PDA

View Full Version : Rising costs of goods.

colorado plainsman
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
We all know that goods and gear increase in price overtime. The one thing that I have noticed that has really increased in price over the past two years are batteries. I remember buying four packs of AA and AAA batteries for $2.68 two summers ago. Last night I noticed the price for the same size and brand was $4.99. WOW I usually stock up during X-Mass when they run them on sale and offer cupons. I have recently moved to recharchable which will pay for themselves overtime and can be recharged with a solar charger. I use batteries in the bush in my headlamp,small transister radio and two two way radios.

I have learned you get what you pay for with batteries.

crashdive123
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Yep - things are going up. It's a good thing we don't count food and fuel in the inflation rates.....I'd be really depressed.:whistling:

Spartan300
06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I fear we are only seeing the beginning of the price increases. You are right, batteries are very expensive now. I keep a lot of extra batteries on hand and have noticed the same thing. Other things that have skyrocketed are food (especially meat), tires, and auto parts just to name a few.

Desert Rat!
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
You tellin me I just bought 4 tires for my Suburban 285-75-16 E rated for $1,100.00 4 years ago I bought the same tires for $860.00 Yikes!

kyratshooter
06-04-2012, 02:14 PM
When I bought my Jeep it cost $25 to fill the tank. Last fillup was $80.

And the tank is not a bit bigger than when I bought it.

And as Crash said, they do not even count fuel in the inflation adjustment!

Rick
06-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Actually, both food and fuel are part of the CPI.

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpiqa.htm

Has the BLS removed food or energy prices in its official measure of inflation? No.

crashdive123
06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Actually, both food and fuel are part of the CPI.

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpiqa.htm

Has the BLS removed food or energy prices in its official measure of inflation? No.

While that is true (and I know that you know this) it food and fuel are not part of the core CPI reporting since they are considered too volatile. While it is reported that no major policy decisions are based on the core numbers, the Fed does use them, which IMO is keeping interest rates artificially low.

oldtrap59
06-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I have to agree with the idea that everything is going up in price. I, however, can't agree that's it anything new. Hey, guys and gals, it's been going on as long as I can remember. Maybe even as long as Rick can remember.:>) We that live in the good old USA have had it pretty good for a long time now. Many that live in other countries chuckle when they see us complaining about prices of different things. Don't take me wrong. I dislike this as much as the next person but it's one of those things that you pay the price or do without. Your choice. I remember coming home on leave around 69 or 70 and gas being 16.9/ gal (gas war). BTW what ever happened to gas wars? Guess the oil companies just got smart and rich.

Oldtrap

Wildthang
06-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Sounds like we all need a raise!

Rick
06-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I can remember when you couldn't buy gas at any price....

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/VF/oil-embargo-sign-lg.jpg

crashdive123
06-06-2012, 07:21 PM
And when you could, you could only get 8 gallons (odd/even days). Those lines really sucked.

Thaddius Bickerton
06-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Remember the odd / even days to buy gas depending on your car tags?

That was when we started burning wood / coal for heat, and Dad asked me to look into alternative fuels.

It was also about the time I read tappan on survival, and learned the word: Survivalist.

Been long time coming, but all of that plus family that still remembered the 1930's and how to get along on mostly nothing kind of helped me to be where I am today.

And somehow along the way I managed to not only survive, but to have a bit of fun on the journey.

Thad.