PDA

View Full Version : Remote "Survival Cache" & and fall'back stations.

Sourdough
05-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Every year I put out one or two remote cache 55 Gallon barrels with lockring removable lids. I bought 126 "Mountain House" meals and two cases of Tequila (1.75 Liter size). Candles, cheap firearms, ammo, arctic clothing, bunny boots, old tents, Coleman stoves & lanterns, matches, lighters, soap, candy, old sleeping bag & pack, rope, nails, bow saw, pots, utensils.

Open for suggestions.........?

After thought: I should but a sled near by with the fuel.

1stimestar
05-23-2012, 02:52 AM
You left out the two things that are required for every Alaskan. A blue tarp and some duct tape.

Geek
05-23-2012, 03:58 AM
Radios. First Aid. Map & compass.

tipacanoe
05-23-2012, 05:55 AM
TP and a sewing kit.

Cajunlady87
05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Toothbrushes and paste, knives and a fishing kit. If your Coleman lantern uses mantels you'll need extras.

crashdive123
05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
SD - since you've been up there for so long now, how many of these do you have dotting the wilderness of Alaska?

Sourdough
05-23-2012, 08:51 AM
SD - since you've been up there for so long now, how many of these do you have dotting the wilderness of Alaska?

Sorry my friend, that is classified information.

cowgirlup
05-23-2012, 08:52 AM

Maybe he keeps forgetting where he puts them.

One day he'll be hiding another and come across the old one. "Jackpot! Oh wait. It's already my stuff".

Really though sounds like a good plan.

crashdive123
05-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Hmmmmm.....I wonder where I put it? Oh well, another 55 gallon barrel on the next trip to Los Anchorage it is then.:innocent:

hunter63
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
If I lived up there, I'm thinking that is a wonderful idea.
I forget what Fly Alaska program I was watching....the pilot visited a guy and his wife that were really out there in the bush (don't know if it was 240 miles from somewhere).....But they had a large tent set up with a cashe.......In case their cabin burned down....no help around.

Great idea..........Got me thinking now....

Not real sure how well it would work around here, pretty populated....can't even hide a body for long (joke!)

MF used to leave 5 gal buckets(with cover) all over the woods, with TP, visqueen(rain coat, cover), or a piece of styrofoam (to sit on), as well as snacks, matches, water.

Used them to sit on, haul them out and leave them there.....

So now this thread makes me think of a "Lower 48 cashe", based on a 5 gal buckets........Hummmm.

What would I put in one?

crashdive123
05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
If I lived up there, I'm thinking that is a wonderful idea.
I forget what Fly Alaska program I was watching....the pilot visited a guy and his wife that were really out there in the bush (don't know if it was 240 miles from somewhere).....But they had a large tent set up with a cashe.......In case their cabin burned down....no help around.

Great idea..........Got me thinking now....

Not real sure how well it would work around here, pretty populated....can't even hide a body for long (joke!)

MF used to leave 5 gal buckets(with cover) all over the woods, with TP, visqueen(rain coat, cover), or a piece of styrofoam (to sit on), as well as snacks, matches, water.

Used them to sit on, haul them out and leave them there.....

So now this thread makes me think of a "Lower 48 cashe", based on a 5 gal buckets........Hummmm.

What would I put in one?

I remember that episode. The family was one of the five that was grandfathered in and were able to continue living in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. I remember the cache tent and his "freezer". Moose, bear, and assorted critters hanging from a line outside the cabin.

kyratshooter
05-23-2012, 03:06 PM
If I were working out of remote base camps I woudl want a few of those caches scattered around in case something happened, espically if I had a hunting party out in the bush.

Here in KY it would not work so well. About the time I got a hole dug to about 5 gallon bucket size the zoning inspector would be stopping by wanting to know WTH I thought I was doing digging up the ground without a building permit.

Besides, I struck water at two feet last week. My cache would float out of the ground!

hunter63
05-23-2012, 04:48 PM
........Then diggers hot line would show up and argue about you digging with out their permission, then the state would require a environmental impact report, and have to do a survey so as to not dig in a "wet land".

Lets not forget the feds can't even imagine how many agencies would need to get their report..........Ah to heck with it.
Still like the idea of 5 gal buckets though.....Hummmm

PS think I'm kidding about the "wet land thing"?....Well those boys take their stuff serious......found this in a swamp, a "No Shut moment"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0451.jpg

sjj
05-23-2012, 05:02 PM

Pal334
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
I think this is the video you guys were talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syKgMfbG1AY&feature=related

Rick
05-23-2012, 07:44 PM
quote=Cowgirl]
One day he'll be hiding another and come across the old one. "Jackpot! Oh wait. It's already my stuff".[/quote]

I snorted on that one. That's pretty funny.

Hey SD - Did you remember to keep out a shovel and pick so you can get to these tin cans in the winter if something does happen? (Probably buried both in one of the caches)

hunter63
05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
I think this is the video you guys were talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syKgMfbG1AY&feature=related

Yeah, Thats the guy......the spare 'house" really makes you think....What would I do if....?

Cast-Iron
05-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Dehydrated lime wedges, salt and shot glasses........maybe even triple sec and a 2-stroke blender (if you can find the ice) And if you cut back on the Mountain House, you might have room for a bit more Tequilla.........