PDA

View Full Version : Child Safe Mouse Trap

finallyME
06-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Here is something I stumbled upon. I inadvertently discovered that an empty 5 gallon bucket makes a great mouse trap. Just put some bait in the bottom and put the bucket up against something that the mouse can climb on to get to the top. The mouse will fall in to get the bait, and then be unable to jump out. Here is a video I made showing it.

http://youtu.be/d8exofZrIf8

hunter63
06-21-2012, 05:19 PM
LOL, LOL......Those plastic garbage cans with the flip either way covers do as well.......

I was sleeping out on the enclosed back porch of my MIL/FIL cottage during deer hunting season one year.....everyone else was still up......I had come off a couple of weeks of 12hr/7 day a week shifts and was dead tired.

What woke me up was a scratching/running sound.....a mouse had fell/jumped in that can had a paper shopping bag in it and was running around the inside.

MIL is deathly afraid of mice....but all the racket was keeping me up........so I got up, picked up and closed the bag to keep the little guy in it.....and carried it out side in my underwear.....past everyone sitting in the living room to the garbage outside, turned around and went back to bed..........To this day everyone, that's still alive, thinks I was sleep walking....and I didn't tell them any different...or MIL would have freaked and headed out......LOL

You post just reminded me of that......Thanks.
BTW, mouse traps are one thing that most kids will only mess with....once.

Rick
06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Yeah, but us adults never seem to figure that out. We keep getting fingers pinched. Go figure.

hunter63
06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
We think we are faster....those miserable little #@%&^$ LOL

JPGreco
06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I had mouse problem at one place I lived. Instead of baiting the traps, I just made a bottle neck near their holes and put a line of traps in the bottle neck. I would catch multiple mice almost every day that way.

hunter63
06-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I had a "trap line" in "The Blue Room" an A frame camper that was pressed into service as a shed/guest house, at "The Place'....

Was working on the "Taj-ma shed" next door, so I was baiting mulitible traps with peanut butter.....Yeah, mulitple catches, every couple of minutes, lot of the little suckers met their demise.

oldtrap59
06-25-2012, 07:57 PM
If I want to catch mice in large numbers around here all I have to do it leave the lid off of one of the feed barrels out back. Next morning there will be several mice in it. Better to keep the lid on. Mice contaminate the feed. I use the 5 gal bucket with a couple cans of sweet feed to keep the mice under control here. Now if I could find an easy way to control what we know as woodrats around here.

Oldtrap

shiftyer1
06-26-2012, 01:52 AM
I had a mouse problem at the last place, I have a couple good mouser cats now, ether earn their keep!!