PDA

View Full Version : Retirement projects

hunter63
06-08-2012, 02:14 PM
So now that I'm officially retired.....time to get to the projects at "The Place"

Tractor and boat shed completed last fall/winter, so hung up canoe and kayak.....problem with trusses is limited space to get things in and out of rafters.

Kayak....not too bad, just run a couple of 2X4's hoist it up and flip it over on the rafters.......should help with sun light deterioration and such.

Canoe...still thinking about it, but for now, a couple of el-cheapo Harbor Freight, block and tackle set-ups.....it's 17 ft long, but only weighs 70#

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1091.jpg

Need to redo the approach for ease of getting boat on and off the truck hitch.....so need to fill with gravel....hill country here, so if you want something level....you need to make it.

Drag out the dump trailer, charge the battery...and off to the pit.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1089.jpg

Found a local pit that would load the trailer, about 2 yards, or "drive way gravel" for $20 bucks a load.....last place i went they wanted $80 bucks for "I guess designer gravel"....too much.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1093.jpg

Gotta love hydraulics

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1094.jpg

Level it off with the tractor.....little rake and shovel work.......Nap time.

Note, be sure tires are inflated to rating under load....lost some air since last year....down to 35#....needed 65#......tires run hot if too low.....Ask me how I know.....good thing I checked bearings after a couple of miles.....noticed the tires were hot.....

jake abraham
06-08-2012, 02:56 PM
looks like you have enough to keep you busy

intothenew
06-08-2012, 03:07 PM
If not, he is welcome to start hauling gravel to my place.

hunter63
06-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Tommorow is farmers market day....got to see a lady about a loom.....but then it's off to the surplus store, (friend of mine), last year he was selling shelter halfs for like $2-3 bucks.....Outside in a bin as they were kinda stinky....but hey, cheap enough to pick up 10 or so......

So got to thinking, maybe if I buy a few and hang them on the sides of the tractor shed, they would keep rain and sun light out a bit.....anyway, I like to stop and see how what goodies he has in that I might need.

Always something.

Rick
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I see you are lacking supervision in your retirement jobs. I'll give your wife a call and see if we can remedy that for you. I wouldn't want you to do anything unsafe or incorrectly.

Pal334
06-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Hunter,, a little advice if I may......"Nap time",,,, work hard to keep that in the schedule.. The rest of the work will not run away and hide from you:)

crashdive123
06-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Good to see you are enjoying your retirement.

kyratshooter
06-08-2012, 10:35 PM
I've been up to the same type efforts Hunter. You young guys need to rest up before you retire, it's a busy time.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q553/DonaldStancliff/004-3.jpg

I am down to about two more days work and the porch will be finished. I did the wiring for the ceiling fans and lights today.

Rick
06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Far too small of fencing to keep the skeeters at bay unless you plan to add concertina wire on the outside. I saw a Kentucky mosquito at the Air and Space Museum once. The sign said it was accidentally killed by the big ones.

Incidentally, I would pad the outside of the skirt boards. If you enjoy a wobbly pop while mowing you could knock yourself out if you don't stop in time.

kyratshooter
06-09-2012, 12:15 AM
When you live in KY you do not drink and mow! My yard requires the same contortions a small sailboat requires when tacking. To keep the mower from overturning on the hillside you are required to stay alert and lean from one side to the other for balance.

A couple of beers while mowing would literally kill me.

hunter63
06-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Plenty of time for a couple(or 10) of cold ones....AFTER....mowing is done.....LOL.
Tractor is 4 wheel drive, has seat belts and ROP, and I use them....particually on when the grass is wet, kinda 'crabby" running along the side hill.

Nice job on the porch....I love porches....even have on in the front of the city house.....Was told that I couldn't do it....My argument was that it was the same dimensions as the steps and stoop....been there for 25 years now.
Big porch on "The Place"......thinking about adding screening, but I would have to shoot thru it .......so haven't done it yet.

Like sitting and watching the traffic go by.......Out here it's deer and turkeys....

rebel
09-25-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm not retired but, in preparation for that day, this year I built my barn and installed a wood stove in the work shop. Ive been splitting wood that was cut a few years ago.

I'll probably croak and some other guy can enjoy it.

hunter63
09-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Naw, he's probably left handed.......

hunter63
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
happy to report that my summer project of leveling out the approch with gravel was a success....just back the truck up, hook up the boat, parking the same.
Without the additional height, had to jack and block the boat, then jack it up again to raise it up, to get the water to drain out the back.

Ran the boat through some very shallow water (mud,...drought?),duck hunting..... so the cooling water intake got plugged...had to blow out with the air compressor and use a flusher to clean out......always something.

kyratshooter
10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I just finished laying down tile in the bathroom. Got it all done now, although there is still much trim to finish.

Harbor Freight has a big sale on and I am considering snagging one of their box stoves for use on the back porch.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cast-iron-boxwood-heater-stove-32058.html

If I ever had a long term power outage in the winter I could always drag it into the house and run the pipe out a window through a sheet metal cover. It would be nice on the BP as cool weather limits my use of that area.

hunter63
10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Those are actually pretty nice for the bucks.....I have one in my garage, for winter use, and does a nice job.
Burns a lot of wood, not very air tight, but then again the wood is free.......so what.

I had always thought if we were with out any heat in the house, for any length of time, we could set up camp in the garage, and just use that stove.