PDA

View Full Version : Where to go in the USA for wilderness survival (for 3 months)

Survivalist
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
Greetings readers,

I've been wanting to go out in the wilderness somewhere in the USA for a long time, I know how to stay out there with the tools I'm bringing, but I don't know where in the USA is the best place to go. After considering what is ideal for outdoor survival I've come up with the following.

Things I'm looking for:

Nice climate 50F - 90F. Like the weather in Virginia during the summer.

Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping.

Rich Eco system, lots of trees and rivers.

Far away from any man-made structures, and people (50+ Miles) (AKA, Remote)

I hope someone has a good location, above is ideal, and 100% needed.

I'm looking for a challenge, and something to get away from it all for 3 months.
So don't post if you're trying to convince me otherwise ha ha.

I still have a while till I do this, but being prepared along with planning are the first two things to get done.

I'll be taking some courses and reading books on medical uses for plants, edible plants. Including basic and complex outdoor survival methods.

If anyone has any suggestions on this topic, that would be great and very much appreciated. The more information the better!

Thank you very much for reading!
--
Survivalist.

finallyME
06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
High Alpine and Desert aren't good. That leaves out Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Idaho, Wyoming. You might find a place in Texas, but it will be on private land, so you will have to pay someone. BLM and NF have a 2 week time limit for one place, so you will have to move every 2 weeks or so.

Not to sound harsh or anything, but generally people who know how, also know where. Just sayin.....

jcullen24
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Washington State, Oregon.

Get a Miner's Permit.

Rick
06-22-2012, 11:19 AM
There is no place you can stay for 3 months without paying for it or getting permission from the land owner. Since you didn't give us information on age, skills, etc. I'll just give you this link to read through.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?6837-What-Do-I-Need-To-Survive-in-the-Wild

kyratshooter
06-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Greetings readers,

I'm looking for a challenge, and something to get away from it all for 3 months.
So don't post if you're trying to convince me otherwise ha ha.
Survivalist.

When on Gods Earth will we get a sticky we can simply link this eternal loop in the space time continuium into? The "run away to the wilderness" thread should be required reading, with a quiz, before anyone can register on this forum!

So, you want only positive feedback with no connection to reality!! What are you about 12? Bet you've been told you were special and could do anything you set you mind too for your whole life havn't you? Got a bunch of "participation trophies" on a shelf in your bedroom for running around with your brain in neutral I'll bet.

You came to the wrong place.

Each section of the nation has these places called "wilderness areas" or sometimes called "hiking trails". You, the well studied and experienced survivalist, never heard of these places, correct?

Two predominant ones that meet each of your qualifications in at least one of their sections at some point in the weather cycle are the Appalation Trail (it's been in use nearly 100 years now and you never heard of it) and in the western U.S. the Pacific Coast Trail.

Both of these locations are specifically designed for people that want to get away from it all for 2 or 3 months. You can get as remote as you wish. On some sections of the Pacific Coast trail you will not see other humans for days on end. that trail streches from Mexico to Canada.

The AT streches from Georgia to Maine. That means that if you live on the east coast you are within 3 hours drive. I accessed it by buss and came home by buss just a few years ago. Did not even need a car to access the trail. Stayed in it from June, when school let out, till August when it kicked back up.

Several states in the eastern U.S. have protected wilderness areas which are maintained just for your use. Some are quite large. The Daniel Boone National Forest runs from the Tennessee border north completely across Kentucky to the Ohio River. If you jump across the river you have access to halfway up Ohio. This same woods streches unbroken in to West VA, though that part is privately owned.

You do not say where you live, or how old you are, but if you live east of the Mississippi River and have a driver's liscense you will be within a 6 hour drive of one or more of these stated locations. They were placed in the locations where they are just for this reason, reasonable access of the major part of the U.S. population to wilderness areas. There was a time when that was considered a necessity.

Anyone with enough experience to survive in these areas would already know this information. Stay home and keep studying so the SAR people are not tasked with finding or identifying another body in the woods.

