PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

the jack
06-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Have any of you or someone you know tossed in the towel and tried to live in the wilderness?

Tony uk
06-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I know someone who made a small house out there and goes there for a few months or so in the summer

the jack
06-24-2007, 10:47 PM
That is cool.how do they keep it hidden? is there a lot of open wilderness in Scotland?

marberry
06-25-2007, 11:24 AM
lol i go out for a month or so sometimes im lucky enough to live in northern Manitoba , Canada. theres no cities or large resorts so i neva run into anyone up there.

Tony uk
06-25-2007, 05:37 PM
That is cool.how do they keep it hidden? is there a lot of open wilderness in Scotland?

Theres lots in the highlands all you have to do is make it and cover the top, back and sides with vegitation and paint the from green and it stays out of site

It gets to cold in the winter to go and i dont know about this summer

KRASH!
07-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Surivorman, himself, Les Stroud and his wife lived in the wilderness for 1 or 2 years. I believe his next show is something about living off-grid. Which I feel is simillar.

wareagle69
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
off the grid is about les and sue buying 100 acres in huntsville ont. also known as the muskokas beatiful area, what les has done is what the title suggests he went off grid total solar and wind power also a couple of klicks back in off the road means snowshoes and skis in the winter or hiking in in the summer also recommend reading and video is "alone in the wilderness" in 1969 dick preonoke went to twin lakes alaska and built a cabin hunted and grew his food for 36 yrs this old man did this he was 52 when he started no solar no nothing a treu personal hero of mine, nothing against les personally i lilke the feller....cheers

Sarge47
07-22-2007, 08:50 PM
off the grid is about les and sue buying 100 acres in huntsville ont. also known as the muskokas beatiful area, what les has done is what the title suggests he went off grid total solar and wind power also a couple of klicks back in off the road means snowshoes and skis in the winter or hiking in in the summer also recommend reading and video is "alone in the wilderness" in 1969 dick preonoke went to twin lakes alaska and built a cabin hunted and grew his food for 36 yrs this old man did this he was 52 when he started no solar no nothing a treu personal hero of mine, nothing against les personally i lilke the feller....cheers

I also saw the film on Dick Preonoke, awesome fellow!

spiritman
07-30-2007, 03:25 AM
I got to see a couple hours of footage but not all of his video, it was my uncles and he showed it to his wood shop class because of his craftsmanship. The things he did were amazing!

owl_girl
07-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Lots of people do it in Alaska, there called mountain men. There was a law, I don’t know if it still stands, but it was that if you live off the land long enough you can keep it, and there’s still laws that help people get land if you do your research. There’s just so much public land that if you want to live of it you can and people do, so long as its public and out in the wilderness.

trax
07-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Formerly known as "squatter's rights", still exists most places, but people should check carefully with the area they live in before they make the assumption. Also, in most places, the person's right to claim the land is strengthened if they've made "improvements" to the land, ie planting crops, fencing, building a permanent shelter. those aren't necessarily improvements in my point of view, but I don't write laws either.

Sarge47
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Anybody know if they have "squatter's rights" in Honolulu?:rolleyes:

Schleprok
05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Gotta do your research on squatters rights.
Back in the 60's, a feller in KY squatted and lived in a tent. Well the county did some research and figured a tent didn't qualify as a proper dwelling. Went to evict him, and he had a camper set up. County did some more research and figured they could call a camper a temporary dwelling, went to evict and he had built a small cabin. Eventually they just let him be.
Point is, do the research so you don't omit something that could get you evicted...

Stairman
05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
That kinda reminds me of the three little pigs story. That Dick Preneke video is awsome. I bought one and watch it about once a month. You do not have to pay the PBS price, just Google Alone in the Wilderness.

Rick
05-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Uh, guys, that thread is two years old. The Jack is probably The Fertilizer by now. He hasn't even logged on since then.

crashdive123
05-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Must still be working on his off grid power source for his lap top.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-10-2009, 08:18 AM
always wanted to do that.if this economy dont improve i may be leaving to do that next month. i would consider the foot hills of Nebraska.

Stairman
05-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Its all Schleprok's fault for resurrecting it. I rarely look at date of post.:smash:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
05-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Its all Schleprok's fault for resurrecting it. I rarely look at date of post.:smash:

i did that when i was new to the forum. i would dig out an ancient thread and comment. i may do that again soon.