PDA

View Full Version : One slip of the knife *WARNING* Disturbing Photo Attached

GiLLiGaNN
06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Was sharpening my gutting knife while also watch television. Big no no..... Slipped and sliced right through! Severed lots of nerves and nicked the tendon. 6 stitches! :-(

Old GI
06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
BTDT! Twice on the same finger (left index) but many years apart. First time with my trusty Buck 110 and the second time with a Dewalt power saw. Not fun. Heal up soon.

Winter
06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
You know you're cut good when you see the fat cells poking out.

1stimestar
06-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Yowsa! Good luck.

hunter63
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Oweee, I can feel it......good thing that stuff happens fast, think how bad it would hurt if you did it slow....

Heal up fast!

kyratshooter
06-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Consider using another sharpening process. This one, while efficient, is not working for you.:red_indian:

hunter63
06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Consider using another sharpening process. This one, while efficient, is not working for you.:red_indian:

Sounds like the old conversation with the DR.

GGN...."Doc, it hurts when I sharpen my knife this way...."
Doc..."Don't sharpen it that way..."

jcullen24
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Was sharpening my gutting knife while also watch television. Big no no..... Slipped and sliced right through! Severed lots of nerves and nicked the tendon. 6 stitches! :-(

You aint doin it right.

Rick
06-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Just remember, chicks dig scars. Hope you heal soon.

Wildthang
06-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Do not sharpen your knife again until that heals up:smartass:

natertot
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
You know, there is a better way to test how sharp your knife is! :smartass:

Happy healing!

crashdive123
06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Hope you heal up fast.

Sparky93
06-07-2012, 01:50 AM
I think you got her sharp enough! Now you just need to come up with a good story to pick up the chicks... Hope you heal fast!

kyratshooter
06-07-2012, 08:54 AM
This is a recurring threme on some of the bushcraft forums. The concensus being that knives are marginally useful and best left at home locked in a safe so they can not inflict their harm on innicent users. Poultry scissors with blunt points are their recommendaton. These same people tremble in fear at the mere sight of a 'hawk or hatchet.

My first thought was "How on earth does one injure themselves in such a way while sharpening a knife? What is going to happen when it is needed for daily use and tasks that require some measure of dexterity?"

I suppose there is a segment of the population that considers a "survival knife" an object that you are lucky to survive using.

Wildthang
06-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I use the simple rule that you never cut or sharpen in the same direction as a body part, and it has worked so far. It is just one of those things that will get you if you dont pay attention like a gun, motorcycle, or a women:smartass:

kyratshooter
06-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Got to agree with you WT!

I have some minor knife scars.

I have some non-bullet related firearm scars.

I knew my limitations and pain threshold and stayed away from motorcylces.

However, I have some woman scars that will never heal!

Dealing with 99% of the women in the world is like knife fighting. Even if you win you are going to intensive care.

hunter63
06-07-2012, 10:40 AM
I use the simple rule that you never cut or sharpen in the same direction as a body part, and it has worked so far. It is just one of those things that will get you if you dont pay attention like a gun, motorcycle, or a women:smartass:

Wise words, my friend......And about the time you think to have them figured out (any one of the three).....you crash.

Thaddius Bickerton
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Ouch, heal fast.

There is this point in sharpening a knife where it passes from sharp to scary sharp where it almost wants to cut on its own. I like my knives that sharp, but it requires a whole different level of awareness in handling them.

Was just discussing doing dangerous things with the youngest son. Pointed out that some things do not allow even one mistake without a high price, one that should never be paid. (Were talking about firearms safety, but it applies to knifes, welding torches and many other things.)

If I don't feel well focused and alert I have learned to not mess with certain things until I am. More so since the stroke, but always after a few hundred mess ups. Learning in the school of experience and hard knocks is not advisable if one can find an easier method.

Take care, triple antibiotic ointment, super glue and ductape = 3 of my main tools for handling all the blood I have given steel over the years.

At least having given it blood you are now bound to the blade. Painful, but true.

Thad

GiLLiGaNN
06-07-2012, 03:51 PM
The nerves are firing off left and right where I sliced through them. Soooo much pain.... amazing what a cut can do. Yowza

crashdive123
06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Keep your hand elevated at a level higher than your heart. The throbbing will stop.

Rick
06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Vicodin is just used to fill the void with good Karma. I dig good Karma.

Simple Survivor
06-12-2012, 06:22 PM
That's a corner off your totem chip! (BSA reference)