If you, go as you have stated you positively will, let us know when you leave and when you give up and scurry back to the airconditioning and comfort of the nearest McDonalds. We need the information for the payoff of the bets laid down on your length of stay.

You see, we get two or three of these querries each week. If everyone that asked us this same question actually went to the woods the wilderness areas of the world would be very heavily populated indeed.

Sourdough
06-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Interior Alaska in the summer.

hunter63
06-22-2012, 12:03 PM
If you are serious about this.....contact each state, you mentioned Virgina?.....Did you contact their DNR or even tourist agencies?.....About your desires?

Have you laid out a plan?...... if so, you need to lay it out for us so you can get meaningful answers.......Comes under the heading of doing your homework.

Are you asking if any of us has land that we allow people to play on, for no money?......Yes?/.No?,... outfitters charge for use of their posesions, be it land, gear, knowlage.......

Rick
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Sorry, KY. He said 50 miles from people. Neither the AT nor PCT qualify. You're also making the assumption they would read it before posting the question. That's the whole reason I did the link I gave so I can just link them to a sticky. And it's not personal so go sit in the shade with some sweet tea, your .22 and a raccoon call.

Survival - We get about 3-4 of these posts a week. Little or no information and want to know where to go or what to take, which is a red flag about their skills and knowledge.

Seniorman
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
SURVIVALIST - " ... Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping."

Don't forget you'll be required to have a hunting license, a fishing license, and a trapping license, to "live off the land," and during the "pleasant weather" season, hunting seasons are closed for big game and most small game.

Game Wardens frown severely at poachers. If a person thinks he can poach all the game he wants and when the Game Warden comes around, just hide somewhere, do a search for one "Claude Dallas."

Seems a lot of the people who just want to "get away" and live a "life of freedom," in the Great Outdoors, etc., have watched "Jeremiah Johnson" once too often.

Here in Idaho, there exists the largest wilderness area in the United States, the River Of No Return Wilderness. I've done a lot of hiking and hunting in it. No matter its huge size, there is no place in it where one could be 50 miles away from roads and camps and people. Best of luck if you try it, but you'd be better off to go out in the boonies for three or four days and find out if three months would be to your liking.

S.M.

Sarge47
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
He lost me with the title of the thread and his screen name. Sorry "Survivalist," I don't know of any places like that. However, where ever you go, make sure you have those organ-doner cards filled out! :whistling:

doug1980
06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Troll??????

Sarge47
06-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Troll??????Could be, or maybe just somebody who's:

A.) Trying to "get away from it all."

B.) OD'd on too much Bear Grylls.

C.) Thinks that the definition of the term "survival" means "another form of camping."

The truth is, without a proper intro or something in their profile, we don't have any idea who we're responding too. It could be a teenager who's having trouble at home, an older, but immature, adult, or a male or female, take your pick. We have no idea of the experience level of said person, but we do know that what they are wanting is unrealistic. We also know that they're only going to listen to the answers that they want and like. I have made a vow to never again call people like this "numpties," but it's a difficult vow to keep, let me tell you.

JPGreco
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Central Park after nightfall....

crashdive123
06-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Survivalist - since you are currently posting from Thailand - you are going to have to provide a whole lot more information in order to receive any meaningful advice.

Warheit
06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Boundary Waters.

Rick
06-22-2012, 03:44 PM
He can't do boundary water. Every square inch is either National Park, National Forest or Provincial Park. Besides, it's inside the 50 mile unsafe limit.

hunter63
06-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Door sign says "wet paint" avoid it or just go ahead and push it open....you know you are gonna get sticky..... aw man........

Warheit
06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
He can't do boundary water. Every square inch is either National Park, National Forest or Provincial Park. Besides, it's inside the 50 mile unsafe limit.

Sometimes gangsters like Survivalist just gotta bang they hammers! (A saying me and my buddies have, not calling him a "gangster" pejoratively -- :P) I hope he figures it out. He has a lot of restrictions and guideliness and I don't think I can help offer him advice.

