PDA

View Full Version : My first failure.

Winnie
06-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Had a big canning session today, got some meatballs, cubed braising steak and chilli all processed and two jars have thus far failed to seal, these are my first failures since I started canning again. Bit annoying, it was the beef that failed. I'm having steak pie for tea tomorrow........ and either curry or stew the day after.

crashdive123
06-30-2012, 06:16 PM
A failure to seal is not necessarily a bad thing.....You'll be eating well for a bit.

1stimestar
06-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Two out of how many? I say your odds are probably pretty good.

Rick
06-30-2012, 07:10 PM
You probably know this but the failures I've had I've either filled the jar too full of liquid and it boiled out or I failed to wipe the jar lip prior to putting the lids on. But as Crash said, failures aren't necessarily failures.

Winnie
07-01-2012, 03:36 AM
I think you are right, Rick. It's probably failure to wipe the lip properly, there was no boiling out although I'm still pretty new to pressure canning. And yep I'm looking forward to pie tonight.

oldtrap59
07-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I agree with the idea that canning failures(so called) really aren't failures at all. We've had some troubles here this season with wide mouth lids buckling in the pressure canner.( 3 out of about 70) We had lids left over from last year But had to buy a few. The failures were all the new lids we bought. Not sure but all the same brand, however the new ones seemed a bit lighter. I guess even canning lids are under bottom line pressure. We've to this point put up about 150 jars of veggies and fruit and another 50+ bags in the freezer. Got stuff in the garden early this year so we're about done till the fall garden and hunting season come along. Good luck to all in their canning endevours.

Oldtrap

Winnie
07-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Oh lordy! Your storage makes my efforts seem quite piddly. I thought I'd done well putting up 30 jars of assorted stuff this season!

Solar Geek
07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Recipe for the steak pie?

Winnie
07-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Easy peasy. I recipe pastry (enough for double crust pie) I jar cubed braising Steak I think you might call it chuck/flank? I brown the meat so add stock before canning. One onion chopped. 1-2tsp cornflour(cornstarch?) Line pie plate with pastry reserving enough for the lid. Fry onion until soft and transluscent add jar of beef and cornflour bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes stirring until gravy is thick, adjust seasoning to your taste. Pour into pie shell and cover with rest of pastry brush with milk or beaten egg. Bake at 180C for about 30-40minutues until golden brown. Enjoy. I did!

oldtrap59
07-01-2012, 06:16 PM
30 jars not bad Winnie. That's at least part of 30 meals that your ahead of. I see you mention meatballs. The wife makes something called hamballs. I love em. Have to find out from her just how she makes em. I know that she uses ground ham and ground sauage but not sure about the spices. We also make meat pie pretty much as you do, but we usually use rabbit, chicken,wild hog or deer. Also add some canned carrots ad taters. Making me hungry. :>)

Oldtrap

Rick
07-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Winnie - Mom made the very same recipe but added cut up potatoes to the pie. She called it steak and onion pie. It was heaven.

Winnie
07-02-2012, 04:15 AM
That pie recipe is pretty much universal. My Mum used to add potato too.

While I have everyone's attention. Can I can Sausages? Like these http://limartomariawati.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/chipolata-sausage.html There's a chap on the market who makes them from his own Pigs. If so, would it be best to brown them first.

Rick
07-02-2012, 06:56 AM
I don't know where she got the recipe but suspect from my dad. He was stationed in England for several months prior to the invasion and I'll bet more than one recipe was carried or sent home by the boys.

Winnie
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
I bet, Some of my older cousins had their first experience of Peanut Butter during the war! I've no doubt recipes were exchanged. Food is a universal language.

wildWoman
07-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Can I can Sausages?

Hi Winnie, sounds like you're doing great with the canning!
We've never canned sausage (apart from a trial of making and canning liver sausage which didn't come out particularly tasty), but I'm sure you can - after all, stores sell cans of wieners.

Rick
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM
I've canned brats which are a cousin of sausages so I see no reason that sausages can't be canned. I par boiled the brats because they are not cooked then canned them as you would any other meat. If your sausage is raw then cook it the way you like it and can away.

Winnie
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Righto! I'll brown them first and then can them in stock. I'll have to get to the market early, he's a very popular stall holder!