PDA

View Full Version : has anybody use this?

hillbilly1987
02-24-2008, 09:14 PM
hi guys and gals i was just wonderin if anybody here uses thoes five in one whissles that you can put surrvival stuff in? the only reason why i ask is becouse i have 2 of them and one is for my dad and the other is for me and i still yet got to get one for my mom and i think they are very useful and nice and small and i was wonderin what do you guys think about them? just wonderin thats all

take care hillbilly

p.s. heres the picture and site www.become.com/shop?q=5-in-1+survival+whistle

henderson616
02-24-2008, 09:20 PM
no they are gay

Sourdough
02-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Five in one whissles....??? That are you talking about....??? Did you just have a tooth extracted???????

hillbilly1987
02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
ok looks like ill have to show a pic or site

Sam
02-24-2008, 09:30 PM
no they are gay

Hey henderson616, don't hold back huh. Think before typing.
As to the 5 in 1 tool it seems ok. I don't use them myself, but a few friends have them in their kits. Just remember, there is no striker for matches. The flint bar on the bottom is a sparker.

beerrunner13
02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
no they are gay

A very useful and insighfull post. Is your mommy aware you are on the computer?

No Hillbilly I never saw them.

hillbilly1987
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
A very useful and insighfull post. Is your mommy aware you are on the computer?

No Hillbilly I never saw them.

yes my mommy knows im on the computer hahaha you gotta remember im 20:D

mbarnatl
02-24-2008, 09:38 PM
First it is a pea type whistle. It is not that loud of a whistle. Breaks easy.

beerrunner13
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
yes my mommy knows im on the computer hahaha you gotta remember im 20:D

Sorry bud that was aimed at the clown that called them gay

Sourdough
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't use them myself, .[/QUOTE]

SAM, You stole that from "Rocky" ONE. After he wins the fight, his trainer says, Hey, Rocky now you got da' money you can buy a condominium. Rocky Say's Naaa I don't use those things.:p

hillbilly1987
02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Sorry bud that was aimed at the clown that called them gay

ohhh my bad i didnt know you ment him

mbarnatl
02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
@hillbilly1987: If you read through the survival kit threads, you see what types of whistles that are of better quality used by other members. The one you mention above is not that good of quality.

crashdive123
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
hillbilly: I don't care for that type of whistle. They're not as loud as some. I prefer http://www.puddledockers.com/Storm_Safety_Whistle_p/storm-whistle.htm

but since you already have it, there's nothing wrong with backups.

Rick
02-24-2008, 10:40 PM
My preference is the howler.

http://www.bestglide.com/howler_whistle.html

mbarnatl
02-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Forgot to tell you what I use:
I carry a ACME Tornado Model 636(glows in the dark) on my keychain kit and a Fox-40 Rescue Howler in my survival kit.

crashdive123
02-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I've got several of the howlers too. Not quite as loud as the storm whistle, but small and dependable.

dilligaf2u2
02-25-2008, 05:17 AM
I have seen them! Save your money and get something useful.

Joe(beerunner13) I thought you were gay! Liz's says you are the happiest guy she knows. I am happy, are you happy? That makes us all gay and merry!

I really do not like the term gay. I prefer to say SDI. Pronounced CITY. Sexually Disturbed Individual. Mentaly bent works too!

Don

Rick
02-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Don - You do have a way with words.

Hillbilly - mbarnatl brought up a good point. Stay away from pea whistles. The pea can freeze in place if it gets wet and it's cold. If that happens, the whistle is useless. Look for a pea-less whistle. The Storm, Tornado and Howler are all pea-less.

Sarge47
02-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Don - You do have a way with words.

Hillbilly - mbarnatl brought up a good point. Stay away from pea whistles. The pea can freeze in place if it gets wet and it's cold. If that happens, the whistle is useless. Look for a pea-less whistle. The Storm, Tornado and Howler are all pea-less.

Why do people always ask what we think AFTER they buy said item? Shouldn't they ask BEFORE? RICK: There are times when you need a good pea (snicker).
Also, the pea can asorb moisture and swell up, lodging inside the small compartment making it useless. Somebody's making a fortune selling these to Nimrods.:cool:

Rick
02-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Have I talked about the value of drinking......oh, never mind.