ANYHOO -- Stay safe, Survivalist! Keep us posted!

finallyME
06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Things I'm looking for:

Nice climate 50F - 90F. Like the weather in Virginia during the summer.

Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping.

Rich Eco system, lots of trees and rivers.

Far away from any man-made structures, and people (50+ Miles) (AKA, Remote)

I know places in the desert that you can be 50 miles away from people and buildings, but then it is the desert, not a rich eco-system with lots of trees and rivers. Canada might work, but it isn't in the US. Alaska is probably your best bet. But then it probably doesn't have summer temps like those in Virginia. Most places with a rich eco system with lots of trees and rivers, and a nice climate, also have people. People like to go a live or recreate in those places. The places that people aren't usually have a reason for this.

gryffynklm
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
50 miles or 50 yards from civilization. If you want to "go surviving" it shouldn't matter. If you can't resist the temptation to avoid and do without the modern available resources 50 yards away, 50 miles can be a real mess when you actually do need them.

Let us know how your planning goes and take pictures.

Desert Rat!
06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
50 miles or 50 yards from civilization. If you want to "go surviving" it shouldn't matter. If you can't resist the temptation to avoid and do without the modern available resources 50 yards away, 50 miles can be a real mess when you actually do need them.

Let us know how your planning goes and take pictures. What this man says.

Survivalist
06-23-2012, 02:23 AM
Greetings,

After Reading post on restrictions to hunting, fishing etc...

When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons
I'm looking for, but in the USA all of them are taken up?

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much. Of course its so humid, and everything on the ground wants to eat you.

Nice thing about Thailand and Cambodia is that not even the government cares if you want to survive in the wilderness.
You don't have to worry about restrictions at all. Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words, Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need.
You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.
And as far as an "Intro" goes. This topic will remain just for a good location. Not my life story.

Also, as some of you are saying that if I have the skills to do this, then I should already know the location...
I don't live in America, I travel to much to have an immense geographical and ecological understanding of the country...
I don't have access to Americans, so I can't ask you people in person. Along the internet... it has come up short on trying find a good spot. Not reliable at all. The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.

I picked the USA because I like the environment and vast variations of landscape, if I did not like one area I could go to a different state, instead of a different country.

Europe has way to many restrictions on what I'm planning on doing.

I don't care about a "fee" to do this in a location, under $1000 would be nice.
So would you recommend a private or government owned land?

Maybe private, because I can deal with the private owner in person?

the Appalachian trail sounds nice, but how are the hunting/fishing laws? (sounds like the best so far)

I should have added though, that I'm planning on taking this trip January - August. (2013)

Central Alaska was pretty warm during July, but after that it seems to get pretty cold, ideas?

Thanks again and keep posting!

crashdive123
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need.
You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.

Likewise - good luck should be all the advice you need.

1stimestar
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Greetings,

When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much. Of course its so humid, and everything on the ground wants to eat you.

Nice thing about Thailand and Cambodia is that not even the government cares if you want to survive in the wilderness.
You don't have to worry about restrictions at all. Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words, Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

And as far as an "Intro" goes. This topic will remain just for a good location. Not my life story.

Also, as some of you are saying that if I have the skills to do this, then I should already know the location...
I don't live in America, I travel to much to have an immense geographical and ecological understanding of the country...
I don't have access to Americans, so I can't ask you people in person. Along the internet... it has come up short on trying find a good spot. Not reliable at all. The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.

I picked the USA because I like the environment and vast variations of landscape, if I did not like one area I could go to a different state, instead of a different country.

the Appalachian trail sounds nice, but how are the hunting/fishing laws? (sounds like the best so far)

I should have added though, that I'm planning on taking this trip January - August. (2013)

Central Alaska was pretty warm during July, but after that it seems to get pretty cold, ideas?

You could do interior Alaska in July and August but no way could you do it in Jan, Feb. and probably March.

