PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite fly....

Sarge47
05-28-2012, 10:16 AM
So fly fishers, what's your favorite fly, wet or dry, for different species of fish? I hear good things about the Woolly Bugger and the Chernobyl Ant; any thoughts? :confused1:

Sparky93
05-29-2012, 01:08 AM
For bass I use a fly that I kind of invented, it is kind of like a wooly bugger but it has a strip of (rabbit hair I think) on the hide about 3/16" thick. I like popper flies, mine are all bought except for one I made by melting a plastic wine cork into shape and then cutting a groove and gluing in a hook. For bluegill I like a Royal Coachman, Green Caddis Variant, or a foam water spider.

A good book I have on flies is the "Fly Pattern Encyclopedia" it has just about every pattern out there. I guess the main thing to picking a fly is matching a pattern to what they are eating when you are fishing. Bass and sunfish aren't as picky as trout so they are easier to please, when I was trout fishing in Colorado I had good luck with the Green Caddis Variant.

Mischief
05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Wooly Bugger hands down for both fresh and salt water

Sarge47
05-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Wooly Bugger hands down for both fresh and salt water

That's what I hear. Mischief, why not check out the "Flyboys" group I created for us Fly fishermen and tiers! Jus click onto my profile page and scroll down a bit, then click on the title! :yes:

tipacanoe
06-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I like the wooly bugger for small mouths in a river where there aren't a lot of rocks. For an all around fly, I really enjoy a muddler minnow, weighted for fishing a little deep as a streamer but quite hard to cast, and not weighted, in faster running water fished dry then wet on the retrieve just after the swing of the drift. Tip

wholsomback
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
My favorite fly for saltwater is the crystal shrimp,and freshwater is the wollybugger for sure,all of which can be tied with a mono weedguard.

Stiffy
09-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I used to use a variety -- wet, dry and nymphs. Now I only use a basic white or silver streamer. Here in Colorado that's good for most of the trout in my area. It will also work on the bass and perch in the lakes. I can use the streamers with either my fly rod or my little back pack spinning rod (or, for that matter, no rod at all, just a length of line).

Mischief
09-30-2012, 04:47 PM
That's what I hear. Mischief, why not check out the "Flyboys" group I created for us Fly fishermen and tiers! Jus click onto my profile page and scroll down a bit, then click on the title! :yes:

I would join if I could find it

Sarge47
09-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I would join if I could find itSending you an invite. :nod:

Old GI
10-01-2012, 08:40 AM
And I thought the choices would be zipper or button. Oh well, nevermind.

postman
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Have to be the " Bunny Leach", tied with black and orange rabbit fur. This thing has great action, drives fish nuts.

Psalm25
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I enjoyed tying the Adams when I first started, but I don't have much patients for following patterns. Often I watch to see what the trout are eating, take a few samples home and start tying a replica of whatever I bring home. I love catching a mayfly and trying to make a replica of it. Talking about it is giving me the urge to tie a few... going to load up the vice today I think lol

postman
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I can't see well enough any more to ty those small patterns. Anything smaller that a # 14 hook and I'm in trouble.

Psalm25
01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
I can't see well enough any more to ty those small patterns. Anything smaller that a # 14 hook and I'm in trouble.

What type of fish do you ty for Postman? One of many things I love about Ontario is the monster pike and Muskie... I have only been fly fishing for about a year so last time I was in Ontario I never knew what I was missing. I might go down for a week of fly fishing this year.

Blade
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
So fly fishers, what's your favorite fly, wet or dry, for different species of fish? I hear good things about the Woolly Bugger and the Chernobyl Ant; any thoughts? :confused1:

As I said in another thread my favorite is a nymph called a "While Gloved Howdy".
http://i47.tinypic.com/2ive1ib.jpg Sorry pic won't load Google it

I free line these and have terrific luck. I also use any small black nymph in an unconvetional methos which I won't share because it works that well and I may need this some day to survive.

pgvoutdoors
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
I would have to say the "Bead-Head Pheasant Tail Nymph" is a great fly for most small to mid-size fish.

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx36/pgvoutdoors/WSF/Pheasant-Tail-Nymph-Tungsten-Bead-Side.jpg

Psalm25
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

Tied a few yesterday... takes the edge off winter.

Blade
01-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Tied a few yesterday... takes the edge off winter.

Nice set of pictures and some nice flies. That's what I'm saying, tying flies is a great way to enjoy the sport despite the fact it's snowing or cold outside. Come Spring you're ready to go!

Psalm25
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks Blade. I can't wait for the sea run trout to start... I'm driving myself nuts with excitement for spring to arrive!

prariewolf
01-22-2013, 11:03 PM
I've acouple go to flies...Pheasent tail flashback ...Copper john...sz.18...20 on the beaverhead. Ray Charles sz.18 on the Big Horn....The dry's are also very small para Adams .... Pale Morning Dun and Blue wing Olives....I don't throw streamers much but wooly buggers or a leach pattern have worked for me..Have used foam hoppers as well as trad. hoppers. Like the foam best if I'm running a "dropper". JMHO