PDA

View Full Version : Anyone living in the 'deepwoods' or any Northwood Mainers on here?

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Anyone on here from Jackman and The Forks area? I am checking into a backwoods homesteading/survival opportunity up that way and want to learn more about the area. I have visited a few times but for too short of time to learn much. Hoping for a few 'electronic' penpals.

The place I am going to check out next month is about 5 plus miles from the highway which will be all 'hike in' all winter. During the rest of the year I can drive to the ever expanding beaver bog and hike in from there.

I know alot of you are probably saying 'only 5 miles!' but I am doing this to test myself and if something goes wrong I can still get help. If I survive and learn through the first year then I will try a deeper woods experience.

One thing I haven't decided is whether to do this solo or invite someone along. The last time I did this with a 3 mile hike in I had my 15 year companion half samoyed half wolf. Although she was a great 'mood helper' I had to lug in dog food for her. Whereas a human 'roomate' would hopefully help in food procurement, visiting, learning from each other, etc.

Is there anyone on here who has done this or deeper woods experience (or presently doing it) who can discuss the pros and cons of solo or human or animal friends going along?

Lobo

tsitenha
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Lobo lone wolf, the dog can carry its own pack, I made one for my dog, kind of saddle bag type out of canvass, a blanket is tied to the center portion. Worst come to worst a dog sized travois will work well, has for thousands of years. Small wheels can be added to the out poles to ease the effort of pulling.

Rick
06-11-2012, 05:20 PM
If I survive...

Is that optional?

Winter
06-11-2012, 05:46 PM
5 miles off trail, depending on the terrain, is a long ways.

karatediver
06-11-2012, 06:13 PM

Yea, I'm sure the 30 minutes or less guarantee on your pizza delivery is null and void for that home.

But seriously bro, have you thought this through. Five miles in the winter might as well be 100 depending on the conditions. Out of food, sick, hurt, etc and you could be in a real world of hurt. I like developing my skills as much as the next guy but I'm sure as heck not interested in puting myself through an unnecessary risk like that. But to each his own.

crashdive123
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
How long were you living in that Army tent at your last place?

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Lobo lone wolf, the dog can carry its own pack, I made one for my dog, kind of saddle bag type out of canvass, a blanket is tied to the center portion. Worst come to worst a dog sized travois will work well, has for thousands of years. Small wheels can be added to the out poles to ease the effort of pulling.

tsitenha

Agreed. After several years I wish I had trained her earlier for a sled, etc.

Lobo

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 11:37 AM
How long were you living in that Army tent at your last place?

About 5 years. I have lived in other 'self built' shelters before that. This new place has a cabin which I am going to check out the condition of next month. Maybe some pretty high living.

Lobo

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Wow. Thank you. I find that a surprise coming from someone from AK. From what I have read some folks have a several days hike to town.

Lobo

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Is that optional?

Rick,

I am not afraid of the wild or of dieing. I have flat lined before and it was the most blissful feeling so I do not fear death anymore. Dieing in the woods would feel like an honor to our Mother to lay down and refeed the earth that has fed me. It is part of the cycle of life that The Great Spirit has control of, not me.

Lobo

Rick
06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
I don't fear dying either but I don't attempt things where I have a question of whether I'll survive or not. To each his own of course.

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't fear dying either but I don't attempt things where I have a question of whether I'll survive or not. To each his own of course.

Rick,

Respectfully,anything we do in today's world has consequenses. Walking across a busy street, flying, driving, eating fast food. I have just accepted that I am not in control of things.

Lobo

1stimestar
06-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I just got back from a trip visiting friends. To get to their place one must park in the village of Eagle, Alaska (look it up, it's remote). The road to Eagle is not even open in the winter. Park on the river and take the boat up 7 miles. Park the boat and take the atv or hike up the trail for 2 miles. You can get a special bush insurance up here at least that provides a very comprehensive medical kit including antibiotics and sutures plus 24 hour contact with a doctor. Get yourself a sat phone for emergency use. You can still train your dog to pull a toboggan.

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I just got back from a trip visiting friends. To get to their place one must park in the village of Eagle, Alaska (look it up, it's remote). The road to Eagle is not even open in the winter. Park on the river and take the boat up 7 miles. Park the boat and take the atv or hike up the trail for 2 miles. You can get a special bush insurance up here at least that provides a very comprehensive medical kit including antibiotics and sutures plus 24 hour contact with a doctor. Get yourself a sat phone for emergency use. You can still train your dog to pull a toboggan.