Sarge47
06-23-2012, 09:31 AM
When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons I'm looking for, but in the USA all of them are taken up?

We have many more government restrictions since 9-1-1; not to mention the screening that someone coming from the country that you would be coming from would probably have to go through. :wacko:

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much.

Really? And what went wrong that you had to survive it? :confused1:

Well, our government understands that "survival" means that you are in a "life or death" situation and would have no problem with you doing that...however, playing "Man vs. Wild" is something else again. :sneaky2:

Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words...

I'll leave this for the Canadian members to answer, I have no clue.

Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

See above.

As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need. You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.

This was the WRONG thing to post! Smart-Arse comments will not win you any friends on this site! To "ASSUME" anything is to "make an A*S out of YOU and ME! "A*S/U/ME, remember? :angermanagement:

Well, this was your 2nd "smart-arse" remark, and it just damaged your credibility here. Nobody asked for your life story bud, just some basic info that would help us know who we're talking to. I'm beginning to think that you're a Troll, and my finger is inching over to the "ban" button. Tread carefully. Intro 1st, info 2nd, that's a fair trade if you ask me. :cool2:

The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.

Which you're not going to get by insulting us! :angermanagement:

Each State has it's own regulations, you can contact them for that info via the internet! :innocent:

Yeah? Wait until you research the USA!

Without knowing more about you I decline to answer. :cool2:

You just answered your own question, however, please remember to answer any questions that the landowner may ask, truthfully and politely. Smart-arse comments, like those you've given us, will, more than likely, be counter-productive to what you want to do. :cool2:

You're going to have to do your own homework by contacting each state and finding out what their "non-resident" licenses cost. Also, if you are not either a natuarl-born or naturlized citizen of the USA, then that might also work against you!

Yes! It DOES get pretty cold because it's so close to the North pole! I would advise to take plenty of extra-warm clothing and sleeping gear unless you REALLY want to experience a TRUE survival situation! :cold:

No problem! :cool2:

Warheit
06-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Greetings,

Best of luck on your adventures when you get to America! Sounds like you have some diverse experiences in many different places.

Are you trying to improve some of your skills in any sort of fashion? Certain places and scenarios might be better challenges for you -- based off of what your end game/goals may be. Is there anything in particular that you are trying to learn or gain from this experience? At any rate, I respect your privacy and you as a person. I can understand your reasons for not telling us certain things. Some of us just like to ask around here to give better advice and tailor it to the person, ya know?

Here is a good website for information on the Appalachian Trail. Basic rules and regulations: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/appalachian-trail-rules-regulations-63252.html

If there is anything else we can help you with, we will leave the light on for ya!

johnathanwinter
06-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Louisiana Bayou is what i would choose if i were you.

Sarge47
06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Here's some info on the 3 extensive hiking trails that are available to Hikers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail

Just to show you how prepared you're going to have to be, each trail system covers several states, so you would need a non-resident fishing license for each state that you are planning on fishing in. Then, most states now have strict "catch and release" laws in effect for many of their fishing areas, you would need to be informed on that as well. Be advised that illegal fishing can solve your food and shelter needs for quite some time as American jails do feed inmates. Then there may be a problem with the fact that you're not a U.S. Citizen. I have no info on that at the moment, however you would need to check that out as well. Also look into the "leave no trace" requirements for camping. Remember, just because you term what you want to do as "surviving," that is not how Government Forest Rangers look at it. If you are not in a bad situation then you are just "hiking and camping." :sailor:

Winter
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Take a look at southeast Alaska.

gryffynklm
06-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Keep an eye on burn bans as well. It seems to be a hot topic in several regions of the us right now. That might effect your choice on fuel and stove choices.

