PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing? anyone?

shaner
06-21-2012, 08:25 AM
picked up a fly fishing combo at a sale, been thinking id like to try one, thinking mainly of using it on ponds for pan fishing, not to many trout filled streams here in central ohio, anyone else do this? if so any hints on tackle? how long of a leader on this puppies?

Rick
06-21-2012, 09:32 AM
There are a lot of threads on fly fishing, gear and fly tying. Try a search. There's lots of information on it. From my experience you probably won't like a combination pole. They fall in between bait casting and fly fishing and don't do either very well. They just are not very responsive. You can pick up decent poles for relatively little money that will perform much better. But there's not much that's legal that's more fun that a nice Red Ear or Bass on the end of a fly rig.

shaner
06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
There are a lot of threads on fly fishing, gear and fly tying. Try a search. There's lots of information on it. From my experience you probably won't like a combination pole. They fall in between bait casting and fly fishing and don't do either very well. They just are not very responsive. You can pick up decent poles for relatively little money that will perform much better. But there's not much that's legal that's more fun that a nice Red Ear or Bass on the end of a fly rig.

oh ive found alot, and its all depends on who as to whats right hahahha , its a fly rod and reel, 9ft pole, i really enjoy ultra light fishing so figured id try this some,

Rick
06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Ooooh. When you said combo I thought you meant baitcast/flyfish. Do you know what weight? As far as depending on who's writing as to what's right that's probably true. What you are fishing for and where you are fishing can change the entire set up. It can change the weight of the rod, the line, whether it's floating or sinking, the type of leader and of course the fly. You don't have to get complicated with it if you don't want to and just want to have some fun.

Sarge47
06-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Shaner, I'm sending you an invite to my "sub-group," "flyboys where some of us fly fishermen and fly tiers hang out! :fishface:

shaner
06-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Shaner, I'm sending you an invite to my "sub-group," "flyboys where some of us fly fishermen and fly tiers hang out! :fishface:

thanks sarge

shaner
06-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Ooooh. When you said combo I thought you meant baitcast/flyfish. Do you know what weight? As far as depending on who's writing as to what's right that's probably true. What you are fishing for and where you are fishing can change the entire set up. It can change the weight of the rod, the line, whether it's floating or sinking, the type of leader and of course the fly. You don't have to get complicated with it if you don't want to and just want to have some fun.

well mainly just pond fishing for crappie , blue gills and bass will be it