PDA

View Full Version : Summerlong

BushLast
06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Hey I am new to this forum,
I am 15 and have actually quite a lot of wilderness survival experience and have gone on a couple trips and sessions. I had this idea to go with my friends to a Wilderness Area near me and actually survive their ll summer long! I would bring quite a lot of gear and Cameras! I would like to make a video that's a bit like a documentary. I have some experience film making and my friend has quite a lot. How could I make it safer and SEEM safer for my parents? Any Ideas?
Any Ideas help, Thanks! :o

jhnnymwr75
06-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Long story short, sounds like a recipe for disaster. Survival isn't Bear Grylls, and I doubt your experienced enough to survive for 2 months or more. Not to burst your bubble. But better safe than sorry. I've done that too many times, I have gone with somebody who says their 'experienced' and SHTF (probably because I let them handle it themselves to see what they can do....)
The wise man see's himself as a fool, the fool see's himself wise..... Or something like that:toomany:

Rick
06-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Does your friend drive? If not then wait until next summer when you have your license then you take the car and stay as long as you like. Just a note, most state and federal properties only allow a 14 day stay. That's to keep folks from living there all summer. If your friend has his license then I don't see the problem. Go and stay as long as you want. My guess is you'll be home in about a week if not sooner.

hunter63
06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Handling similar situations as a young man, we did include parents in our plans, and laid out what we wanted to do before hand, as well as proving our skills in back yards and woods close by the house.
I was fortunate to grow up in a small town that had the "woods' starting a 1/2 block away....Not real sure to this day who owned it, but it was used as a playground of sorts.

We found out that fathers did come out and check on us in secret....some years later....but when vechicals became avalible, we were able to expand our range, with little trouble.

Success in small ways led to bigger and better things....and you had to be back to do your paper route, or hire some one to do it for you....as well as summer jobs for most of us.