Sarge47
06-24-2012, 05:33 PM
I almost forgot, many of the primitive woods here are harboring illegal drug labs set up by Meth dealers so the Feds keep a close eye out for them as well. Just a heads-up. :detective:

Sarge47
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
I almost forgot, many of the primitive woods here are harboring illegal drug labs set up by Meth dealers so the Feds keep a close eye out for them as well. Just a heads-up. :detective:
Here's a lot more info on the problems that government officers are facing and cracking down on here in the states:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Illegal+meth+labs+in+the+woods&oq=Illegal+meth+labs+in+the+woods&aq=f&aqi=q-A4&aql=&gs_l=hp.12..33i29l4.685.39819.0.41363.32.32.0.0.0. 0.269.4976.0j28j4.32.0.cish..0.0.NHUZvdABx00&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ec207de192425fcb&biw=1024&bih=653 :nono:

finallyME
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
The US will have too many restrictions for you. I would look at Australia. Or, Africa.

Batch
06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
You have over 2.75 million acres of wilderness down here. If you wanted to live down here you could.

Survivalist
06-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Greetings,

After looking at restrictions on states hunting/trapping laws, Alaska is by far the easiest.

I'll probably go about 50 miles North-West of Fairbanks.

Since "1stimestar" Recommended I go in July and August, I'll be going then.

If you guys have any tips for Alaska that would be great.

Thanks again, and keep posting!

pete lynch
06-26-2012, 04:56 AM
After watching 1stimestar's Thriller video I would take a bug head net with me.

Sarge47
06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Greetings,

After looking at restrictions on states hunting/trapping laws, Alaska is by far the easiest.

Yeah, you're probably right. For some more input on Alaska you should get a hold of Sourdough. If you go there watch out for Griz! :cool2:

1stimestar
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
A nonresident alien must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide to hunt ANY big game animal, including black bear, brown/grizzly bear, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, muskox, wolf* and wolverine.

Rick
06-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Ya'll have aliens up there too? It'll be Bigfoot next, you just watch.

Woodmaster750
06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey Rick, We have them here in Arizona. HEE HEE. I also get a kick out of some of the so called survivalist on here when they say if you want to learn to survive don't go to Az. , Co. , Nm., and so on. If your learning to survive learn to survive in all places, You never know where your flight in life will put you. SEMPER FI.

Woodmaster750
06-26-2012, 04:16 PM
My wife says to tell some of you if you want to learn to survive go live in a orphanage in CHINA. HEEEEHAWWWWW. She got her .02 in.....!

1stimestar
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Greetings,

If you want a REAL Alaskan experience, contact my friends at Bush Alaska Expeditions. http://www.bushalaskaexpeditions.com/ I just returned from a trip to their place. To get to their place you park on the river outside of Eagle, AK, they pick you up in their boat, take the boat up/down river a ways, several miles (protecting their exact location), park the boat, take the ATVs up the trail a few miles and there is their hand built cabin.

If you are just going up the Haul Rd. (Dalton Highway) and hike off from there, check out The Milepost at http://milepost.com/.

Rick
06-27-2012, 05:59 AM
The ferry service can get you into some places in S.E. Alaska. Moderate temps with lots of rain as well as flora and fauna.

Winter
06-27-2012, 11:33 AM
The ferry service can get you into some places in S.E. Alaska. Moderate temps with lots of rain as well as flora and fauna.

You can have a float plane drop you off anywhere you want.

crashdive123
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Good luck with that.:innocent:

Rick
06-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Or float planes can drop you off anywhere you want. :blush:

KhonHd
06-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Lots of places in Canada you could do this, but for the temperature you're looking at it would be June, July and August. Which means Blackflies and Mosquitoes (you have to experience then in the Canadian wilderness to understand). If you are not Canadian, I don't think they would let you in if you just said I want to go survive in the wilderness. Perhaps you could find work with a remote outfitter? An arrangement that you work for your lodging and include enough time off to go alone in the woods... A remote outfitter might be a good compromise for what you are looking for...

On the other hand, they probably would let you in if you had a "planed" trip of say Algonquin Park. A person could spend a long time in that park (fishing only, no hunting).

