PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember where the blood pressure points are? (gorey pic inside)

TresMon
05-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi gang,
Got net service for just a sec..

I was glad I recall where the blood stooping pressure points are for limbs. We we're way out in the mountains afoot on a cross cut sawing mission.
We were using a 5.5 ' long two man bucking cross cut saw. It had just been sharpened for said outing.

Me and a 21 year old were manning the saw. This particular cut was on a wee 6" green log. The cut @ 3/4 through pinched the saw. I told the young feller to stop. That I'd lift up on the little log, free the saw and WE"D GO REEL EASY.

So I said "Hang on" I placed my hand about 12" from the saw/cut and lifted up the log a wee bit. I then said okay let's go easy.........
We'll the next part was quick as lightnin. No sooner as I had said """"easy"""" the young beefy lad felt the need to, and executed a right healthy yank on the saw. Don't ask me why...........?

The saw hopped right out of the cut slot, onto my wrist and I can still feel about 14" of those monster teeth raking across my Radius (bone.)
I hollored out right fierce and seen blood was already ever where. I looked around for something to put pressure on the gaping wound with. I was just in shorts and shoes, so I asked the kid for his t-shirt which he handed over. I wrapped it tight around the wrist as I felt the adrenaline kick in. I looked at the young buck and he was pale- just said "blood shot 10 inches!"

I didn't say anything to the youngman but the blood was far harder to stop (flowing from myself) than any other time I had created a leak. I got it wrapped tighter and but -a little- pressure on the inside upper arm and that did the trick. I cracked open the first aid kit back at base camp and did all the betadine scrub I could stand.

i did personal inventory as to my state and then opted to drive myself to the ER. The doc shot it up with local, scrubbed it again with beta and dug around. He said I cut the radius, but "not quite to the marrow." And that I cut a main tendon to the thumb but left enough for it to heal unmolested.

He sewed me up and off I went. The whole top side of my thumb and the section of the back of my hand that it merges into is numb. Feeling may or may not come back, but fortunately I have all my feeling on the pad side of my thumb/hand. I was really glad I knew how to calm myself, Watch for shock and stop serious bleeding!

Here's the pic of the gash, but the pic doesn't do it justice...

crashdive123
05-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Staying calm, and having the knowledge of how to handle injuries is extremely important. Glad you had a grasp of both. Hope you make a full recovery.

1stimestar
05-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Yowsa Tres. Hope the feeling comes back. So what did the youngun say he was trying to accomplish after you told him to take it easy?

Rick
05-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm glad it worked out as well as it did. I hope you make a fully recovery as well. Another good reason first aid kits should be close at hand. Especially when doing work with sharp stuff.

Sarge47
05-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I can never stress the importance of 1st aid. You were just involved in a "survival situation," and because of your 1st aid, you came through it okay. :triage: So how sore is that young man's jaw going to be after you recover! :innocent: :sneaky2: :hammer:

hunter63
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Sharp thing hurt you..... fast....working in the woods isn't a "if" your gonna get hurt,.... it's when.
Hope things work out, and thank God for the trainging........everyone should have at least basic first aid and CPR training, and a good kit.

You were lucky to avoid shock, my friend.

roar-k
05-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Tres,

Sorry to hear about your injury and I hope you recover 100%. I bet you were more calm than the young man that was with you...haha.

Anyways, I believe I have only had two instances where I had to have immediate medical care/first aid. Remaining calm and controlling my breathing was easier than I thought. What I had an issue with was the comments from bystanders. The comments and remarks I heard almost had me lose it once or twice.

I used to go primitive camping with a guy that was able to keep his cool like you did. I remember one time he told me a story of when he had a horrid reaction to poison ivy on his leg and he had to take matters into his own hands. I believe he ended up urinating on it himself. Oh and he had an awesome CJ5 which is what started my addiction to Jeeps.

Rick
05-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I think that was actually Bear...oh, never mind.

Batch
05-28-2012, 08:50 PM
More than one person has urinated on themselves in a survival situation. LOL

crashdive123
05-28-2012, 08:52 PM
It sure does work on jelly fish stings.

TresMon
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Back on the net today...
Thanks for the kind words all. The pain is gone and the cut looks nice and pink- On the mend with no "red flags." I can use it all I want, 'cept I'm goin easy it on it.
Top surface of the thumb and where it attaches to the hand is numb. Nerves may or may not work themselves out and the feeling come back, but I still have ALL my tactile feel on the palm and pad side of my thumb so no function use loss, even it detail work/feel. Praise Jesus.

Thanks again crew.

karatediver
05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Don't feel too bad. I did something similar a couple years ago with my pocket knife. I cut right at the joint of my thumb to my hand. Cut an artery, nicked the tendon, cut through the protective tissue over the joint, severed some nerves, etc. Had to get internal and external stitches and tie off the artery. Being trained in first aid was a real plus. I immediatly went into my training and applied pressure with a towel I grabbed as I walked into the house. I actually felt fine until I got to the hospital and a doctor looked at it and started getting really concerned by what he saw and talking about how bad it was. It was then that I started feeling the shock and had to lay down with my legs elevated. I was about ready to pass out over an hour after the accident and not from blood loss!!!!

In the end it all healed up except some minor numbness around the area from the nerves being cut.

First aid knowlege is always good. It not only can save someone else but can save you also!

roar-k
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Tres,

I really feel a little hurt that you didn't remember my story. I also remember the same guy blowing a transmission on a white grand marquis while taking it off road to a primitive camp site at Big South Fork...

TresMon
06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
poor little feller!!

Wildthang
06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Tres you need to get a chainsaw and leave those cross cut saws for the young fellers:smartass:

Rick
06-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a story about wrestling with a running chainsaw. Stick with the saw. Trust me on this one.

crashdive123
06-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but weren't you up a tree?

hunter63
06-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a story about finding pressure points...........