PDA

View Full Version : Diatomaceous Earth

Spartan300
06-10-2012, 10:10 AM
A handy tool we use on the farm is called Diatomaceous Earth. Some of you may use this as well. It works well for us especially controlling pests like Black Widows, etc.

We purchase the product at our local feed store, it is kept in large barrels and we just scoop a few scoops into a plastic bag and it is sold by the pound. Many use it as a natural de-wormer as well.

It looks like a bag of flour to the naked eye. If it was under a microscope however, you would see it's abrasive qualities. It looks somewhat like tiny crushed egg shells under a microscope.

We uncovered a little family of black widows the other day and wanted to test it out on them right before our eyes. We collected the spiders (very carefully) into the bottom side of an old garbage can lid. We spread the diatomaceous earth on and around them. After walking through it and getting powder all over their legs and body, in only minutes we noticed them struggling. Just a minute or so after that we noticed them DEAD.

The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. They actually "bled out" so to speak, right before our eyes in just a few minutes.

We spread it around the garden, in the dark and moist areas around our barns, chicken houses, flower gardens, etc. Just curious as to whether you guys used this yourself? We have found it most useful.

hunter63
06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah, use it in the garden for slugs and other bugs.....does kill good bugs as well as bad, I'm told...so don't use it any more.
Didn't know about spiders.

I'm sure there are a lot of other uses....Guys?

Rick
06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
You bet! Borax added to sugar, Diatomaceous earth, Boric acid, all good insecticides.

Just remember that some insects, like ants, lay down pheromone trails and those should be cleaned with soap and water to discourage other insects from following the trail.

crashdive123
06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Diatomaceous earth is a very effective tool in pest control. I'm not sure how effective it will be in the garden and the moist areas around your barn though. It is completely ineffective when it becomes wet.