PDA

View Full Version : Searching for desolate areas (S. Europe)

risky
05-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Hello handsome people

I want to do some camping trips in Southern Europe to gain experience in living off the wild before doing a longer stretch out in either the U.S, Colombia or Australia. Bascally I want to live off the grid when times get harsh. My question is how would I find out how desolate an area of a country is. I'm asking because google maps just shows a picture but I can't really see how far away it is from the taxman, and park rangers of course. I used a topographic map for inland Spain to follow the streams and rivers but they always had trails around them, until it travels through mountain passageways.

Are there any general tips on finding out the areas' isolation from civilisation?

Rick
05-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Welcome home. You haven't told us what your level of knowledge or experience is. If all you want to do is camping to hone your skills why does it have to be in isolation? I'm sure many areas offer back country camping just check the parks web sites. Beyond that you are probably on someone else's property. You'll have to follow the rules in government owned land and seek permission on privately owned land. No different that anywhere else.

crashdive123
05-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh KRat.............http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii67/crashdive123/Forum%20Fun/mega3.gif

Rick
05-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Don't do that to him. His blood pressure will shoot up. He'll have to take a nitro. He won't get the porch done and he'll be so upset he'll probably burn himself again pouring hot lead.