Know of a guy that did this for one week in the park. He showed up a day or two late for his rondivou. When the guy came to pick him up he hardly recognized him due to swellings from bug bites... He now lives here and is taking over the business of the guy who dropped him off and picked him up at the park. BTW the business if primarily dog sledding, he lives off grid... But I digress...

wildWoman
07-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words, Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

No. Plus, here in Canada nature enforces the law where the mounties can't reach:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2012/06/15/north-missing-german-man.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2009/08/28/wardle-yukon-survival-show.html

Neither. Seemingly "wild" Crown land has plenty of users like First Nations, outfitters, miners, tourism guides and trappers, all of whom take an extremely dim view of poachers. As a foreigner, you need to be accompanied by a licensed guide to hunt game.

I can't imagine that there are many land owners who'd be into this sort of experimentation on their land by some stranger from cyberspace, especially someone who doesn't even understand the ecosystem and the laws. People die out in the bush all over Canada every year. Nobody wants a SAR mission on their property.

You'd be much better off going for a two-month holiday to scope things out first, do more research based on your findings, prepare yourself properly for the area and climate, and then take things from there.

sofasurfer
07-04-2012, 04:39 AM
If you want to practice survival why do you have all of the stipulations? When it comes down you will need to get to a safe (wilderness?) area near by and deal with it. If people come near to you from time to time you need to deal with it and be evasive. Isn't the whole idea of survival about making do with what you have and where you are? And as for getting permission to use goverment land...when it comes down they will not give you permission so why ask for it now so you can practice?

sofasurfer
07-04-2012, 05:57 AM
This video talks about authority of local sheriffs over federal government. http://www.countysheriffproject.org/ At 12:45 he begins to tell how feds do not have authority to tell you to get off the federal lands. ITS OUR LAND!

Rick
07-04-2012, 07:27 AM
You can probably show the federal rangers this video when they put the cuffs on. State and local laws do not usurp federal power. There have been numerous Supreme Court decisions to that regard as recently as last month in Arizona vs. United States. The county sheriff can say what he wants but that doesn't make it fact.

Arizona vs. United States

2. The Supremacy Clause gives Congress the power to preempt state law. A statute may contain an express preemption provision,
see, e.g., Chamber of Commerce of United States of America v. Whiting, 563 U. S. ___, ___, but state law must also give way to federal
law in at least two other circumstances. First, States are precluded from regulating conduct in a field that Congress has determined
must be regulated by its exclusive governance. See Gade v. National Solid Wastes Management Assn., 505 U. S. 88, 115. Intent can be inferred from a framework of regulation “so pervasive . . . that Congress left no room for the States to supplement it” or where a “federal
interest is so dominant that the federal system will be assumed to preclude enforcement of state laws on the same subject.” Rice v. Santa Fe Elevator Corp., 331 U. S. 218, 230. Second, state laws are preempted when they conflict with federal law, including when they
stand “as an obstacle to the accomplishment and execution of the full purposes and objectives of Congress.” Hines v. Davidowitz, 312 U. S.
52, 67. Pp. 7–8.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/11-182b5e1.pdf

Seniorman
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
When I watched this show ... (also posted by WildWoman)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/story/2009/08/28/wardle-yukon-survival-show.html

... "I'm gonna go out into the vast Yukon wilderness and survive for three months on my own," I thought it might be interesting. But, within five minutes, when the man starts crying when he watches the float plane fly away, I said to my wife, "Uh oh, this dude is already in serious trouble." Then, although he's hungry, has a shotgun and rifle (Ruger 10/22 .22 LR, it appeared) when he sees a moose and caribou, he says he can't shoot any big game for meat 'cause it's out of season, I said to myself, "This dude ain't gonna make it."

Too many people who have seen the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" eight or ten times, and watched ol' Bear Grylls perform his "survival" antics, think they can go out into the wilderness and do the same thing and have a great time, too. :whistling:

Ahhhh, how easy -- and romantic -- it seems. But unfortunately, the ideal of such an excursion soon crashes head long into reality. That's when a Search & Rescue team has to come and handle things ... if the wannabee "Jeremiah" has not previously "gone under."