Beo
02-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Gay means merry or joyful? Now I know:D

hillbilly1987
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
hahahah jim i know what you mean! owell i thought i bought a good one but i gouss not but thank you everybody for puting in your input and i enjoy laerning alot from here

mbarnatl
02-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Next time ask before you buy! It can save you money, frustration and possibly may save your life.

An example:
I just purchased a CamelBak HAWG for $59... MSRP was $159. These guys and gals of this forum answered alot of my questions and found me a great deal on one.

zaebra
02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
i would agree with most of the (relative) posts above about this particular whistle. while i'm all for multi-function items, i think that this particular style is just a jumble of cheap-quality gadgets that wouldn't really work if you really needed it. they'd be great for a youth playing in the woods behind the house, but if you're going to put yourself a mile or more into the wilderness, would you want $2.95 to be the premium you paid for your life insurance?

i'm not saying buy the most expensive, just make sure you get the best for what you can afford. the storm whistle is excellent, and you can get a decent compass for about $10. the matches and striking flint are kinda stupid in a world where you can get a butane lighter (with about 200 times as many flames) for a buck or two.

honestly, if you're doing this as a family project, i would recommend getting a compass or two and forget about the whistle. then, learn more about using a compass and navigating with maps, then take your family out and teach them what you learned. this way you'll have a family activity that would be also be very educational. a whistle *might* get you rescued if someone hears it; it puts your welfare in the hands (ears?) of others. knowing how to navigate with a compass (and later without a compass) puts you in charge of your survival.

naturally, having both with you on your keychain with your helicopter keys would be ideal, but if i had to choose where to put my money, it'd be on a compass. just my opinion!

crashdive123
02-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I've gotta disagree with a couple of your points Goldrydd. Having a back-up source (or three) for fire making is not a bad idea. Ever try lighting a bic when it's really, really cold? A good compass and knowing how to use it is great. There are times that a good whistle may be more useful. (fell of the trail, lying in the brush with a broken leg).

Rick
02-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I'd recommend both and I think most on here would too. Learning to navigate by compass is sound advice for anyone. Just remember that if worse comes to worse, you can blow a whistle all day long. You can't call for help very long before your voice gives out.

Canadian-guerilla
02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
nothing wrong with any multi-use item
and you can always modify it to your own use

i always make sure my sister and neice have a Fox40 whistle in their purses

Sarge47
02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
1st, if it's the "gadget" over nothing, then the "gadget" wins; it's better than nothing. However it's still a step or two below a "Ranger Rick Survival Necklace". It also has the same potential problem that the hollow-handled "Rambo" knife has...if you lose it there goes your Survival gear. Hillbilly, here's what's fun...design your own Survival equipment. Everybody should carry a water-proof match case and if yours has all those extra doo-dads, well, so what? As long as that's not the only same items you're carrying. Use the "gizmo" for a matchsafe, then pick up a good compass, Whistle, mirror, etc., and put those items in a container of sorts that you can stow in your pocket somewheres. You've already bought the item so why not use it? As long as that's not the only thing you're counting on what's it hurt? (BTW, I believe there's a small signalling mirror inside the lid of the match safe, right?) I believe in redunantcies, so go for it!:cool:

Sarge47
02-25-2008, 11:35 PM
Always ask here 1st before buying anything as many members know of cheaper places to buy the same product. Here's a place by name of "Emergency Essentials" which sells the same item for half of what you paid for it. Check out their whole site while you're there!

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_cm%20w400

ENJOY!:D

Gray Wolf
02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I agree with Rick, I like the howler, to me it's the best so far. I keep trying different pea-less whistles when they come out. Hey why not, for a couple of bucks...

Gray Wolf
02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Even Kershaw has gotten into the pea-less whistle business, and they're having a special on them when you buy 5. I'll try those next.

Lost Lebowski
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
gotta concur with the guys on the storm wistle. I have had the same one for 12 years. I got it when I was an MP for garrison duty and be careful I blew my own hearing many times . It's so loud supposedly there is no limit to how loud it can get other than your lung capacity! I've never tried but I believe the packaging says it works under water as well?