PDA

View Full Version : Trichinosis and infected meat

volnomuvolya
05-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello!
I guess none of you would not want to get sick trichinellosis, infected by bushmeat. This is very dangerous disease caused by the larvae Trichinella Spiralic

kyratshooter
05-12-2012, 07:42 PM
This is a universal disease among wild game animals world wide.

Just cook any "bushmeat" to well done and the infestation is distroyed.

I had a friend die from this disease back in the 1960s. It was not a pleasant way to go. He was in great pain for several years before expiring.

I also lost a friend to ameobic disentary. You definately do not want to die with that!

Batch
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
We cook hog well. But for venison we like it rare. Most everything else is cooked medium.

I seem to worry more about brucellosis when processing hogs. Yet, some how I always end up with ripped latex gloves anyway. I know quite a few hunters who don't wear gloves when processing game at all.

volnomuvolya
05-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Trichinella often found in meat bear, wild boar and badger. Our hunters are show the meat in a laboratory. Who is richer. But who is not rich - its just good cooks. Aroynd 6 hours. Maybe even all night.

jcullen24
05-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I like my meat to have black crispy edges. When I eat soup it's scalding; stew is cooked for hours at a time. So take that trichinosis! :eyepoke:

KhonHd
05-14-2012, 03:25 PM
A good topic as Black Bear opens here tomorrow. For this very reason I cook my bear well done! Trichinosis does not sound like fun...

Rick
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Trichinella (T. sp.) are actually killed at a fairly low temperature (137°F) hence the age old rule of thumb to cook game and pork to an internal temperature of 160°F. Recently, recommendations have been approved to cook pork to 145°F and then remove the meat and let it set. The temperature will rise another five degrees. But remember that this is for domestic pork that does not have T. sp. worm infection. I'd still go with the 165°F rule on wild game, personally. Here is some helpful information from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/gen_info/faqs.html

volnomuvolya
05-14-2012, 06:19 PM
According to the literature data, trichinellosis infected animals following:

Wolves - up to 97% of the population
Bears - up to 90%
Foxes - up to 80%
Lynx - up to 70%
Moles - up to 50%
Arctic foxes - up to 34%
Sable - up to 25%
Boars - up to 21.4%
Wolverine - up to 20%
Martens - up to 20%
Rodents - up to 15%
Mink - up to 11.1%
Dogs - up to 4.3%
Ermine - up to 3.5%
Trichinosis is often found in polar bears, ferrets, raccoons, cats, Trichinella found in a badger, water rat, nutria, hippo, seal, walrus, hedgehog, marmot, porcupine, lion, tiger, leopard.

natertot
05-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Trichinella (T. sp.) are actually killed at a fairly low temperature (137°F) hence the age old rule of thumb to cook game and pork to an internal temperature of 160°F. Recently, recommendations have been approved to cook pork to 145°F and then remove the meat and let it set. The temperature will rise another five degrees. But remember that this is for domestic pork that does not have T. sp. worm infection. I'd still go with the 165°F rule on wild game, personally. Here is some helpful information from the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/gen_info/faqs.html

Good stuff, Rick!

kyratshooter
05-19-2012, 02:10 PM
One could also use that as a list of meats from which NOT TO MAKE JERKY.

Rick
05-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Ahem.....For those of us that heat the meat to at least 155°F that wouldn't be a worry. For those that don't, and you know who you are, they'll probably be knocking on my door some some yummy in the tummy Mole jerky.

northernbc
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
we eat bear fairly regular and as it is well cooked do not worry about it. i think this was more associated with garbage bears.

Rick
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I was just reading an article on this from Alaska Epidemiology. According to them ALL Bears in Alaska should be considered affected and freezing will not kill the cysts because they have become acclimated to the cold!

"T. nativa in Alaska bear and walrus meat is cold-resistant. Unlike pork, freezing arctic meat will NOT kill larval cysts. Bear or walrus meat is safe once the entire piece is completely cooked to a gray color. USDA recommends attaining an internal temperature of at least 160° F. Microwaving may not render meat safe as cooking may be uneven."

(Their emphasis, not mine)

"It is prudent to assume that all bears in Alaska are infected."

http://www.epi.alaska.gov/bulletins/docs/b2000_18.htm

mountainmark
05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
According to the literature data, trichinellosis infected animals following:

Wolves - up to 97% of the population
Bears - up to 90%
Foxes - up to 80%
Lynx - up to 70%
Moles - up to 50%
Arctic foxes - up to 34%
Sable - up to 25%
Boars - up to 21.4%
Wolverine - up to 20%
Martens - up to 20%
Rodents - up to 15%
Mink - up to 11.1%
Dogs - up to 4.3%
Ermine - up to 3.5%
Trichinosis is often found in polar bears, ferrets, raccoons, cats, Trichinella found in a badger, water rat, nutria, hippo, seal, walrus, hedgehog, marmot, porcupine, lion, tiger, leopard.

I have always heard that rabbits carried this as well. Should I assume I have false info b/c they didn't make the list?

crashdive123
05-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Maybe Russia uses a different list.

Rick
05-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Would rabbits contract it? I've never heard of that. They are grass eaters not scavengers.

mountainmark
05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Would rabbits contract it? I've never heard of that. They are grass eaters not scavengers.

I don't know, found a couple of sites online that mentioned it but they didn't give source info. They do eat their own young if disturbed, but are generally vegetarian. i would just cook them well to be sure I guess.

flatlander88
06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Great info!

Woodmaster750
06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
As a kid at the ranch and to this day when I Kill wild game, I wipe the meat down with vinegar water cover and let stand in a cool place. When I get rabbit and squirrel and rattlepies also heart and liver I let sit over night in viegar water. This does not hurt the meat and it helps to kill most unwanted bugs in the meat. cooking does the rest. I never have had bad meat doing it this way.
In Marine Survival school we were told any Fur-bearing mammal killed in the wild should be cooked well or no blood is in the meat...

Rick
06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Jesse - None of the organisms would be killed by the vinegar. I can't see that it would do any harm and if it works for you that's fine. I'd suggest cooking is what destroys the pathogens rather then the vinegar. Vinegar is only 5-10% acetic acid so it's not likely to kill anything. It will probably tenderize the meat just as soaking ribs in vinegar would.

wholsomback
07-23-2012, 03:02 PM
To help diminish any contaminates washing well would work as well as the vinager,but for killing parisites Rick is right,the heat is what is needed especially for predatory animals.We eat alot of coons down here so done is done.