Reality beats fantasy everytime.

S.M.

wildWoman
07-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Then, although he's hungry, has a shotgun and rifle (Ruger 10/22 .22 LR, it appeared) when he sees a moose and caribou, he says he can't shoot any big game for meat 'cause it's out of season, I said to myself, "This dude ain't gonna make it."

The Yukon (and the rest of Canada, for that matter) is not an adventure park. It's a criminal offense to hunt game outside the hunting season (and the dude being a Brit, it's my understanding that legally, he couldn't have hunted big game anyway). Sure, if you get lost on a hike, your floatplane crashes or your boat gets swamped and you have no other choice - I guess the authorities won't give you a hard time if you kill a moose to keep yourself from starvation.
BUT this guy (and the same applies to pretty much all "I wanna go and live off the land for x months"-wannabe's out there) artificially put himself into this situation. It was a survival game to him. Why should he (or anyone else) be allowed to poach when he's just playing the "I'm gonna go survive in the wilderness" game?
That just doesn't fly. If I want to play at being a robber, I can assure you that they'll put me into the slammer pretty darn fast when rob the first bank - even though I did it just "for the experience".

Seniorman
07-04-2012, 05:08 PM
BUT this guy (and the same applies to pretty much all "I wanna go and live off the land for x months"-wannabe's out there) artificially put himself into this situation. It was a survival game to him. Why should he (or anyone else) be allowed to poach when he's just playing the "I'm gonna go survive in the wilderness" game?
That just doesn't fly. If I want to play at being a robber, I can assure you that they'll put me into the slammer pretty darn fast when rob the first bank - even though I did it just "for the experience".

Wild Woman, I hope you don't think I was suggesting he poach big game. I certainly was not.

My comment had to do with his lack of common sense and foresight of planning a trip such as his Yukon stay during a time when he could NOT legally kill a big game animal for food in order to survive and increase the odds of finishing his goal. In my very strong opinion, given his "quest," 90 days alone living on a few fish and perhaps a rabbit or so, and leaves, he was doomed from the get go.

I am not aware of Canada's alien non-resident big game game laws. If he were not allowed to hunt and kill a moose, or caribou, or elk, or deer, etc., then he should never have got off the highway.

As a life long hunter, I despise poachers with a passion. :cursing:

S.M.

wildWoman
07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Gotcha :) As you see, I feel rather strongly about this myself ...

henryh1
07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I've read all of your posts on this forum and I'm amazed at how many people want to get away from the all the BS in the world and especially here in the good old US of A. I am also studying different survival sites and learning alot about living off the grid. I don"t know if any of you work in the medical field but it is becoming so ridiculous with all the government regulations, etc. Now there talking about putting more security cameras in the hospital where I work. There even saying it is legal to put security cameras in the rest rooms as long as they don"t show a person from the waste down! Anyway I have a lot of medical training and I was a Navy Corpsman and a Field Medic with the USMC. I'm definetly think about living in the wilderness, and after studying alot of survival situations the past year I am just about ready to do it. A few more supplies, and I am ready. Today is July 4 ( Imagine That ) Independence Day. 2012.
Do any of you have that eerie feeling that something big or bad is about to happen? I live in Southeast Colorado and have been to the Mountains alot and usually get a sad feeling when I have to come back. I have thinking about doing some Gold Prospecting, (for something to do) but I imagine I'll find plenty to do. Does anyone have any good ideas where it is Legal to live in the wilderness? USA - ALASKA - CANADA. Please let me know. I'm single now and no children. Definetly nothing to keep me in the city.
Thank you all again-What a great Forum!!!
hhaglun@aol.com

wildWoman
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm definetly think about living in the wilderness, and after studying alot of survival situations the past year I am just about ready to do it.