1timestar,

If my life had gone the way I had wished I would be in the Eagle AK area but que sera sera. The only reason I cannot train my dog now is that she passed over last fall after 15 years on companionship.

Lobo

Wildthang
06-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I lived in Machias Maine for a couple of years, and there is some very deep wilderness in Maine, and a lot of people live off the grid there. There are a lot of escaped criminals, insane asylum escapees, and just people that plain old like to live that way. I did not live in the deep woods, but went out there often.
In certain times of the year, blackflies, musquitos, and no seeums will eat you alive, but you get used to dealing with that, but take a bee keepers mask for your face. Black bears are abundant, along with deer and elk. But 5 miles off the beaten path is a long way, so you will need many supplies, so be sure to figure out what you think you are going to need, and double it!
Also remember that the other people in those woods went there to get away from other people, so dont count on them for anything unless you become friends with some of them. There are some real crazy characters in those woods, I know because I ran into some of them.
I would take a women with me that knows her way around the woods, and has the skills needed to live in those conditions. If you take a buddy with you, make sure he has the skills as well or he will drag you down.
You can exist in those conditions alone, but having someone there with you will help keep your attitude in the right state, and be there to back you up if things go wrong. beleive me things can go wrong in the deep woods. Make sure you have more than 1 means of communication, like shortwave radio, Sat phone, and any other means of communication you can afford. Even though you are not afraid of dying, it is always better to live!

1stimestar
06-15-2012, 02:18 AM
1timestar,

If my life had gone the way I had wished I would be in the Eagle AK area but que sera sera. The only reason I cannot train my dog now is that she passed over last fall after 15 years on companionship.

Lobo

Aw, sorry to hear about your pooch. If you look back a year on my blog, you can see pictures from the last two years' trips. I haven't gotten this one posted yet.

Lobo Lone Wolf
06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
I lived in Machias Maine for a couple of years, and there is some very deep wilderness in Maine, and a lot of people live off the grid there. There are a lot of escaped criminals, insane asylum escapees, and just people that plain old like to live that way. I did not live in the deep woods, but went out there often.
In certain times of the year, blackflies, musquitos, and no seeums will eat you alive, but you get used to dealing with that, but take a bee keepers mask for your face. Black bears are abundant, along with deer and elk. But 5 miles off the beaten path is a long way, so you will need many supplies, so be sure to figure out what you think you are going to need, and double it!
Also remember that the other people in those woods went there to get away from other people, so dont count on them for anything unless you become friends with some of them. There are some real crazy characters in those woods, I know because I ran into some of them.
I would take a women with me that knows her way around the woods, and has the skills needed to live in those conditions. If you take a buddy with you, make sure he has the skills as well or he will drag you down.
You can exist in those conditions alone, but having someone there with you will help keep your attitude in the right state, and be there to back you up if things go wrong. beleive me things can go wrong in the deep woods. Make sure you have more than 1 means of communication, like shortwave radio, Sat phone, and any other means of communication you can afford. Even though you are not afraid of dying, it is always better to live!

Wildthang,

I too have met some of those "real crazy characters" as I have live in the ME woods before and I agrree with you about that danger. Oddly I am more concerned about some of the 2 leggeds in woods rather than the 4 leggeds. For those 2 leggeds I have my 'Smith and Wesson insurance policy". I will say that 99% of Mainers that I have met are great. I have more than enough supplies to lug in but plan on foraging, hunting/fishing and gardening. My 2 forms of communication are smoke signals and '3 shots fired' generally get help coming. I am interested though--what is a SAT phone?

As to the room mate, I would love to connect with either a Penobscot, Micmac or Maliseet Native who knows the woods.

Although I am not afraid of dieing, I am not suicidal either and have a strong will to live.

Lobo

crashdive123
06-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Sat phone = satellite phone.

tipacanoe
06-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Lobo, I wish you luck, but I think you are going alone. The only highway is Rt 201, and from there it is a loooonnnggg walk to the nearest store, unless you are in Jackman or the forks. You won't find any elk in Maine, if you do, don't shoot it because it is endangered and the only one. I don't think you will find to many crazy people in the woods in that area, haven't heard of any escapes of convicts or insane people any time in the last few years. I would buy a Maine Gazetteer for $20 because if you are going to live there as you have said you will need it. I am pretty sure there will be a logging trail that you can use in the winter that will get you closer to your cabin, if they are logging during the winter you can drive the road, but you can't use a snowmobile, if there aren't plowing they you can. Good luck.