PDA

View Full Version : Prepare Now for Your Summer Garden

Rick
02-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Here is a good article on how to prepare your garden for spring planting:

http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/coast/02/020126.html

If you want a natural way to deter insects in your garden here are some plants you can add to help your vegies.

Aphids - Chives, Coriander, Nasturtium
Ants - Tansy
Asparagus Beetle - Pot Marigold
Bean Beetle - Marigold, Nasturtium, Rosemary
Cabbage Moth - Hyssop, Mint (also clothes moths), Oregano, Rosemary, Sage, Southernwood, Tansy, Thyme

Carrot Fly - Rosemary, Sage
Flea Beetle - Catmint (Contains nepetalactone, an insect repellent.) Steep in water and spray on plants.), Mint

Flies - Basil, Rue
Fruit Tree Moths - Southernwood
Japanese Beetles - Garlic & Rue (When used near roses and raspberries), Tansy (These guys LOVE green beans and will devour the tops of the plants in no time at all. They love to overnight and mate in the leaves of green beans, too.)

Potato Bugs - Horseradish
Mosquitoes - Basil, Rosemary
Moths - Santolina
Nematodes - Marigold (Marigolds should be established for at least 1 year before their nematode deterring properties will take effect.)

Savory, Winter - Some insect repelling qualities
Squash Bugs & Beetles - Nasturtium, Tansy
Ticks - Lavender (Also thought to repel mice and moths.)
Tomato Horn Worm - Borage, Pot Marigold

Garlic and Marigolds ring my garden. Not only do they help with insects but they make the garden look nice, too. Another thing, If you find spiders and spider webs in your tomatoes, that's a sign of a good ecosystem. Leave them alone. I don't use any insecticides in my garden.

You can half bury clay flower pots and add some grass to the inside for frogs to hide in. They'll help keep your garden in top shape, too. Cover the top with some grass for shading so the pot doesn't get hot in the summer sun.