Those are two different things, though. For actually living in the bush (=having your longterm, fulltime home there), you don't need all that many survial skills. You probably don't want to be living in a lean-to for the next 40 years, nor would you want solely live on wild plants for veggies. For actually living in the bush, you want to be looking more at homesteading skills with some hunting skills, wild plant knowledge and a good smattering of orienteering and first aid thrown in.
If you can handle loneliness 365 days a year, every year (how do you know that?), the greatest challenge of living in the bush, IMO, is how to still generate an income - because you will still need money, though you can cut it down to a few thousand bucks a year if you can pare down your needs. What will you do for work?

I'd highly recommend to you moving first to a tiny little one-horse town with few services in the middle of nowhere, in the general area that appeals to you. Rent or housesit a simple cabin a dozen miles outside the village - no running water, no electricity. Stay there for a year and hone your homesteading skills, learn the countryside and what kind of land might be available where. Learn how and why people in the area build houses the way they do, how they go about gardening. Find out your talents and what you need to work on. Make new friends - these people may well become somebody you'll call on in an emergency. Because you will have emergencies.
This is not a waste of time, it is serious preparation that no amount of reading, web surfing, watching how-to videos, or taking workshops can make up for. See how you actually like living simply - if after a year you even still enjoy it. Maybe you find out it's not what you really want, and that's fine.

As for what land is available - you can buy land from a private person (often fairly expensive if it's in a remote area) or you'll have to find out what options are out there to lease land, either from a private person or the government (which means you'll still have to pay money plus jump through a number of bureaucratic hoops).

crashdive123
07-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Excellent post WW.

Seniorman
07-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Henry H1, I don't know how far "off the grid" you wish to live, but here is a very interesting video about a husband and wife who have been living far off the grid for many years... and surviving. Both are truly experts in living waaaaaay up north, in a remote cabin. To me, the interesting thing to watch is noting the equipment they have to have to have reasonable comfort and safety, and how they use it to survive. Their skills are apparent or they'd not have lived out in the boonies as long as they have. They do many things to make enough money to get by, including trapping, etc.

Of course you might not want to live as far off the grid as Heimo and Edna Korth, but it still takes lots of good equipment, and many, many skills. Take a look at this video and notice what they have, how they use it, and what it takes for living in a truly remote area in harsh weather conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzrw0jsAJw

If you want to watch another good video featuring Heimo and Edna Korth, and three other couples who "went to the far north" to get away from it all, go to National Geographic's site and search for their video of "Braving Alaska," released in 1993. It follows these four couples and their kids as they live -- and survive -- in Alaska's far north. It ain't easy, by any means.

Both are very interesting videos.

S.M.

wildWoman
07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
a husband and wife who have been living far off the grid for many years... and surviving. Both are truly experts in living waaaaaay up north, in a remote cabin. To me, the interesting thing to watch is noting the equipment they have to have to have reasonable comfort and safety

That's another very good reason to practise living simply before making the jump into the bush, because people's comfort zone, how "rustic" they're actually able to live and stay happy, varies wildly. And the more stuff people need to feel comfy and safe, the more expensive it tends to gets, which in turn puts even greater pressure on the "how the heck do I make money out here" issue.
Another thing to consider is that the more remote the place, the higher the transportation cost. Especially during the set-up and building phase (which tends to end up being quite a few years, even more so for a single person and if you still have to spend time on garnering an income somehow). Things like windows and stoves are awkward to transport, so if you decide to go without road access, make sure you can get out and hopefully transport things in on your own, be it by boat or skidoo. Find out how much flights are and what kind of stuff you can actually haul in the available aircraft.

dizralph
07-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Off the grid, at the bottom of a mountain near a fast moving river.

Sarge47
07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
You only go "survivin'" when things go bad. Otherwise you're either minimilist camping or extreme camping. :smartass:

1stimestar
07-07-2012, 10:07 PM
You only go "survivin'" when things go bad. Otherwise you're either minimilist camping or extreme camping. :smartass:

Yea that. +1