to take a look at this thread to make certain I haven't overlooked something. He may have other suggestions to offer as well.

Chris
02-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Rick is right. It is just the way the system is.

If you want to remind yourself to read a thread later you could always subscribe to it.

Assassin Pilot
02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree with the original post. I would like it to mark all threads w/ unread posts as bold. But if it is for money purposes, I suppose it is Chris's choice. I wouldn't think it would be that hard though, but I guess it is. Oh well.

Rick
02-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Pssssst, AP - Unread messages ARE in bold.