PDA

View Full Version : Poisoning fish/fish poisons: Saponins & Rotenone- plant poisons on fish

TresMon
05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Any body have experience using plant based poisons to stupefy fish?

http://www.rogueturtle.com/articles/fishx.php

I plan on trying a batch of Poke Weed leaves. But I don't know how many I will need for a smallish stream. I'd think quite a lot...

Anybody have first hand insight or experience?

Canadian-guerilla
05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
black walnut shells ?

never tried it myself, but it would be my first choice

not sure if the " poison " stays in water or dissipates over time
may depend on running stream/creek or still water pond

Graf
06-01-2012, 03:51 AM
black walnut shells ?

never tried it myself, but it would be my first choice

not sure if the " poison " stays in water or dissipates over time
may depend on running stream/creek or still water pond

Is it the shells or husk? I have also read that acorns crrushed and dispensed in the water work as well, starting to wonder if its the tannins that actually cause the poison.

Rick
06-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Check your local laws. Strictly illegal here.

TresMon
06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes the poison dissipates and as soon as the fish gets to clear water they fully recover. Kinda like kids huffing aerosol propellants. it displaces the O2 and makes the kids stupid. Fresh air(Oxygen) returns them to normal.
Thanks Rick, I have permission to experiment at a personal, private Trout Farm...

Daniel Nighteyes
06-01-2012, 06:01 PM
... starting to wonder if its the tannins that actually cause the poison.

Somehow I doubt it. The creeks and small rivers 'way down in Dixie are frequently tea-colored from all the tannins. They come from the thick carpet of leaves on the bottom, particularly in the deeper, more still areas.

I don't know whether this is true in other areas as well; I have only seen it in coastal Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and northwest Florida.

Stairman
06-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Yea tannic acid makes many waterways here brown and fish do just fine. Elderberry leaves are poisonous as are beautyberry, and make a fish stupor Ive read but knowing how much would be the problem. No floating fish after 10 minutes, add somemore I guess. Illegle here as well.

TresMon
06-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Okay.
Experiment 1:
I harvested 7, five gallon buckets of Poke Weed Leaves. These I pounded/mashed into pulp- which equated to 3-4 (memory shady @ the moment) 5 gal. Buckets of Poke Pulp. This, I lined up in an old net hammock I had and laced the hammock up forming a quite porous, Poke Sausage of some 6.5 feet long.

This was placed in a narrow section of the trout farm stream. I stomped and churned it in the flow. Massive green clouds of Poke whatever turned the water solid green for say 2 feet down stream of the hammock. No one down stream observed stupefied fish. FAILURE.

I consulted my Ecuadorian pal that grew up, LITERALLY tribal in the Amazon rain forest. I showed him the flow and the length of the hammock. He said i needed (estimated) three hammocks- but all the better to seek a smaller flow....

I also learned recently that English Ivy is loaded with Saponins making it a strong candidate for Fish Poison.

To be continued.............................

hunter63
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Man, that just sounds like a lot of work to me.....So not so good with a line and hook?....Fish trap?....net?

I guess I would worry anout you mixes being toxic to you and other down stream?...
I'll be quite now.......

TresMon
06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
M I would worry anout you mixes being toxic?...
I'll be quite now.......

Drinking and keying again Hunter?

Rick
06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Now, now. Let's be gentlemen. Let's agree to disagree on this one.

hunter63
06-15-2012, 08:49 PM
LOL, y'all are doing the mixing.......I just had a glass of water????...donno wot happen.

jcullen24
06-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Taken from the SAS Survval Guide Revised Edition: P140

Derris Plants: (Asia and Australia)
Woody climbing vine like plants, usually with small oval leaflets, and pairs opposite each other.
Powder the roots and throw them in the water, Stupified fish will rise to the surface not long after.

Barringtonas: (same as Derris, and Polynesia)

Desert Roses: (Arabia and Africa)

Soap Plant: (N. America)
http://virtual-markets.net/vme/ARNHA/soaproot.html

Goats Rue: (N. America)
Goat's Rue is also cited by the SAS Survival Guide by John "Lofty" Wiseman, as having a sedative effect on fish. The roots and flowers are the most potent, but the most common method is to simply crush the entire plant and throw into a body of water with restricted flow. The fish that then float to the top are safe to consume.[citation needed]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galega_officinalis

John 'Lofty; Wiseman's SAS Survival Handbook.
He has a lot of great youtube videos. I think I saw a demonstration of the technique on YOUTUBE.
As soon as you mentioned the technique, I knew I had seen or read it from John.
He's the most knowledgeable person the planet when it comes to Survival.

Seniorman
06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
A half stick of dynamite works pretty well too, and is not nearly as much work. :shifty:

S.M.

Rick
06-18-2012, 06:06 AM
You know the old joke. Game warden went fishing with a friend who pulled out a stick of dynamite and lit it.

"You can't do that!" admonished the warden.

The friend handed him the sizzling dynamite and said, "Are you gonna fish or talk?"

Seniorman
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM
you know the old joke. Game warden went fishing with a friend who pulled out a stick of dynamite and lit it.

"you can't do that!" admonished the warden.

The friend handed him the sizzling dynamite and said, "are you gonna fish or talk?"

:) :)

s.m.

Batch
06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
I don't know if poke salet will work. But, why not boil a mess of leaves for 20 or 30 minutes or more and then just use the water? Put the mess of leaves in a fresh change of water and keep boiling down till the water is clear.

You actually would be better off with the root and the redder parts of the plant.

Down here we would just use a Florida Fishpoison Tree (Piscidia piscipula). Still they would crush the root of that tree also.

The root of Poke Salet is much more potent then the leaves.